Door alignment

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Barbour
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 2002 TF 135 LEF PUU

Door alignment

Post by Barbour » Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:33 pm

Couldn't find much usable info on this, except that it seems to be quite common..

The right side door (drivers side on RHD, passenger side on LHD) is not sagging, but misaligned.

Any hands-on tips on how to correct this are very much appreciated!
Cheers!

Safety fast, S3XY, Born from jets...

Xpower grey 2002 MG-TF 135 SP CP
Steel grey 2003 Ford Mondeo Estate Centennial
Blue 2019 Tesla Model 3 SR+
Anthracite 1998 MG-F 1.8 Mpi (sold)
Silver 2002 Saab 9-5 Aero Estate (sold)

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Re: Door alignment

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:27 pm

I'd have a look at the lower hinge - usually alignment is pretty good from the factory - certainly not out like this - so I guess the hinge has been removed from the A-pillar in the past?

mgtfnut
MGF Register Region: South Wales
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by mgtfnut » Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:01 pm

I've just replaced the driver's door hinges and sort of had the same problem.
If the shut lines look ok, try opening the door and slightly loosening the bolts of hinge to door. Then shut the door carefully on the partial latch and gently thump with your hand to get the bottom of the door to line up. Trial and error to get just enough slackness to get movement, but not so much that the door will move under it's own weight. If the door is fully tightened/ latched the door seals will hold the door firm! Then, of course, carefully tighten the bolts back up quickly.
I also slackened and re-tightened the top hinge bolts to remove any residual tension.
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k
Skoda Yeti SE 110 4x4 - 131k

Barbour
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 2002 TF 135 LEF PUU

Post by Barbour » Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:14 am

Rob Bell wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:27 pm
I'd have a look at the lower hinge - usually alignment is pretty good from the factory - certainly not out like this - so I guess the hinge has been removed from the A-pillar in the past?
I guess, the car has had front damage in the past, partial respray of the front.
mgtfnut wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:01 pm
I've just replaced the driver's door hinges and sort of had the same problem.
If the shut lines look ok, try opening the door and slightly loosening the bolts of hinge to door. Then shut the door carefully on the partial latch and gently thump with your hand to get the bottom of the door to line up. Trial and error to get just enough slackness to get movement, but not so much that the door will move under it's own weight. If the door is fully tightened/ latched the door seals will hold the door firm! Then, of course, carefully tighten the bolts back up quickly.
I also slackened and re-tightened the top hinge bolts to remove any residual tension.
Thanks for the tips folks,

I've tried it, but to very little effect so far...

Except that now the window won't go up anymore :roll:

Sigh.. Or as our youngsters say, FML...
Cheers!

Safety fast, S3XY, Born from jets...

Xpower grey 2002 MG-TF 135 SP CP
Steel grey 2003 Ford Mondeo Estate Centennial
Blue 2019 Tesla Model 3 SR+
Anthracite 1998 MG-F 1.8 Mpi (sold)
Silver 2002 Saab 9-5 Aero Estate (sold)

mgtfnut
MGF Register Region: South Wales
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by mgtfnut » Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:54 am

Forgive me - but you might have to be a bit more brutal :roll:

Your TF in X-Power grey most likely didn't come out of the factory like that :roll:

Try again, loosen the bottom two bolts on the body side of the top hinge, leaving the top bolt intact. Then loosen the door two bolts on the bottom hinge, door side, completely, supporting the door with some protective material to protect the paint.

Carefully close the door, either fully or half latched and give the bottom of the door a good thump with the heel of you hand near the stronger area of folded door skin.

If this doesn't show results, take the bottom hinge off completely and elongate the body holes. It's a casting and will easily take a bit of abuse.
If you're really unlucky, you might bump into me at Kempenrit :oops: (two 2002 X-Power grey?)
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k
Skoda Yeti SE 110 4x4 - 131k