Hardtop for the track

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
yimpkinwoody
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley

Hardtop for the track

Post by yimpkinwoody » Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:40 pm

Hi all, I am preparing a vvc for Trackdays. I have a hardtop to fit, but that clamps down onto the hood. I was going to remove the hood to save weight, but then the hardtop cannot clamp down.
How do the Competition boys fit their hardtops? Or is it a complete re-work and bolt to the roll cage?

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Re: Hardtop for the track

Post by nigelandjo » Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:15 pm

The catches by the head rests will bolt back in once you've removed the soft top.
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

yimpkinwoody
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley

Post by yimpkinwoody » Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:00 pm

Yes, I realise that, but the hardtop rests on the folded down hood. Is it a case of fitting a rubber seal or similar to the lower rear edge of the hardtop and adjusting the catches acordingly?

mgtfnut
MGF Register Region: South Wales
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by mgtfnut » Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:51 pm

Very early cars did have hard tops that rested on the hood, but most Fs and certainly TFs use the catches which are attached with the hood fixing bolts.

It sounds like you have the bodywork catches, in which case just remove the hood, replace the catches and fit the hardtop. The hardtop is designed to rest entirely on these "catches" to overcome the original simplified fitment and avoid the rear edge of the hardtop touching the body paintwork. A little fettling will get a goodish fit, try Rimmer's MG-R exploded diagrams to get a better idea. Seals and some fittings are NLA! This is for road going cars.
Possibly ask Rob Bell, as I believe he has hardtops on his competition F for some time now.
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k
Skoda Yeti SE 110 4x4 - 131k

Geoff.F
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by Geoff.F » Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:43 pm

I removed my soft-top, Then bought a scrap frame and mounted the rear rail only for the hardtop to sit on. The clamps hold it down on the rail.
Geoff.F

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:35 pm

Pretty much as you say Jerry. I have a competition hard top from Honeybourne Mouldings, which is a little different, but essentially bolts/ hooks to the standard fitting points with the soft top removed.