Brake Pad recommendations please

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
JeremyC
MGF Register Region: South Coast

Brake Pad recommendations please

Post by JeremyC » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:11 am

Pads and discs on my 43k '96 car look ancient. They could be original. I tend to be fairly easy on my brakes though the occasional Autosolo means that there are times I need to stop hard twice in a minute or so. Any recommendations for good standard or mildly uprated pads please.

Notanumber
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: TF 135 Sunstorm

Re: Brake Pad recommendations please

Post by Notanumber » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:40 pm

Brembo or Mintex pads are both good mid priced pads for the F & TF but others will be along with their recommendations. Does yours have the standard single pot floating front calipers or the 4 pot AP calipers by the way ?

JeremyC

Post by JeremyC » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:07 pm

Standard single pot, still immensely effective though.

Yes, Mintex would have been my default choice.

Notanumber

Post by Notanumber » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:48 pm

If yours doesn't yet have one I would recommend fitting a brake servo brace. The brace prevents the bulkhead flexing when pushing on.the pedal increasing efficiency and reducing pedal effort. An inexpensive and popular upgrade

JeremyC

Post by JeremyC » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:12 am

Brace done at the weekend :) after hacking out my old style heater air inlet. I was hoping to get it out in one piece but the threaded inserts at the front were turning in the plastic so I had to cut a flap in the front (hurrah for cordless angle grinders) to get some moles on them.

I went with the MG Mania one in the end and it defnitely feels like it's made a difference. It current only has the outer bolts in. There was no way I was getting the middle one in without taking the servo right off and I wasn't in the mood for that!

Notanumber

Post by Notanumber » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:54 am

I found that. It was quite a physical struggle to get the brace lined up enough to bolt in place due to the bulkhead having stretched around the servo over time.
Whilst fitting mine I took the step of using a bit of aluminium bar along the back of the snorkel intake to hold it down more evenly as i noticed the plastic was bulging upwards between the bolts otherwise.