Flickering Light? Help Please

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
THE_DRUMBASSADOR
MGF Register Region: Scotland
Model of Car: 1.8i VVC
Location: Arbroath (East Scotland) War thone Arbroath Smokie comes fae

Flickering Light? Help Please

Post by THE_DRUMBASSADOR » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:22 pm

Hi folks.
This is my first post as a problem so i look forward to seeing how much help i can get in resolving my problem.

I have a 1.8 VVC MGF on an R registration.
The engine for some reason sounds like a Diesel on start up and remains this way throughout from start to finish of destinations.

My first question is ''Is this the tappets? & if it is what can be done easily to rectify this noise and allow the engine to run a hell of allot quieter''

Also the Oil Light on the dash flickers when the car has warmed up and the car is stuck in traffic idling. Now i know that the oil level is bang on because i check it every morning and its up to the maximum on the dipstick and the oil gauge is reading fine on the centre console?

All help to resolve the above situations will be gladly taken on board.
Than you all

artful.codger
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGZR 105+ + 04 TF135

Re: Flickering Light? Help Please

Post by artful.codger » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:36 am

Sounds like low oil pressure. The gauge on the dash is oil temp, not pressure.
How long has it been doing this as I wouldn't expect the engine to run too long without oil reaching the head.
--
Regards,
Rick.
1996 F 1.8 MPi & 2004 TF 135

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:24 am

This sounds rather worrying. The noise from the top of the engine is almost certainly due to oil starvation due to low oil pressure. I'd get things looked at immediately, or else you'll find the whole engine will need rebuilding or replacing due to run bearings :-O

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:12 pm

Possibly a blocked oil feed to the tappets caused by dirty or old oil, maybe even the sump strainer blocked, either way get at it straight away before serious damage is caused. Flush it through with flushing oil and refill with good stuff (Magnatex 10w/40 is the favourite) don't forget to change the filter too. What is it ticking over at ?, if it's too low that could cause the light to come on as insufficient oil pump pressure could give you the symptom you describe.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

THE_DRUMBASSADOR
MGF Register Region: Scotland
Model of Car: 1.8i VVC
Location: Arbroath (East Scotland) War thone Arbroath Smokie comes fae

Post by THE_DRUMBASSADOR » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:32 pm

Its ticking over fine roughly 800rpm approx and the oil light on the dash Only comes on (but not solid flickering faintly) when the engine is up to temp and engine is idling.When the engine is revved up to just over 1500 rpm the light on the dash goes out.
Is the sump easy enough to take off to get to the strainer to see if it is clogged after draining the old oil out?

Thanks for the info folks

Reckless Rat
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Post by Reckless Rat » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:51 am

That's a classic symptom of low oil pressure and probably the root of the problem is in the oil pump, not the strainer. Certainly needs sorting PDQ or you're going to trash the whole motor.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:50 am

I've always wanted to fit a combined oil temperature/ oil pressure guage - but never found one that looked 'right' with the Mk1 colour scheme and font...