MGF wont start

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
kevin50
MGF Register Region: South Midlands
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i

MGF wont start

Post by kevin50 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:24 pm

Hi new to MGf,s bought one in summer ran well. put it in garage for 2 months and now wont start, wont turn over even on jump leads. Will bump start. Just put new battery in and still wont turn over. no clicks heard when trying to start either.

Any ideas would be appreciated
thanks
kevin

Malcbox
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley
Model of Car: 1998 VVC

Re: MGF wont start

Post by Malcbox » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:49 pm

If all the usual lights are on and bright, try reseating the ignition feed on the starter motor.

You can reach the starter motor by removing the grill and reaching down; feel the spade conector on the top of the motor and slide it back and forth a few times. If it restores functionality, you might want to consider a proper dismantle and clean of the connections.

J13UTM
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire
Model of Car: 2001 Trophy 160

Post by J13UTM » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:41 am

If it's an older F take the distributor cap and rotor arm off and replace them. The parts cost about 15£££ from halfords and it's an easy job.

Also make sure the earth lead on the car is clean.
MGF VVC Panther LE
KH Cheetah Bodykit & Splitter, Roversport Spoiler, SP Exhaust, 52mmTB, Custom RamAir Induction Kit, KYB Shocks, AP Racing Clutch, ULW Fly, SS Kit, SS Coolant Pipes, Lots Of Chrome, Electric Roof, LED Lighting, TF Tailights

Geoff.F
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by Geoff.F » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:44 pm

Forget the distributor and rotor arm. They do not stop the engine turning over.
It looks like a poor connection within the starter cables/connections. Clean negative and positive connections and then use a multimeter to measure voltage drops.
Geoff F.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:26 pm

I think that Geoff is right - this sounds like a bad cable connection - earth strap or starter cable connections are the usual suspects.

J13UTM
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire
Model of Car: 2001 Trophy 160

Post by J13UTM » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:52 pm

Ahh indeed re-reading that post I see Geoffs right, however still check the earthing strap on the cars body work.
MGF VVC Panther LE
KH Cheetah Bodykit & Splitter, Roversport Spoiler, SP Exhaust, 52mmTB, Custom RamAir Induction Kit, KYB Shocks, AP Racing Clutch, ULW Fly, SS Kit, SS Coolant Pipes, Lots Of Chrome, Electric Roof, LED Lighting, TF Tailights

Charless
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 96 Mpi, 99 VVC

Post by Charless » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:06 am

Not forgetting the fact that there are two earth straps; the front inner wing to the battery -ve terminal one, but also the usually overlooked engine to bulkhead one. Both equally as important.

Having said that it does sound much more like the starter +ve connections in this case.

umfuli
MGF Register Region: Europe

Post by umfuli » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:44 pm

I have had a problem with starting an MGF and having found the problem thought I should share it.
I had an intermittent starter problem and having done all the usual checks on leads, terminals, fuses, earths etc decided to change the starter.
A difficult job at first, but now I can do it in about five minutes, having had a lot of practice.
The new starter worked several times and then didn't.
I took it out, tested it, and then put it back.
Using jumper cables from the positive terminal of the battery I determined that the solenoid was working and the starter motor spinning.
There was no reaction at all from the starter or the solenoid when using the ignition switch, although all the usual lights were working and the battery fully charged.
I found a small piece of insulating tape on the wire with the spade fitting that goes to the solenoid on the starter.
This seemed to be the site of an earlier abrasive shorting out and had burned the plastic covering of the wire.
I suppose that the fault was intermittent depending on whether the wire was shorting out or not.
I replaced that small section of wire and spade fitting and now all is well.
It maybe that friction on the wire or careless work on the engine may cause this problem, but disguising it with insulation tape was a bit "iffy".

If you have a similar problem it might be worth sliding your fingers along the wire to the spade/solenoid to see if the is a weak spot in the plastic insulation or a possible short.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:10 pm

Nice update, thanks! :thumbsu: