Hard Top Headaches

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
S67SOK
MGF Register Region: South Midlands

Hard Top Headaches

Post by S67SOK » Thu May 10, 2012 11:37 am

I collected my latest ebay purchase yesterday, a fairly nice Hard top, black with grey headlining.

It wouldnt go into the very capacious rear end of my Skoda Superb so it had to go on the roof rack for its 250 trek home. :x

When unloaded in the very strong rain last evening I noticed to previously taught headlining in the centre section had gone all floppy and when in place on the car it sags. I think as a result of being whizzed along at 70 ish and probably ingesting rain ( though it was the right way up so to speak). :oops:

Has anyone had to deal with a saggy headlining, any views on the best way to re tension please?

Also - is there likely to be wiring buried away somewhere in my 2000 my 'F' to suit the heated rear screen, I will have to buy a switch and I guess a relay but if the basic wiring is there thats not an issue - otherwise I may not bother ! :x

Dingbat
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MGTF 160 Sprint

Re: Hard Top Headaches

Post by Dingbat » Thu May 10, 2012 11:43 am

Hi, there.

The latest issue of FasTForward gives a good "how to" on replacing the hard top lining - well done Nigel and Jo.

The connector for the Heated Rear Window is buried under the rear shelf carpet on the passenger side. All the wiring is (or should be) there and, you're right, you just need a switch and relay.

HTH

Brian
Brian Dingsdale
TF 160 Sprint, VHS Dampers, glass rear window, B&G low coolant alarm, Mud flaps, rear light protectors, Powdercoated and polybushed subframes (Royal Blue). Stainless coolant pipes. Braided brake hoses. Greasable clutch release arm.

Rob Bell
    Committee Member
    MGF Register Region: South East
    Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Thu May 10, 2012 12:12 pm

Anyone know where to get headlining that matches the original material? I thought Nigel and Jo's instructions were excellent, but the material they used was a few shades darker than the original. Also, I'd like to trim the B-pillars - they're in nasty black shiney grained plastic as standard - not hugely attractive, but there again, not usually that noticeable.

S67SOK

Post by S67SOK » Thu May 10, 2012 12:14 pm

Thanks Brian - ill have a furk about !

Tipper
    Model of Car: RV8 + ZS180

Post by Tipper » Thu May 10, 2012 1:39 pm

I investigated the correct fabric but couldn't find anything at a good price and was concerned that the adhesive used may stain through. In the end I relined mine with black leather look vinyl. Looks good to me. Easy job too if you don't mind Evostik fumes!

Softly~Softly
    Model of Car: MGF1.8VVC TF135. 160

Post by Softly~Softly » Thu May 10, 2012 1:48 pm

Tipper wrote:I investigated the correct fabric but couldn't find anything at a good price and was concerned that the adhesive used may stain through. In the end I relined mine with black leather look vinyl. Looks good to me. Easy job too if you don't mind Evostik fumes!
    Have you got any photos please ?
    For all MG/Rover .. MGWW MGWorldWide https://www.facebook.com/groups/midland ... p_activity

Rob Bell
    Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Thu May 10, 2012 1:50 pm

Leather look vinyl's a good idea. Might see whether I can get some pale grey. Where did you get yours? Sometimes see this stuff at car shows...?

Malcbox
    MGF Register Region: Thames Valley
    Model of Car: 1998 VVC

Post by Malcbox » Thu May 10, 2012 9:36 pm

Something like this, maybe?

I work in aircraft interior refurbishment and we use a product from e-Leather. Natch, being aircraft standard you can add a couple of zeros to the price, but we occasionally swip end of line partial rolls; I might be able to salvage a few meters.

On the downside, the most popular interior trim of a commercial airliner is a shade of blue......

nigelandjo
    Committee Member & Regional Rep
    MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
    Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Post by nigelandjo » Thu May 10, 2012 10:00 pm

We bought the black as the trader at the NEC Classic Car Show didn't have any grey with them, but they did say that they had grey, so it is available. You just need to track it down... As our interior is black the black matches the rest of the interior.
    Nigel May
    Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
    Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
    members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

Rob Bell
    Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Fri May 11, 2012 10:27 am

Malcbox wrote:Something like this, maybe?

I work in aircraft interior refurbishment and we use a product from e-Leather. Natch, being aircraft standard you can add a couple of zeros to the price, but we occasionally swip end of line partial rolls; I might be able to salvage a few meters.

On the downside, the most popular interior trim of a commercial airliner is a shade of blue......
    That link is very interesting - there's a navy blue there that could be perfect for re-trimming the seat centres on our Royal Blue coloured ZTT! :thumbsu:

I'll contact them and see whether I can get some colour samples :)

Back to the head lining - if you do ever get some light grey in Malc, then yes, I'd definitely be interested! :)
    nigelandjo wrote:We bought the black as the trader at the NEC Classic Car Show didn't have any grey with them, but they did say that they had grey, so it is available. You just need to track it down... As our interior is black the black matches the rest of the interior.
    I'll check out the stands at MG Live and see what's available 8-)

Malcbox
    MGF Register Region: Thames Valley
    Model of Car: 1998 VVC

Post by Malcbox » Sat May 12, 2012 9:32 am

Glad I could help; there's plenty more suppliers out there - Google "Leather Cloth" for a bigger choice.

The only colour we have scheduled to go is a rather milky silver grey; PM me if you want a swatch in an envelope.

And just so it's clear, the typo in the OM is SKIP end of line rolls, not swipe end of line rolls - wouldn't want to give the impression that there was anything illegal going on Image

GazMG
    MGF Register Region: South Coast
    Model of Car: 1.8i

Post by GazMG » Sun May 13, 2012 7:37 pm

The Range, if you have any of those stores locally guys, does some great leatherette/vinyl stuff at very sensible prices.

MGBev
    MGF Register Region: Midlands
    Model of Car: MGF

Post by MGBev » Fri May 25, 2012 3:23 pm

Dingbat wrote:Hi, there.

The latest issue of FasTForward gives a good "how to" on replacing the hard top lining - well done Nigel and Jo.

The connector for the Heated Rear Window is buried under the rear shelf carpet on the passenger side. All the wiring is (or should be) there and, you're right, you just need a switch and relay.

HTH

Brian
    Hi Brian
    can you get back copies of FasTForward? Not subscribed as yet. My lining has come down a little near one of the catches. It was in the garage hanging up about a fortnight when we had that heatwave earlier in the year. I don't know to the garage roof leaking and it doesn't look like it's had water on it elsewhere, but there is a mark where the lining has come away from the roof. Does that make sense? :?
    cheers
    Bev

Rich in Vancouver
    MGF Register Region: Canada

Post by Rich in Vancouver » Fri May 25, 2012 4:52 pm

I recently got a hard top from Japan and it came with a nasty shiny black headliner.
    Fitting a grey replacement is on my list of things to do before winter.

Dingbat

Post by Dingbat » Fri May 25, 2012 5:48 pm

Hi, Bev.

The headlining article is in the last edition, so you should be able to get a copy.

Try this link:

http://www.mgfregister.org/fastforward/current

You really should subscribe - it's money well spent!

HTH

Brian
    Brian Dingsdale
    TF 160 Sprint, VHS Dampers, glass rear window, B&G low coolant alarm, Mud flaps, rear light protectors, Powdercoated and polybushed subframes (Royal Blue). Stainless coolant pipes. Braided brake hoses. Greasable clutch release arm.

Dingbat

Post by Dingbat » Fri May 25, 2012 5:50 pm

Just noticed that this link SAYS current issue, but actually illustrates the spring 2011 issue.

Not sure what's going on there.

Brian
      Brian Dingsdale

MGBev
        MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by MGBev » Tue May 29, 2012 10:45 am

Thanks Brian - will take a look

Dieter K
        MGF Register Region: Europe
        Model of Car: '99 MGF 1.8i

Post by Dieter K » Tue May 29, 2012 11:23 am

Dingbat wrote:Hi, Bev.

The headlining article is in the last edition, so you should be able to get a copy.

Try this link:

http://www.mgfregister.org/fastforward/current

You really should subscribe - it's money well spent!

HTH

Brian
        Current means in this case: Current available on the internet for none subscribers as an appetizer :kiss:
        Would be silly if the MGF Register would spread the stuff FOC on the internet while fellow subscribers like me pay for, isn't ist ?
        :thumbsu:
        Come on, get in and share your experiance with us :D
        http://www.mgfregister.org/shop/40-fast ... ption.html
        MGF 1.8i, PTS. HEF-MG96

cath's mg
        MGF Register Region: Hertfordshire

Post by cath's mg » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:36 pm

Hope this reply is not to late.
        We have just relined our hard top and managed to get the Headlining from a local friendly scrap yard ( yep thats right friendly).
        Only cost a fiver :D . Just need to make sure you find a donor car with a big enough roof.
        We used Homebase carpet tile spray adhesive which didnt seep through at all, and stuck like s**t to a blanket.

Gary & cath
        Cath's car but Gary's plaything :-)

S67SOK

Post by S67SOK » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:57 pm

Interesting Idea and thanks.

My plan though now is to putchase some cream material to match door cards and seats ( from a Mk1) and 'do' the whole of the headlining and side pillars. I think that will make it lighter and more 'together'.

all the best jeremy