Excessive "whine" in 1st and 2nd

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
ElectroSoldier
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 'я' MGF 1.8i VVC

Excessive "whine" in 1st and 2nd

Post by ElectroSoldier » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:02 am

Ok so Ive just had the clutch done and while the garage was fixing the clutch they said they would also replace the thrust bearing, which is what I was told is causing the whine, but its getting worse all the time now(((

It goes like this.

Engine running in neutral theres a noise that sounds like a very very low grind of a bearing thats on its last legs, when I press the clutch the noise goes, not completely but nowhere near as bad (this noise isn't loud but I noise it 100% but with road noise you cant hear it over the tires)

Then theres the other problem which is this.

1st gear pulling away to about 4k rpm (or lower or higher doesn't really matter the rpm)
when I press the clutch I become aware of a whine, that isn't quite a whine its more like a whurr'ing noise that is also there if

for instance Im coming to a set of lights on red, in 4th, I know I'm going to have to stop so I get it read to pull away again either in 2nd or 1st... which the clutch still depressed i pop it into gear but I get the whurr'ing sound from 1st and 2nd (not 3rd or 4th).... The noise is there while coasting at any speed (say 30mph) when the clutch is depressed and in 1st or 2nd gear is "engaged"... though it isnt engaged because the clutch is down

I tried to make a vid of it but the sound is only of road noise so excuse the stupid words to describe it all...
I'm just at my wits end with her, I know theres something wrong but I don't know exactly what and what I'm looking at replacing... I don't want to go and get a recon box for the sake of something that is much cheaper.

PLEASE advise, Ive managed to find the most amazing and cheap mech but he isn't 100% on MGF/TF so I would like to give him something than "I don't like that noise"

Reckless Rat
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Re: Excessive "whine" in 1st and 2nd

Post by Reckless Rat » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:48 am

Have you checked the gearbox oil level AND used the correct oil (it's important)

Chris Tideswell
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by Chris Tideswell » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:06 am

Reckless Rat wrote:Have you checked the gearbox oil level AND used the correct oil (it's important)
I agree it has to be he first place to look.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:03 am

In case you need one, second hand PG1 gearboxes are currently listed on fleabay from 40quid as a buy it now... :)

ElectroSoldier
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 'я' MGF 1.8i VVC

Post by ElectroSoldier » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:51 pm

I took it to my mech today he said there is a problem but he wants to dig around inside... dont know what the problem is until he can see it, its a bearing somewhere along the line, and with 128k+ miles on it its not surprising it might be rejecting its only appendage