MGF fog lamp templates

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

MGF fog lamp templates

Post by Rob Bell » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:59 pm

When I last borrowed the fog lamp mounting templates from Dieter, I made a paper copy. It's crude, and the molded plastic is larger than an A4 sheet of paper, and difficult to translate a 3D shape into 2D - so it's not exactly ideal. But something is better than nothing. Each side is made of two images. Overlap so that the fog lamp hole is overlapping in both. The upper half is delineated by the indicator aperture. The lower half is positioned to the molding shape of the bumper... you'll see what I mean when you offer it up.

I'd stick both to the bumper and take your time. This is not a fool-proof method of marking up where the fog lamp holes should be cut, so be confident that both holes are even and are identically spaced from the centre line.

Each of the attached images should be printed on an A4 sheet, with zero margin. They are 1:1 scale.

Hopefully this will be of help to someone?
LH upper template
LH upper template
LH lower template
LH lower template
Fog lamp hole cutting template.pdf
PDF version of hole cutting template
(1.21 MiB) Downloaded 122 times
RH upper template
RH upper template
RH lower template
RH lower template

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Re: MGF fog lamp templates

Post by Rob Bell » Wed May 09, 2012 9:53 am

If it ever dries out again, I may try offering these templates up to my two MGFs - one has the fogs fitted, the other doesn't (I am considering using these cut outs for brake cooling purposes - but I think that this can wait a while... ;))

GazMG
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 1.8i

Post by GazMG » Wed May 09, 2012 11:31 pm

Thanks Rob - as promised! Just need to source t'other bracket then we're cooking on gas.

Tomcatciller
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: Mk1 MPI /Mk2 Trophy

Post by Tomcatciller » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:19 am

Hello Guys,

I got a tip with a link to this Topic in German MGF Forum and printed the PDFs.

The Result is the following:

Indicators and Fog lamp Bezel fit to the papers, but in lenght the papers are to short. At the lower end the cut paper dont match the lower end of the front bumper.

Can somebody messure the distance between indicator and fog lamp?

Reckless Rat
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Post by Reckless Rat » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:35 pm

Not sure those exhaust pipes will fit those apertures - the tailpipes look too close together to me....

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:11 pm

Tomcatciller wrote:Hello Guys,

I got a tip with a link to this Topic in German MGF Forum and printed the PDFs.

The Result is the following:

Indicators and Fog lamp Bezel fit to the papers, but in lenght the papers are to short. At the lower end the cut paper dont match the lower end of the front bumper.

Can somebody messure the distance between indicator and fog lamp?
I think you've only cut out and stuck on the upper parts of the template? You've be right - that won't be long enough. Print out the upper and lower templates: the complete template is a combination of both. Note that I have drawn the fog lamp hole in both so overlap the upper and lower using the fog lamp outline as the reference point to form the complete (larger than A4!) template.

Hope that explains it? Let us know how you get on! :)

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:12 pm

Oops, sorry - it does look as though you've done that. In that case, it is likely that when you printed the images, it was rescaled by your printer.

Ensure that when you have the printer configured, you set "0" borders and print actual size (and not "scaled to fit")

Tomcatciller
Model of Car: Mk1 MPI /Mk2 Trophy

Post by Tomcatciller » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:24 pm

Hello

I printed them again. I took a photo.

The A4 sheet is still not 100% full, there is a gap in the lower area (marked red).

Another question is the side. Are they Intentional made to be attached to the car so that word can be read? In the photo above you can see that the written side is readable (visible). But there is also the option to turn the sheet so that the written side is facing towards the bumper and not readable.

StirlingV8
MGF Register Region: South Wales
Model of Car: Trophy 160

Post by StirlingV8 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:11 pm

...and if anyone needs bezels, looks like they are (finally) available agin here...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-Fog-Ligh ... Swd0pd0ApW

Will try to get some and see how it goes...

Tim