Headlight units

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Nick-Abbi
MGF Register Region: South Coast

Headlight units

Post by Nick-Abbi » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:41 pm

Hi People,

The F has been MOT'd and it failed on one thing ... the headlights... apparantly they are not bright enough, and its not the bulbs, its the back? The refelectors are not bright enough? Hence I now require 2 headlight units. Does anyone have any to sell?

Cheers Nick

willyphixitt
MGF Register Region: Elsewhere
Model of Car: 2006(reg) TF135

Re: Headlight units

Post by willyphixitt » Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:29 pm

Hi Nick,

The heat from the bulbs deteriorate the reflectors. I'd removed my units some months ago and found the silvering easily wiped off the front parts. I've painted them matt black and hardly touched the main reflectors as I was worried I might damage them. I've seen better chrome plating on model boat plastic fittings going back to the sixties. Need to find somebody that re-chromes/re-silvers headlamps. Maybe somebody in the UK will read this and advise. I'm stuck out in Jersey, and there's nothing over here.

Good luck

Bill aka willyphixitt

nellyandjoo
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: MGTF 135

Post by nellyandjoo » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:34 pm

willyphixitt wrote:Hi Nick,

The heat from the bulbs deteriorate the reflectors. I'd removed my units some months ago and found the silvering easily wiped off the front parts. I've painted them matt black and hardly touched the main reflectors as I was worried I might damage them. I've seen better chrome plating on model boat plastic fittings going back to the sixties. Need to find somebody that re-chromes/re-silvers headlamps. Maybe somebody in the UK will read this and advise. I'm stuck out in Jersey, and there's nothing over here.

Good luck

Bill aka willyphixitt
Have you seen the other thread on headlights in the Technical page? might help. :)

Nelly.
Mid Life Crisis

willyphixitt
MGF Register Region: Elsewhere
Model of Car: 2006(reg) TF135

Post by willyphixitt » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:55 pm

Thanks Nelly,

Saw the other info after I'd replied. Just the job.

willyphixitt

Nick-Abbi
MGF Register Region: South Coast

Post by Nick-Abbi » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:08 pm

Hi Folks !!

Thanks to you all for your help regarding my lights. It seems that it is a common fault with the F's !! .. another one, but we still love um !!

I have opted to buy new lights from an MG parts dealer in Sussex (just up the road from us). He charged £98 inc vat per side which I didn't think was too bad considering most others where around the £125 mark. I did think about Ebay, but they could be ex MOT failures themselves as most where not guarenteed of their history?

I will endevour to fit them on Saturday... I hope it isn't difficult :|

.... oh forgot to say, I did give the Metallising guy a call... He charges £70+vat for both units and £15 p&p to re chrome these babies. His turn around time is about 2 weeks at the mo, he's had a fire in the workshop, so it's put him back a while.
The MOT needs to be re done by Monday, so the time scale wouldn't allow.

Cheers Nick

Rick
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: 'F #72 TF135 Conv

Post by Rick » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:45 pm

Could you post his details on here so that others can contact him if needs be!!! :D :thumbsu:

Cheers... :thumbsu:

Rick

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:35 pm