Car Battery sizes: MGF and TF

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Re: Car Battery sizes: MGF and TF

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:31 pm

You got to love the TR5! Well, I do anyway - but then I love the MGC too - but it may be how you want to define what exactly makes a "Sports car" - a C-type Jaguar perhaps?

Rich in Vancouver
MGF Register Region: Canada

Post by Rich in Vancouver » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:30 am

Geoff.F wrote:Triumph did not make a decent sports car after the TR2.
As for the Optima Red Top, if I am reading their Website correctly then it has a capacity of 50AH. The VARTA 075 has a Capacity of 61AH. I will test it again in Switzerland soon.
Geoff F
I also have to disagree. The TR2/3 was a truck. The TR4/5/6 were all much better cars to drive and the 7/8 were much better cars than the press gave them credit for.

As for batteries. If you exhaust a 50AH battery trying to start an MGF you have bigger problems than the battery! :o

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:48 pm

I saw a TR8 blasting up the M1 this morning, I was at 70 as he went past!
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Androlyn
MGF Register Region: South Coast

Post by Androlyn » Fri May 13, 2016 5:02 pm

:thumbsu: Useful Battery info, thanks folks, until it veered off topic a tad :lol:

TR4a or a TR5 for me :thumbsu:
Andrew

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon May 16, 2016 9:39 am

:lol: Funny how threads do that...

BTW I am now trying to figure out what the smallest/lightest battery I can get away with... :)

janelilley
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley
Model of Car: MGTF 135

Post by janelilley » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:06 pm

This message thread turned up when I was looking to replace my battery which was playing up recently.
After some research, I found the battery I had in the car when I bought it was the wrong type - an 075 model.
I was unsure what to replace with but found Rimmer Bros had a useful listing for batteries. They were advertising the 027 model for cars with PAS, which mine is being a 2005 TF and the 075 for non PAS cars.
For anyone else wondering which battery to use, I went for the 027 AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) batteries as these are apparently better (though admittedly a little more expensive) that wet cell if the car is not used regularly as a daily driver.
Tanya (www.tanya.co.uk) were by far the cheapest when I compared with the likes of Euro Car Parts. (2/3 to 1/2 the price of most of the common ones on offer.)
Hope someone finds this message useful :)
:D
MG TF 135
Mini Cooper Countryman
plus an occasional drive of hubby's MGB GT Jubilee

RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Post by RobboMC » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:47 am

Rob Bell wrote:Yes, a TR7 V8 DHC would be very nice indeed Colin! :D A genuine TR8 DHC would be nicer still of course! :lol:

BTW, back to batteries. My 1.8MPi was fitted from new with the 075 battery (it had EPAS). I wonder whether during the "Project Drive" era (where as much cost as was humanly possible was removed from the TF) the decision was made to fit the smaller battery to all cars?
I had a Nissan Pulsar Turbo like that many years ago.
The factory design boffins bolted on the blower and a set of nice wheels and a boot lid spolier
and that was about it. Trouble was the battery kept going flat even though the still standard charging system
was working as designed.

I fixed their oversight with a battery of 50% more capacity and never had a problem again.