mgf steptronic x reg

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Geoff.F
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Re: mgf steptronic x reg

Post by Geoff.F » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:17 am

Tipper wrote:[

Please, please, DON'T TOW IT !!!!
!
The criticak word is "Locally" when the bearings are still oil wet.
Geoff F.

Mykel
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Post by Mykel » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:30 pm

purplebargeken wrote:I wonder if you have breakdown cover?
I think this is a must when you own a car like ours. I am afraid the German ADAC has already invested considerably more in me being picked up than they will ever get out of my membership fees. :mrgreen:

One of our former presidents got famous with singing. He even published a record in the seventies, featuring the traditional folk song Hoch auf dem gelben Wagen, which means "up high on the yellow wagon" ... been there, done that :lol:
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org

Tipper
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: RV8 + ZS180

Post by Tipper » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:48 pm

Geoff.F wrote:
Tipper wrote:[

Please, please, DON'T TOW IT !!!!
!
The criticak word is "Locally" when the bearings are still oil wet.
Geoff F.
Actually the point here is not simply lubrication but more to do with the steel drive belt cooling which will not be present with the engine stopped.

One way round it I suppose is to tow it with the engine running as the cvt oil pump is directly driven off the flywheel thus providing some oil pump pressure for lub & cool. :thumbsu:

dumbblonde
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire

Post by dumbblonde » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:58 pm

Hi, I do have breakdown cover but it won't cover the distance take it from Lincolnshire to burton am afraid...

colintf
Committee Member & Regional Rep
Model of Car: MG PA TF160 ZTV8

Post by colintf » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:31 pm

dumbblonde wrote:Hi, I do have breakdown cover but it won't cover the distance take it from Lincolnshire to burton am afraid...
So how much to upgrade to cover that will get you to Austin Garages in Burton ??

8-)

Colin Murrell
MGF Register International Liaison Rep
MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions
MGCC Z and V8 Registers Reps for V8 ZT'/ZTTs

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm http://www.triple-mracing.com/

dumbblonde

Post by dumbblonde » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:20 pm

:Would have to check on that Colin, I have it through my account at work... Worth a try though.. :thumbsu:

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:16 am

Cunning ;)

colintf

Post by colintf » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:42 am

Rob Bell wrote:Cunning ;)

Solution orientated Rob :thumbsu:

Colin Murrell

dumbblonde

Post by dumbblonde » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:46 pm

Hi, another question if anyone can help... On starting the car should the oil pressure gauge increase instantly or the needle creep up after running for a while?? It won't bloody move again.. Arghhh.... Is this gauge an oil pressure gauge or a temperature gauge???? Hope that makes sense... And would this effect the movement??? Thanks in advance...

colintf

Post by colintf » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:54 pm

dumbblonde wrote:Hi, another question if anyone can help... On starting the car should the oil pressure gauge increase instantly or the needle creep up after running for a while?? It won't bloody move again.. Arghhh.... Is this gauge an oil pressure gauge or a temperature gauge???? Hope that makes sense... And would this effect the movement??? Thanks in advance...
Don't panic
It's oil temp not oil pressure if it's the gauge next to the clock :thumbsu:

Colin Murrell

dumbblonde

Post by dumbblonde » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:04 pm

Ok thanks Colin, just got it moving... Jumped in it again and put it in sports... Messed about with the pedals and hey presto it moves.... Hopefully get it up on ramps now...

Beetlefan
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: TF160 Monagram

Post by Beetlefan » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:33 pm

Although I know very little about these gearboxes the O.P has said that She fitted a new Battery and that now the car drives o.k, does anyone think it could be down to a duff Battery as something like that does affect the operation of the Vauxhall semi auto box which I do know quite a bit about?

Geoff.F

Post by Geoff.F » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:56 am

Beetlefan wrote:Although I know very little about these gearboxes the O.P has said that She fitted a new Battery and that now the car drives o.k, does anyone think it could be down to a duff Battery as something like that does affect the operation of the Vauxhall semi auto box which I do know quite a bit about?
I undestand that the Engine ECU switches OFF at about 11.4 volts causing a lot of the starting problems due to dirty connections or a duff battery.
To go back to the first Thread. It must be assumed that the engine had been started OK and the alternator working before failing to get Drive to go home showing that the battery was not duff.. This is why I included an engine start before checking the gearbox electrics.
All the indications are that the cause was electrical and either it was found and fixed or it is intermittent. If the latter, then whilst it is good, it will be almost impossible to find until it happens again.
The black boxes on electronic control systems are normaly very reliable but are let down by the mechanical connectors in the wiring between them This has been present since the days that they were introduced on the Concorde from which all car systems are derived.
My Preventative Maintemance Programme includes regular cleaning of connectors both system and battery.
Geoff F.

dumbblonde

Post by dumbblonde » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:15 pm

Hi, the batteries new just over 3 weeks ago...

dumbblonde

Post by dumbblonde » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:24 pm

Risked taking it to work today! Got there and back... :D

bigmac
MGF Register Region: South Coast

Post by bigmac » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:34 pm

it puzzles me why there is so little knowledge about these steptronic boxes.

as my everyday car--i have a MG ZR 120--steptronic. the car is just short of 60 thou on the clock. the box works perfectly---it suits my driving style. i would certainly have another.

my point is--rover 25's & 45's had this box--as did ZR & ZS---as well as the bw minis.---so--there must be 1000's out there. not all scrap or faulty surely?

mine makes funny twittering noises at speeds above 40--but has over the last 7000 miles since i got it.

its due an oil change--at 60 ooo---ive found out that comma do a cvt oil--as do a company called silver knight-----anyone tried them?

dumbblonde

Post by dumbblonde » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:01 pm

Didn't move today... Bloody car time to get rid.... What would anyone recommend best way to sell?

Geoff.F

Post by Geoff.F » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:45 pm

dumbblonde wrote:Didn't move today... Bloody car time to get rid.... What would anyone recommend best way to sell?
What were the symptoms ??? Did the light sequence come on ?? It looks like a simple electrical connection. It cannot be a mechanical failure when parked overnight.
Geoff F.

dumbblonde

Post by dumbblonde » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:04 pm

Hi Geoff, started.. All lights on selected reverse wouldn't... Move!! Did notice yesterday when I took it to work it snatched a bit on First movement but drove fine yesterday apart from that...it's seems to be stuck that's the only way I can describe it...

Phil Jay
Model of Car: MG TF 135

Post by Phil Jay » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:35 am

Big Mac, there is a specific oil to be used for this gearbox I understand. It's the oil BMW specify for the Rover developed Mini which they stole from the company which everyone now refers to as the BMW Mini. My wife has a ZR 120 Stepspeed and like your car, it's a superb 'box and a really great car to drive. I understand the same box has been used by Ford and Fiat, so there are thousands out their. However, I understand you need to use the right gearbox oil or you risk bu**ering it up. Nick at Austin Garages knows this box and the oil spec very well. Hope this helps. Phil