mgf steptronic x reg

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
dumbblonde
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire

mgf steptronic x reg

Post by dumbblonde » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:02 pm

hi. just wondered if anyone can HELP!!! i bought a mgf steptronic x reg 5 years ago... i had a new gearbox replaced after a year at the cost of 2k..after 6,000 miles i jumped in it after one day at work and no drive... it would select gears but no drive..rac took it home... since then its been sat on the drive for a year or so... it starts fine and drives some days and not others...i recently took it to a local garage who replaced the engine cam sensor... returned home mot done on it... after 1 day the car had the same problem..took it back to the garage they have had it for 3 months various test done, auto electronics etc... they said it was the ecu unit which was saying various fault codes.. 9 in total...now got the car home sat on the drive another auto electronic came out no outcome... can anyone please help i am at my wits end with this car love it but no one seems to know what the problem is... :?

colintf
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MG PA TF160 ZTV8

Re: mgf steptronic x reg

Post by colintf » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:05 pm

sorry to hear of your troubles.

Others have had trouble with the same gearbox so may be able to offer help.

Personally I would contact Nick and Jean at Austin Garages (http://www.austingarages.co.uk/) to see if they can help.

I know people who bring their cars from overseas to Nick and Jean's, they are THAT good!! 8-)

Colin Murrell
MGF Register International Liaison Rep
MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions
MGCC Z and V8 Registers Reps for V8 ZT'/ZTTs

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm http://www.triple-mracing.com/

Keith Williams
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MGF VVC, Trophy 160

Post by Keith Williams » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:07 pm

Moved post to the Technical Area where you may get more feedback.
1998 MGF VVC, 2001 Trophy 160 & 2013 MG6 GT TSE

dumbblonde

Post by dumbblonde » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:16 pm

thanks for replies i have emailed nick and jean.. thanks colintf... and thank you keith williams x

Geoff.F

Post by Geoff.F » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:06 am

This gearbox is very reliable with main problems being sensors,the wrong oil being used or the oill pump drive (Repairable), What was the problem with the first Gearbox ??
The probability of two failures on the same car are minimal if not non=existant.
The gearbox is common with the BMW MINI so their local Dealership may be your first place for help.
Geoff F.

dumbblonde

Post by dumbblonde » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:37 am

hi geoff.f, thanks for reply and your input... i will look to see where the nearest bmw gargae is thanks... not sure what the problem was with the first gearbox i was driving it and heard a noise and lost all drive... rac came out took it to garage who said it was the gearbox that was knackered...i had a new one put in at the cost of 2k... after running it without any problems for approx a year and only 6,000 miles i jumped in it one day after work and this problem started no drive... its been going on now for too long no one seems to know what the problem is..

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:59 pm

Is the dashboard display showing a gear selected, or just blank? I wonder whether this isn't an electrical fault?

dumbblonde

Post by dumbblonde » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:02 pm

hi rob bell, its blank... it was previously showing the gear selected but now its blank..

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:03 pm

Sounds electrical then - I don't have any direct experience with these, but from the threads I've read, it could point to a gear selector electrical problem (a quick search of the forum should throw up some useful suggestions).

Geoff.F

Post by Geoff.F » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:36 pm

Rob Bell wrote:Sounds electrical then - I don't have any direct experience with these, but from the threads I've read, it could point to a gear selector electrical problem (a quick search of the forum should throw up some useful suggestions).
My first thought was that the original failure was electrical, the gearbox was changed and now the wire has broken again. A good clean of all the sensors and connectors with contact cleaner may be the first action.
There is very little on the Forum to read as they rarely give a problem.
During the MGR demise sell off I bought a new gearchange quadrant and cable assembly complete for small change just in case.
Geoff F.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:08 am

Very sensible Geoff :)

We do get regular, if infrequent, requests regarding the Steptronic CVT. Perhaps it is time to assemble a "Frequently Asked Questions" web page for this? I am very happy to do the donkey work - but I need help to do it, not least because I don't have a Steptronic!!!

stux99
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF/TF Steppy/MGGS/3

Post by stux99 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:18 pm

Problem solved? Only just noticed this, I had similar problem and it was all down to multiplug on the front of gearbox- s good clean and all was well again

dumbblonde

Post by dumbblonde » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:02 pm

hi stu99... only just looked again at be thread thought it had died of death...just like the car...could you explain a little more as to where i locate the multiplug? or if anyone else could help where i locate this? my dad had the facility to get this up on the ramps...any help guys please

stux99

Post by stux99 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:59 pm

Hi
I will PM you

Stu

austingarages
Model of Car: MG TF135

Post by austingarages » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:26 pm

Front transmission multiplug is next the oil cooler pipes - needs to be twisted (like a bottle cap) to release...
Attachments
24022013550 - Copy.jpg
Nick and Jean

'02 TF 135 ours, '95 VVC his, '97 VVC hers!

stux99

Post by stux99 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:26 pm

Had forgotten about this one, any update?

dumbblonde

Post by dumbblonde » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:41 pm

hi, guys not been on for a while... just seen these posts thanks will ask my dad to look at that one nick and jean...stu... its still the same its currently on the drive covered up so think its time to finally do something with the car now the nicer weather is here!! either cut my losses or get it repaired properely...
its just so sad cause its taxed and insured but frustrating cause i cant trust it to drive all the time of i go out in it... it still drives most of the time but arghhhh o well... thanks again guys ...

Dammfast
MGF Register Region: East Anglia

Post by Dammfast » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:06 am

Hi

Have you tried cleaning the contacts in the gear selection sensor? Does the gearbox fault light come on? Have you tried 'waggling' the gear lever or pushing it towards the gear indicator lights? I am convinced this id the gear selection sensor. The gearboxes are generally strong, but the sensor gets dirty quite easily and everything stops. They are cleanable, I did mine the other day after a similar problem.

Geoff.F

Post by Geoff.F » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:49 pm

Any progress on this.????
In the boot behind the LH side carpet lining there is an Automatic Gearbox ECU AND a ECU Fuse. viz. the heart of the gearbox control.
Check this fuse and then I may be able to find an ECU for you to try.
Geoff F.

Tipper
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: RV8 + ZS180

Post by Tipper » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:48 pm

If you change the ecu then you will need to do the 'Fast Adaption' procedure, ie,:-

Fast Adaption Procedure

When a new gearbox is fitted, the ECM replaced or ECM EEPROM re-initialised by TestBook, the ECM needs to learn the positions of the ratio control motor for given engine speeds. The ECM will target 12 engine speeds between 1400 and 4500 rev/min in order to achieve this fast adaption.

Fast adaption is performed as follows:-

1. With the selector lever in D accelerate to 35mph (55kph) then release the accelerator pedal to decelerate without braking
2. As it slows down. The ECM will learn the ratio control motor adaption points. This will be complete before the car stops moving
3. If the gearbox reaches the lowest ratio before the adaption is complete, the engine speed will drop from the target speed to idle
4. To complete the procedure, accelerate up to a speed of more than 25mph (40kph) and release the accelerator pedal again. Allow the vehicle to decelerate without braking to enable the ECM software to learn the remaining adaption points
5. Fast adaption is complete when the ‘F’ in the instrument pack LCD stops flashjing and only the mode (e.g. D) is displayed

The ECM software continuously adapts to account for gearbox wear and fast adaption errors. The driver will not be aware that any adaption is taking place and driving will be maintained.

:thumbsu: