Swirling water noise?

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Foxy
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire

Swirling water noise?

Post by Foxy » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:43 pm

Next problem....

I am led to believe that my head gasket has failed and that is why I am losing coolant. Carbon monoxide has been found in the coolant system after a 'sniffer' test was performed. All that aside and with the car still running ok with the expansion tank constantly being topped up, I can now hear when I come to a halt that water is sloshing around somewhere to my left hand side, sounds like at least a couple of litres. Where would this be situated and how would it have gotten there?
I did notice that I have leaking water from under the left side of the car but presumed this was coolant being pressurised from the pipes due to the leaking head gasket?

My own head is spinning at the minute.
Attachments
IMG_20121118_192203.jpg

Tipper
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: RV8 + ZS180

Re: Swirling water noise?

Post by Tipper » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:21 pm

It's water inside the side sill below the door. Have you been paddling in all this heavy rain?

You need to clear the drain holes of mud and stuff to let the water out.

Dingbat
Model of Car: MGTF 160 Sprint

Post by Dingbat » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:28 pm

Whilst you're down there, it's also worth clearing the drain holes in the bottom of the doors.

HTH

Brian
Brian Dingsdale
TF 160 Sprint, VHS Dampers, glass rear window, B&G low coolant alarm, Mud flaps, rear light protectors, Powdercoated and polybushed subframes (Royal Blue). Stainless coolant pipes. Braided brake hoses. Greasable clutch release arm.

Foxy

Post by Foxy » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:53 pm

And that's all it is?

Wow thanks guys, I much prefer these cost free repairs especially while saving up for my HG repair.

BTW, it's dark outside right now, where exactly are these drain holes in both the sills and doors, are they just holes or do they have 'plugs' in them?

Charless
    MGF Register Region: South Coast
    Model of Car: 96 Mpi, 99 VVC

Post by Charless » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:17 pm

That was where the 'water leaks' in your photograph were coming from! You need to poke a terminal driver vertically upwards in the centre of the jacking points front and back. A deluge of foul water all over your hand will tell you when you have cleared it!
    I am still not convinced you have a HGF. If that was a full blown combustion to water HGF you would be overpressuring the expansion bottle and blowing like Moby Dick. I wonder if it might be a slight exhaust or inlet manifold to water seepage. This could be managed for a while until Russell can check it out.

Dingbat
    Model of Car: MGTF 160 Sprint

Post by Dingbat » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:24 pm

You'll need to get down on the ground and look upwards. They are just drain holes and are quite obvious once your down there and looking up. There are no plugs, just poke a small screwdriver into all the holes you can see in the bottom of the sill and the bottom of the doors. As Charles says, when you get your hands covered in dirty smelly water, you've done the job!

HTH

Brian
    Brian Dingsdale
    TF 160 Sprint, VHS Dampers, glass rear window, B&G low coolant alarm, Mud flaps, rear light protectors, Powdercoated and polybushed subframes (Royal Blue). Stainless coolant pipes. Braided brake hoses. Greasable clutch release arm.

Foxy

Post by Foxy » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:48 pm

Thanks guys, judging by the sound of the Kahunas in there I'm gonna need my Speedo's on... :D
      I am still not convinced you have a HGF. If that was a full blown combustion to water HGF you would be overpressuring the expansion bottle and blowing like Moby Dick. I wonder if it might be a slight exhaust or inlet manifold to water seepage. This could be managed for a while until Russell can check it out.
      All I know is, I have to top the expansion tank up approx half cup of fluid every other day of just going the 5 miles to work and back. The sniffer test showed carbon monoxide in the coolant tank so can only carry on with the HG repair. Of course when Russell comes I will tell him exactly what the symptoms are and listen to what he has to say.

Vinyljunkie
      MGF Register Region: Midlands
      Model of Car: 98mk1 & 01 mk2

Post by Vinyljunkie » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:52 pm

If you've had all that water swirling about in the cills for a while, it may be prudent to spray something oily in there after you've emptied them just for a bit of protection.
      too old to die young.....

'72 MG midget RWA,
      '98 mk1 MGF VVC,
      '01 MY MGF VVC,
      '01 Saab 95 SE est,
      '96 4.0l Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD
      '81 Honda custom bike
      I really need to stop buying things with Engines...maybe there's a support group?
      :-)

Foxy

Post by Foxy » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:28 am

Vinyljunkie wrote:If you've had all that water swirling about in the cills for a while, it may be prudent to spray something oily in there after you've emptied them just for a bit of protection.

Yeah I was thinking about that but I could hardly get a small screwdriver up the hole, let alone getting anything to spray in there! I did manage to drain the water but was amazed to see there wasn't that much that came out. I haven't been out in the car since draining so not sure if there's any still trapped in.

Foxy

Post by Foxy » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:48 am

Hi all,
      Just returning to this old post of mine because I still have to regularly drain the near-side sill after heavy rain. I use a plastic cable-tie to do this which now permanently resides in my glove box. How does the rain water get into the sill and how can I stop it from doing so?

Thanks.

Rob Bell
      Committee Member
      MGF Register Region: South East
      Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:10 am

Probably not rain water, but atmospheric condensation I suspect.

Has the existing drainage holes become damaged? Perhaps they need some slight enlargement to ensure that they drain as they should.

Also it would be worth while considering getting them filled with waxoil to prevent them rusting from the inside out - that's an expensive repair as I've discovered :(

Foxy

Post by Foxy » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:36 am

Definitely rain water Rob as it only happens after such occasion, I guess around a pint or so of water can run out once the drain hole is unblocked. I can understand the drain hole becoming blocked quite easily due to road dirt being thrown up etc, (yes I do have mud-flaps fitted)! There must be some way the rain is getting in there and something I can do to stop it happening?

Rob Bell
      Committee Member
      MGF Register Region: South East
      Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:20 pm

Not sure how it is getting in then? You probably need to look very closely at the sill and its closing panels front and rear. I doubt it is getting in under the kick trim, but never say never...

Foxy

Post by Foxy » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:06 pm

OK will do Rob. Just need some dry weather and time now. :(

Dartington

Post by Dartington » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:55 pm

Just taken front wheel arch liners off and cleared the silt behind. See that there is a open slot just above the rubber bung. No rust there but it must let water into the cill area. Should it be filled?
      Second question one of the rear drain holes in the cill is so closed up that I cannot even hammer a very small screwdriver through. Propose drilling it out, any drawbacks to this rather serious action? Will Dinitol the hole afterwards.