Rolling Road and Z&F MEMS3 re-tune Day?

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
willyphixitt
MGF Register Region: Elsewhere
Model of Car: 2006(reg) TF135

Re: Rolling Road and Z&F MEMS3 re-tune Day?

Post by willyphixitt » Wed May 29, 2013 5:29 pm

Hi Keith, Rob,

I will now only be having my TF remapped. I was also bringing another unit for remapping but the guy has just pulled out as he needs the cash for other work on the his TF.

Frustrating to be told this at the last minute.

Bill

Keith Williams
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MGF VVC, Trophy 160

Post by Keith Williams » Wed May 29, 2013 5:34 pm

willyphixitt wrote:Hi Keith, Rob,

I will now only be having my TF remapped. I was also bringing another unit for remapping but the guy has just pulled out as he needs the cash for other work on the his TF.

Frustrating to be told this at the last minute.

Bill
Thanks for the update. Corrected my post.
1998 MGF VVC, 2001 Trophy 160 & 2013 MG6 GT TSE

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Wed May 29, 2013 6:40 pm

Keith's already answered the question Ian, but essentially no need to contact him before hand, just let Mark know on the day Ian - and pay him directly. We didn't want to collect the money and incur middle-man charges. :)

Bill, yes, a little frustrating! Ultimately hopefully not a problem :)

Ian007
MGF Register Region: East Anglia
Model of Car: 2000 MGF VVC

Post by Ian007 » Thu May 30, 2013 9:14 am

Thanks for the clarification - see you all saturday

Ian
2000 MGF VVC pearlescent BRG, 52mm throttle body, Scorpion exhaust, induction kit and hours of fun

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Fri May 31, 2013 5:17 pm

For all those heading over to Novatech tomorrow (and we still have a round 3 spare places - so if anyone wants to join us, please do feel free), Bernie has given me a heads-up regarding the traffic conditions:
Bernie wrote:Hi Rob

I just want to let your people know that we have had a traffic problem with a lot of visitors going to Legoland in Windsor, this has affected Junc. 6 M4 and Windsor area itself as it is half term it may be a bit busy tomorrow ?.
I have mislaid your tel no .

Kind regards

Bernie Bowden
Novatech
See you all tomorrow! :D

Bigfootmgf
Model of Car: MGF 1.8

Post by Bigfootmgf » Fri May 31, 2013 7:52 pm

See You all tomorrow I hope to be there as soon as I can but likely to be around 12ish.

Paul
Paul

Mod's cost money that you don't have or you could have if you did not have mods!

Bigfootmgf youtube Channel
SE MGF Facebook page

andywatson
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGF 1.9 Scholar

Rolling Road and Z&F MEMS3 re-tune Day?

Post by andywatson » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:05 pm

Excellent day thanks to Rob for organising. Will post done pics tomorrow.

Martin C
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: Mk. 1 1999 VVC

Post by Martin C » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:40 pm

Hi Guys,
Really enjoyed today, great to meet friends both old and new and interesting time. Well done to Rob and Andy for pulling this together, also I thought Bernie and Andy where a top pair of guys.
'til next time take care all.
Cheers,
Martin
MGs-on-Track - Committee member
1972 Zircon Blue Rover P6 3500S 131bhp
1999 Morrelo - MG F VVC 150+bhp
2003 Nightfire Red - MG ZS 120+ 118bhp
As Wolfie should have said = "X-Power to the people!"

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:07 am

Had a brilliant time, thanks to everyone :-)

Bernie was a top chap wasn't be? I still need to get Project Shed on the rollers for a baseline before starting any serious tuning, so if anyone wants to have another event do let me know! :)

Mark was as impressed as the rest of us by the improved head line figures he was getting from his remaps - I'm sure everyone went home happy? ;)

Andy, how was your car on the way home? You got the biggest gain of the day I think! :D

stuart
MGF Register Region: Hertfordshire
Model of Car: TF160

Post by stuart » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:12 pm

Hi All,

Really good to meet you all yesterday- I had a great time and Bernie's hospitality was first class- well impressed with the whole day and there were some brilliant cars there too!!

I've gotta say I drove home all the way with a massive grin on my face- the difference that the remap made in terms of throttle response and just general drivability was amazing :D The car even sounds more sporty and the fuel gauge didn't even move (hope it aint broken!)- I reckon probably the best mod along with the bilstein shocks for sheer driving pleasure.

Again, really good to meet you all and I'll be dropping Mark a line over the coming weeks too- initial impressions though are that you've gotta be nuts not to remap if your ecu allows.

Hopefully see ya soon!
Stuart

'02 TF 160 - an Original MG Rover Group Press Car...and still lookin' sharp!

Bilstein Shocks, Z&F Remap, B&G Coolant Alarm, Glass Rear Screen, Braided Hoses, Bling-free at the moment...but that'll probably change

Bigfootmgf
Model of Car: MGF 1.8

Post by Bigfootmgf » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:10 pm

Really enjoyed the afternoon of talking and fun of seeing what our cars have in the way of BHP :thumbsu:
Paul

Mod's cost money that you don't have or you could have if you did not have mods!

Bigfootmgf youtube Channel
SE MGF Facebook page

andywatson
Model of Car: MGF 1.9 Scholar

Post by andywatson » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:16 pm

Gotta agree with you Stuart, the car drives the best it has since I got it. The remap brings all the mods together in to a complete package, It's like driving a different car.

Heres a few pics from yesterday.
DSC_0550.JPG
DSC_0558.JPG
DSC_0612.JPG
DSC_0609.JPG
DSC_0568.JPG
DSC_0583.JPG

Kameleon

Post by Kameleon » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:54 pm

Any before and after figures from anyone? Andy how much did you gain on the day?

adrianclifford
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:59 pm

I was with Bill all day Sunday on a run through the New Forest, he appeared happy with his car and he didn't complain too much about following us :lol:
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

Martin C

Post by Martin C » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:29 pm

adrianclifford wrote:I was with Bill all day Sunday on a run through the New Forest
Sorry to be off topic guys.

Adrian, I assume you were doing the New Forest Run? If so it was a lovely day for it, I usually do the PA announcements at the end of the run, but yesterday was the 1st one I've missed for 9 years. I was at the Ageas Bowl watching England lose the 1-day series against New Zealand :( Although entertaining batting masterclass from their Martin Guptal.

Anyway Southampton & New Forest have a meeting tomorrow night and I'd be interested if you have any comments or feedback on the day.
Cheers,
Martin

willyphixitt
MGF Register Region: Elsewhere
Model of Car: 2006(reg) TF135

Post by willyphixitt » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:14 pm

Hi folks,

I concur with comments made above. Many thanks to Rob and Andy (W) for arranging the day. Bernie and Andy for the RR sessions and their hospitality. Thanks also to Mark Stacey for remapping my TF135.

I was one who had two RR sessions - before and after the remapping. The initial readings were 128.3bhp at the flywheel with a max torque of 116 lbs/ft. After the remap, these figures were 132.8bhp and 123 lbs/ft. At the roadwheels, these figures were 104 bhp and 94 lbs/ft before the remap and 108.2 bhp and 100 lbs/ft afterwards.

The engine is standard other than a MGOC S/S standard backbox (PO) and a K & N Apollo induction kit which I fitted. Although the figures show a modest improvement on paper, the driving experience feels much more, being able to pull away at a much lower rpm without labouring the engine. In 3rd I feel I can be almost stopped yet will pull away cleanly. Nice when you're unable to give the engine some "welly" because of road or traffic situations.

I must thank Adrian and Dawn together with fellow MGers from the Anglia centre - Steve/Pam, Michael/Marion - for letting this old codger and his wife Jacqueline to join the group in the NFR on Sunday. We had a fantastic weekend all round. Many, many thanks to everyone. It was also great to put faces to names.

BTW, seeing how nice the TF looks in white, it would have looked fantastic to have all 4 of us in the one colour in convoy.

We've both been grinning ear to ear all weekend.

Bill and Jacqueline

willyphixitt

adrianclifford
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:09 pm

Sorry Martin, just picked up your post regarding feedback. A great day, no complaints from me or anybody from the Anglia Centre. Please pass on my congratulations if it's not too late.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

Martin C

Post by Martin C » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:16 pm

adrianclifford wrote:Sorry Martin, just picked up your post regarding feedback. A great day, no complaints from me or anybody from the Anglia Centre. Please pass on my congratulations if it's not too late.
Hi Adrian,
Thanks for the feedback and I will pass your comments back to the crew TOMORROW :oops: Yep! I got my knickers in a twist and my days confused, another senior moment :lol:
Cheers,
Martin

Ian007
MGF Register Region: East Anglia
Model of Car: 2000 MGF VVC

Post by Ian007 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:28 pm

Hi All

It was nice to meet you all on Saturday and thanks to Bernie and Andy from Novatech for looking after us and for Rob and Andy for their organisation.
My remap has really made a difference (although only showing a 2.5 bhp increase) the actual performance on the road is totally different. :D Even my wife who drives the car infrequently noticed the improved response and pick up. So thanks to Mark from ZandF.

See you all again soon.

Ian
2000 MGF VVC pearlescent BRG, 52mm throttle body, Scorpion exhaust, induction kit and hours of fun

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:54 pm

I need to post some pictures too... may be if I get time later today...?

Chaps, could I ask everyone to drop me a copy of their power curves (especially those with before and after) - I'll put all the data on the website and for the FTF/ SF! articles :D :thumbsu: