lowering and individualising mgf suspension? help needed!!

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
metro_matt
MGF Register Region: Elsewhere
Model of Car: 2000 mgf vvc

Post by metro_matt » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:21 pm

Is there a kit or anything you can buy to do this? Any help or info would be appreciated. thanks

Reckless Rat
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Re: lowering and individualising mgf suspension? help needed

Post by Reckless Rat » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:49 pm

The standard setting for the MGF suspension, measured from the centre of the front wheel to the top of the wheel arch should be 368mm give or take a little for temperature fluctuations. There is a facility available where suspension lowering pins can be fitted to all four corners which will reduce the ride height to around 350mm. Lowering pins can be purchased from Mike Satur.

It is NOT recommended to reduce ride height by releasing pressure from the hydragas system as it has an adverse affect on the car's handling.

metro_matt
MGF Register Region: Elsewhere
Model of Car: 2000 mgf vvc

Post by metro_matt » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:53 pm

Yes i have a metro so know all about people letting fluid out. i wish to lower it properly hence this thread! Ill check mike satur out thanks for the advice

andywatson
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGF 1.9 Scholar

Post by andywatson » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:47 pm

Mike Williams Racing sells individualising kits, £49.99

http://www.mgw-racing.com/catalog/index ... c-23_24_25

You will also need an additional 2 shrader valves at £14.99 each.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:06 pm

Matt, the easiest way to lower the suspension is to cut down the alloy piston that enters the base of the hydragas unit - http://mgf.ultimatemg.com/group2/DIY/su ... /index.htm

I am not convinced by lowering knuckles that don't seem to have the same resistance to corrosion as the originals do.

Individualising can be done in one of two ways, although for a road car, I am not sure I would bother, as the individualised units offer the same roll resistance as interconnected units, but with the disadvantage of loosing bump compliance. The standard suspension has decent anti-dive geometry too...

But for a track car, individualising offers an easy way of adjusting the corner weights.
The two approaches are:
1. To place a hydraulic tap in line so you can individualise or re-link the suspension at your leisure.
2. To run hydraulic lines with schrader valves.

Tech-speed in Eathorpe near Leamington Spa do this conversion, but I hadn't seen Mike Williams Racing before. With some ingenuity it may be possible to engineer your own individualisation kit using standard parts: the hydraulic lines are in two parts - the shorter front section has a schrader valve built in, so all you need do is terminate the interconnection, and you could get a couple more front connectors and use these for the rear for a similar solution.

Hope this helps

Rich in Vancouver
MGF Register Region: Canada

Post by Rich in Vancouver » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:40 am

I installed a set of the Satur lowering pins and am happy with them.
Just a couple of points to keep in mind;
You will need access to a hydrolastic pump to pump the suspension back up afterward.
Don't be surprised if one or all of your suspension knuckles break getting them out of the arms. (and the replacements are only available with standard pins installed-expensive and annoying!) They are made of nylon but rust from the arms tends to lock them into place and it is easy to break bits off getting them out. :x

Apparently if you have a hydro pump with a vacuum function you can suck the cones up into the displacers allowing you to change the pins without
removing the displacers. (never seen this done myself!)

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:23 pm

Rich in Vancouver wrote: Don't be surprised if one or all of your suspension knuckles break getting them out of the arms. (and the replacements are only available with standard pins installed-expensive and annoying!) They are made of nylon but rust from the arms tends to lock them into place and it is easy to break bits off getting them out. :x
I've had the same experience getting the old pins out. Thing is, I thought it may be a technique thing, as you want to lever it out, but this places a lot of stress on the nylon cap because it is being forced out at an angle. You want to try and get them out straight - which may be more successful in preserving them?