Shock absorbers

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
hawkstringer
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: Mk1 mgf 1.8mpi

Shock absorbers

Post by hawkstringer » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:01 pm

Keep noticing many on this forum have uprgraded to bilstein shocks?

I have a 98 mgf what would be the best upgrade and why?

It's just I heard that koni do some real good n's

Thanks

diesel destroyer
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley
Model of Car: MGF GT

Re: Shock absorbers

Post by diesel destroyer » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:07 am

Depends on how you drive the car..

Only thing I'd say is if you want to fit adjustables and run them on a hard setting I'd seam weld the body mounts as they can and do fracture

I've welded in cross braces linking the two upper mounts as they did on the cup cars

Also fit brand new bolts on the lower mounts

Koni do some that have adjustment on the top which is nice...

Allan

Reckless Rat
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Post by Reckless Rat » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:50 am

I'm sure I read it on here from someone with more techy know how than myself that the standard shocks are fine for the MGF as most of the damping is actually done by the hydragas spheres and the passage of fluid through the valves - the external dampers are supplementary. On the TF however, it's a completely different story. The standard set-up was done on the cheap and resulted in appalling ride quality - the bilstein option for many seems to cure this and improve the car.

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:57 am

Yes Bruce, that's correct. It's not just the perceived damping effect that people associate with shock absorbers but the whole handling of the car is transformed, you can bury it into a corner and it glides round like it's on rails with no uncertainty.

You may ask if it's worth the high cost, mine came in at £680 including fitting and four wheel alignment but after thousands of enthusiastic miles the smile is always there. You have to balance the cornering values on tyre grip and the limits of adhesion.

Don't forget you have three settings, high, middle and low, I've kept mine on middle to keep it looking standard but you cannot easily adjust them as it involves removing them unfortunately :(
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

diesel destroyer
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley
Model of Car: MGF GT

Post by diesel destroyer » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:14 am

adrianclifford wrote: you can bury it into a corner and it glides round like it's on rails with no uncertainty.

You can go further.. to improve the handling/ cornering..

Myself and Andy Waston are currently in the process of doing some pretty extensive mods to take it to the 'next level'

:thumbsu:

hawkstringer
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: Mk1 mgf 1.8mpi

Post by hawkstringer » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:01 pm

adrianclifford wrote:Yes Bruce, that's correct. It's not just the perceived damping effect that people associate with shock absorbers but the whole handling of the car is transformed, you can bury it into a corner and it glides round like it's on rails with no uncertainty.

You may ask if it's worth the high cost, mine came in at £680 including fitting and four wheel alignment but after thousands of enthusiastic miles the smile is always there. You have to balance the cornering values on tyre grip and the limits of adhesion.

Don't forget you have three settings, high, middle and low, I've kept mine on middle to keep it looking standard but you cannot easily adjust them as it involves removing them unfortunately :(
Do you have tf or f?

Just to confirm, if I went with the b6's would it change driving comfort with normal driving ie not thrashing it into bends?

:sf:

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:05 pm

Of course, you notice the difference immediately, I quote the extreme but normal sedate driving is perfect.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.