any guide on replace soft top without frame?

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
rndguy
MGF Register Region: Europe

any guide on replace soft top without frame?

Post by rndguy » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:47 pm

Hi

I recently bought a soft top without frame as my old one got slashed by someone this year :rant:

Its apparent that it was a hasty buy without enough research as i see everywhere ive searched that replacing the soft top is much much easier with the frame already installed on it rather than just the fabric. Is there a guide out there on how to replace the fabric only? I do not dare to do this myself but i do have a few mechanical savvy friends that probably can if they have some instructions, but i can only seem to find guides on how to replace with frame.

cath's mg
MGF Register Region: Hertfordshire
Model of Car: MGF

Re: any guide on replace soft top without frame?

Post by cath's mg » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:27 pm

Hi, I know
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=4206
has done this, if he doesn't reply to your post it might be worth contacting him.
Good Luck

Gary :thumbsu:
Cath's car but Gary's plaything :-)

stuart
Model of Car: TF160

Post by stuart » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:50 pm

cath's mg wrote:Hi, I know
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=4206
has done this, if he doesn't reply to your post it might be worth contacting him.
Good Luck

Yep, that's me. When I get home I'll post the "how to" guide that I followed. Clear a whole day- it's one of those jobs that just can't be rushed. I would advise taking the time to clean the frame, repaint where needed and oil all the moving parts etc whilst you can.

Will post the link later when I get back to my home laptop
Stuart

'02 TF 160 - an Original MG Rover Group Press Car...and still lookin' sharp!

Bilstein Shocks, Z&F Remap, B&G Coolant Alarm, Glass Rear Screen, Braided Hoses, Bling-free at the moment...but that'll probably change

radiomarty
MGF Register Region: South Midlands
Model of Car: 1996 1.8vvc

Post by radiomarty » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:59 pm

Hi I am also going to attempted this, hence my post on 'soft top frame' so any help would be most gratefully received - I did find this :
http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=293588

Marty

stuart

Post by stuart » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:46 pm

Right gents, this was the guide I followed:

http://www.the-t-bar.com/en/forum/22-cj ... to-replace

Good luck!
Stuart

Bilstein Shocks, Z&F Remap, B&G Coolant Alarm, Glass Rear Screen, Braided Hoses, Bling-free at the moment...but that'll probably change

rndguy
MGF Register Region: Europe

Post by rndguy » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:36 pm

thanks! this looks way above my level of expertise :oops: hope i can bribe some friends to do this :D

stuart

Post by stuart » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:48 pm

You'll be fine- just take your time! It's a hugely satisfying job- I'd never done a roof re-skin before and in hindsight I can see why the manufacturers' charge £200 to fit it for you.

I'd do it again though (and probably in half the time!)

Let me know how you get on and good luck!
Stuart

radiomarty

Post by radiomarty » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:47 pm

Many thanks for the guide Stuart - had a couple of spare hours today so have managed to get the old cover off (Not too bad a job )- Hope to get the new one on in the next couple of days :D
Last edited by radiomarty on Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stuart

Post by stuart » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:40 pm

Good work!

Something that I found when refitting that wasn't in the how to guide is when you re-skin the roof to start from the centre and work outwards when you rivet the rear bar at the base of the back window- I found then that the holes lined up really easily. Also, use chalk to mark where the centre of the front rail is when you glue it down and work from the centre outwards. Whilst you've got the chance really polish all the rubber seals too and get them back to tip top condition. On one of my side window seals the rubber was flattened over time, so putting some hosepipe inside it reformed it really well.

Make sure scalpel blade is razor sharp for refitting too.
Stuart

stuart

Post by stuart » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:42 pm

Good work!

Something that I found when refitting that wasn't in the how to guide is when you re-skin the roof to start from the centre and work outwards when you rivet the rear bar at the base of the back window- I found then that the holes lined up really easily. Also, use chalk to mark where the centre of the front rail is when you glue it down and work from the centre outwards. Whilst you've got the chance really polish all the rubber seals too and get them back to tip top condition. On one of my side window seals the rubber was flattened over time, so putting some hosepipe inside it reformed it really well.

Make sure scalpel blade is razor sharp for refitting too.
Stuart

radiomarty

Post by radiomarty » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:17 pm

Job now done on my wife's car - pleased with the result.Just need to paint the rivets black. The replacement was I believe for a Chinese model with no zip for the rear window. One quick question - the rear roof rail is movable on my frame (Mark 2 frame (one seam)as fitted from July 1997 but as the rear glass is not fixed to the frame, as on zipped version. it needs a helping hand to its correct position - does the later frame have a fixed rail at the rear and is there a simple mod I can do ?

stuart

Post by stuart » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:05 am

Not quite sure what you mean by the frame etc....but really good job pal- looks great! :thumbsu:
Stuart

cath's mg
Model of Car: MGF

Post by cath's mg » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:46 am

radiomarty wrote: One quick question - the rear roof rail is movable on my frame (Mark 2 frame (one seam)as fitted from July 1997 but as the rear glass is not fixed to the frame, as on zipped version. it needs a helping hand to its correct position - does the later frame have a fixed rail at the rear and is there a simple mod I can do ?
Do you mean you have to move the rail to put the hood down?
If so something like the attached is a quick cheap fix :)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-PACKAGED- ... 3cd3170871

Hood looks good, nice job :D

Cath's car but Gary's plaything :-)

radiomarty

Post by radiomarty » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:03 pm

Thanks chaps - the 'bar' in question is normally fixed to the headlining holding the rear window upper zip section - as mine is a non removable window there is nothing on the headlining to fix it to so I have to push it into position - photo of rear bar after I have pushed to the correct position :