passenger wing mirror - electric

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
kernowrob
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall

passenger wing mirror - electric

Post by kernowrob » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:20 am

really confused.. like an idiot when putting the mg into the garage, smashed the passenger wing mirror, managed to order a new on off ebay, sprayed it all up, fitted it and now i cant see anything other than the floor from it, there doesnt seem to be enough adjustment, are the drivers and passenger wing mirrors the same, asked where i bought it from and they claim it is, if anyone has any ideas that would be fantastic, dont really want to get another one, now this one is sprayed up - car is an mgf with electric mirrors :-)

thanks in advance :-)

mgfsoldier
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i

Re: passenger wing mirror - electric

Post by mgfsoldier » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:35 am

Should be identical try moving the complete mirror around instead of just the glass it might help if not have the screws got any adjustment in the mounting points.

cath's mg
MGF Register Region: Hertfordshire
Model of Car: MGF

Post by cath's mg » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:45 pm

I have had the wing mirrors of on Cath's MG and I am sure they were marked LH & RH, but the are not electric :?

Gary :thumbsu:
Cath's car but Gary's plaything :-)

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:44 pm

I beleive they are handed, I converted mine from manual to electric by gutting some electric mirrors and fitted the gubbins to my original shells. When I refitted them they seemed to lack upward adjustment but I've managed ok for the last 2 years so they can't be too bad.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Keith Williams
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MGF VVC, Trophy 160

Post by Keith Williams » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:02 pm

According to the EPC on Dieters site http://www.mgfcar.de/epc/4089.htm there seems to be no difference in mirrors on either side of the car. There is a LHD version though or an Australia RHD version.
1998 MGF VVC, 2001 Trophy 160 & 2013 MG6 GT TSE

kernowrob

Post by kernowrob » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:21 am

thanks everyone, will have to have another look as there doesnt seem to be any adjustments via the mounting screws, ill have another look and get back to you :-)

Rich in Vancouver
MGF Register Region: Canada

Post by Rich in Vancouver » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:37 am

I believe the electric mirrors are handed. I had the same problem when I installed mine.
If in doubt check Rimmers' parts page.

kernowrob

Post by kernowrob » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:54 pm

all sorted, just made the holes a bit bigger in the door mounting, they didnt have to be turned much, so now i can see out of the passenger mirror :-) thanks for all the help :-)

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:53 pm

I like that solution, might try it myself.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Dieter K
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: '99 MGF 1.8i

Post by Dieter K » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:45 pm

Keith Williams wrote:According to the EPC on Dieters site http://www.mgfcar.de/epc/4089.htm there seems to be no difference in mirrors on either side of the car. There is a LHD version though or an Australia RHD version.
I'm sorry that site for the RHD mirrors is not finished yet. Please see the LHD one http://www.mgfcar.de/epc/4169.htm
The none electric mirrors are identical, but the electric motor mirrors are different right to left hand.

The difference is the assembly angle of the mounting plate. Did never try it myself, but it's said that the ring can get converted easy to either co-driver or driver side version by turning that ring 180°.
MGF 1.8i, PTS. HEF-MG96