Seriously dangerous handling, advice please.

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Tarragon
MGF Register Region: South Wales

Seriously dangerous handling, advice please.

Post by Tarragon » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:56 pm

Hi there,

My front end handling is awful. The car sways from side to side and this sets up a kind of rolling wave effect at speed.

It is undriveable above 50-60 mph, constantly fighting the steering wheel. It just wants to waver from side to side as though driving on ice.

Once I approach 70 mph it feels as theough the front end is about to lose it and I have to slow down for fear of crashing (seriously)

Even the guy from the garage said it was the scariest car he'd ever driven and he had a few MGF's himself.

The shocks have the correct ride height, All steering components are fine.

I have recently had 4 wheel laser tracking done and the rear was slightly out but adjusted was ok.

Put new Toyos on the rear but still have a pair of budget brand on the front and suspect they do not help. I am ordering front Toyos on monday to be fitted Tuesday.

I feel the car is so seriously unstable I cannot believe it is just tyres though.

Is there anything else I could get checked while it's on the ramps ( I don't have any garage facilites myself to have to rely on the local mechanic).

I will also get the tracking done again.

Are there any degree/camber settings recommended for the F? The garage just zeroed them all but I have read about toeing in on the rear.

Anyone got advice.

Thanks

Canalsman
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: 2004 TF 160 LMG

Re: Seriously dangerous handling, advice please.

Post by Canalsman » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:05 pm

Absolutely it's the tyres!

I have experienced exactly this behaviour on my TF - when I bought it, the car had Goodyear GSD2 tyres on the front, and GSD3 tyres on the back.

The car was undriveable over 50ish mph.

I wouldn't do anything else other than get the front tyres changed immediately.

mgfneal
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: 1996 mgf 1.8 mpi

Post by mgfneal » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:56 pm

-my f was like this last year it was the rear control arms I replaced them and got the wheel alignment set and now its sweet as a nut . mine used to be OK ish at low speed above 50 mph it would weave all over the place and on motorways it would go in to fish tale motion and be very un stable and very nerving it was 100x worse after i put my new toyos on the back .like everyone has said tires make a lot of difference and faulty suspension components make even more of a difference .
Last edited by mgfneal on Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

colintf
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MG PA TF160 ZTV8

Post by colintf » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:07 pm

get rid of those budget tyres on the front and check all the suspension component asap 8-)

Colin Murrell
MGF Register International Liaison Rep
MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions
MGCC Z and V8 Registers Reps for V8 ZT'/ZTTs

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm http://www.triple-mracing.com/

Mike H
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds
Model of Car: 2010 MGTF135

Post by Mike H » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:32 pm

What everyone else has said above ^^^

It's a combination of the fact that the tyres are mixed between the axles and the fact it's a budget brand on the front.

You won't believe what a difference having the 'correct' (and by correct I mean approved) tyres makes to an F/TF. (See the MG UK Bulletin Here )

Don't forget to allow the tyres some miles to bed in and then let us know the results in the week. You'll be amazed!!!
Audi TTS owner
Former MGTF 135 owner
Former TF 160 Sprint owner
Former ZS180 owner
Former MGF owner

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:55 am

My F came with Pirelli P6000 all round, normally a good tyre but not recommended for the F, car was horrible at speed, fitted Toyo T1R instead and it was a vast improvement, I then added a trophy front spoiler and my bottle ran out on the German autobahn before the car did.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:50 am

Tyres are a strong suspect - probably the suspect if the handling problems have arisen since the fitment of the new rear tyres. Yes, MGFs are really that sensitive to tyres.

Other problems could be tyre pressure, loose wheel nuts(!!!), failing wheel bearings, failing suspension ball joints etc

See how the new front tyres fair and do let us know!