turn off imobilser

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
CadmannUK
MGF Register Region: South East

turn off imobilser

Post by CadmannUK » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:01 pm

Hi,

My MGF has been off the road for a while and the battery is pretty dead. I went to bump start it and I couldn't get the imobiler alarm off. It rolled to the bottom of a small slope and I had to go get another car to start it.
How do i tun off the alarm if I have to bump it like that again.

Thanks
CAD

mgfsoldier
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i

Re: turn off imobilser

Post by mgfsoldier » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:13 pm

Use the fob it only needs a tiny amount of battery power so should work unless the battery is completley dead.

Miccon
MGF Register Region: Canada
Model of Car: MGF1.8 Mpi

Post by Miccon » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:07 am

Use the EKA code to disarm the immobiliser
MGTD (51) MGB's 76 -81, MGF1.8i, TR4, TR7.....etc

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:31 am

Miccon wrote:Use the EKA code to disarm the immobiliser
It all depends on how flat the battery is. Jump starting from another battery/car is the better bet IMO. In my experience of cars with EFi, the ECU tends to need a steady voltage to function - and there is little chance of getting that on a push start.

Cad, you either need a new battery, or a battery charger. If you can maintain the battery with a trickle charger, so much the better. :)

CadmannUK

Post by CadmannUK » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:25 pm

Hi All,

It is because I was using my Espace all winter and only just started the MG every now and again. I have now power in the garage and can't do the trickle chargers to keep the battery charged for the alarm and immobiliser.

Miccon, not sure what the EKA code is?

Thanks though.
CAD

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:09 pm

Solar cells are now available - but I am not convinced that they generate enough power in the winter months to maintain a car battery in a good state.

The EKA is the Emergency Key Access code for manually switching off the immobiliser when the key fob fails to work. You should have that code in with your car's manual. Alternatively, you can have it read using diagnostic equipment. Whereabouts in the SE are you?