OBD Socket (and details of MGF technical day - June 15th)

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Charless
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 96 Mpi, 99 VVC

Re: OBD Socket

Post by Charless » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:38 pm

Fair dos - worth asking though!

hilly
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: Aug 96 MGF VVC Mk1

Post by hilly » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:53 pm

I'd consider one, as always it will be price dependant.

HOWEVER................. I have a very good contact for a PCB manufacturer her in the South West, and they would also do the unit build.

I have personal experience as I used to do some consultancy work for them. They also have a very good understanding of the automotive market, but it would not be fair for me to throw out the names of comapnies and projects they are involved in! ;-)

They are particularly good at doing small runs at a reasonable price too, and can also facilitate the whole design and build.

Inbox me if you want more details.
Why do I always get out of my 'F' with a smile on my face ! ;-)

jaydoginvasion
MGF Register Region: East Anglia

Post by jaydoginvasion » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:35 am

I would buy one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:20 pm

I'm interested with the usual price dependant clause as above - if it can do the Seimans 2000 as used on the KV6 engine even better.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

jaydoginvasion
MGF Register Region: East Anglia

Post by jaydoginvasion » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:49 pm

I did see an interesting project using a Raspberry Pi
http://www.obdtester.com/pyobd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pscan.eu

Post by pscan.eu » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:08 pm

talkingcars wrote:I'm interested with the usual price dependant clause as above - if it can do the Seimans 2000 as used on the KV6 engine even better.
It doesn't work on the KV6 because I don't know anyone who has one of these cars. If you want to meet up then I would appreciate giving it a go.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:48 am

We used to have a KV6 2.0 litre Rover 75 - what a lovely little engine! That got sold to buy our current ZT. Unfortunately our neighbours 75 is also a diesel.

Philip, if talkingcars can't help, I think your best bet will be to go through the Rover 75/ZT club and see if anyone is in our area...

talkingcars

Post by talkingcars » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:22 pm

Whereabouts are you Philip?

Or could you do what you need with just the ECU? I am currently breaking one of my ZS's and can spare the ECU for a few weeks.

James
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

pscan.eu

Post by pscan.eu » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:18 pm

I live in Ruislip.

Normally I can get ECUs working on the bench if I can get a wiring diagram that shows the ground, power rails and K line. Access to a complete car is easier though.

talkingcars

Post by talkingcars » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:48 pm

Unfortunatly I'm near Gatwick and the car is SORN and in bits.

I have a list of pin outs somewhere.

Plezier
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF 75th

Post by Plezier » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:31 am

Hmmm depending upon price one of these gadgets would be very useful.

I also have a Rover 75 2.5l KV6 but am not local enough to be of much use. Also have a Rover 600 in 623 from. Te "F's" are both pre 2000 being the 97 MPi and the 99/2000 VVC.

pscan.eu

Post by pscan.eu » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:58 pm

I am still waiting for my prototype mk3 PCB to arrive. It is being thoroughly tested at the moment and I am told I should be able to have it on about the 20th assuming that there are no serious problems, so I really won't have any news for a couple of weeks.

I don't want to make an absolute commitment on the price; however based on the last calculation of component costs I am hoping to sell these somewhere in the £100 to £120 area. This is based on component costs back in June hence my slight vagueness.

I won't be charging any software licensing or recurring charges, at least for the first customers; that will all be included in the up front cost.

The limitation that I do want to look at is limiting the software to one PC at a time so that I don't sell one interface to a big group of people who then just share it about amongst themselves having bought only one. Another way around this might be to make a charge for registering multiple computers so that people can share, or maybe use their own laptop and a work one or something.

I wanted to be clear about these things from the beginning as I would like to deal with people in an ethical and transparent way.

The current list of supported protocols is

EOBD
MEMS1.9
MEMS2J
MEMS3
ABS5.0
ABS5.3
ABS5.7
EDC15M
EDC15C4
Temic V1
AB Autoliv
RC5 EC5

The PC software is working on Windows 98, 2000, XP, 7, 8 (not RT) though 98 and 2000 will need a driver to be installed. I don't have an ME installation to try out. Also it will work on Mac OSX (I only tried Intel so far) and Linux (a working QT installation is needed).

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:41 am

At that price point, I would expect that the majority of us will probably buy our own for our "fleets" of MG Rover vehicles (it seems quite a few of us have more than one! :lol:)

Philip, for the 75/ZT, can you reset service lights etc? It's something that small independent garages don't seem to be able to do (another market for the device perhaps?)

pscan.eu

Post by pscan.eu » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:47 am

Rob Bell wrote:Philip, for the 75/ZT, can you reset service lights etc? It's something that small independent garages don't seem to be able to do (another market for the device perhaps?)
From the information that you gave me it should be possible. I just haven't actually tried it though. If the service light is on on your 75 please leave it on so that I can test it :D

hilly
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: Aug 96 MGF VVC Mk1

Post by hilly » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:09 am

Hi Philip,

At that price point I think I'[de be interested too!

Did you contact the PCB manufacturer I gave you the details of?
Why do I always get out of my 'F' with a smile on my face ! ;-)

Plezier
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF 75th

Post by Plezier » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:46 pm

Interesting indeed and am interested.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:58 pm

pscan.eu wrote:
Rob Bell wrote:Philip, for the 75/ZT, can you reset service lights etc? It's something that small independent garages don't seem to be able to do (another market for the device perhaps?)
From the information that you gave me it should be possible. I just haven't actually tried it though. If the service light is on on your 75 please leave it on so that I can test it :D
No worries - it is currently showing the oil service being several thousand miles overdue! :o

pscan.eu

Post by pscan.eu » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:28 pm

My new interface arrived today and after 5 hrs coding it seems to be working :) :) :)

So far I tested it with a MEMS1.9 and an EDC15M so I think I will save my code and go to bed.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:34 am

Well done Philip! :)

Let me know if you want to pop over and test on the ZT etc.

MiniMpi
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by MiniMpi » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:20 am

This is great info on a possible PC system to read mems2j ecu's!

As you can most prob tell by my username that I have a 97 Rover Mini MPI running the MG/Rover MEMS2J ecu and as all late mini owners know these ecus are always hard to get code readers for limited to either testbook or a ARC4 etc.

Will you keep me posted when you are able to sell & I think you may have a very profitable product on offer here!