OBD Socket (and details of MGF technical day - June 15th)

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Re: OBD Socket

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:00 am

Welcome to the forum! Yes, it will read MEMS1.9, 2J and 3 - and I think Philip mentioned that he'd tested it on an MPi Mini (shouldn't it be running MEMS1.9? 2J was the VVC version?)

pscan.eu

Post by pscan.eu » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:31 pm

A colleague at work has a 99 Mini and I have tested the product with his Mini and it seems to work fine for the MEMS2J.

His Mini also has RC5 EC5 airbag which works intermittently. This is the same protocol as Robs MGF but strangely it is rock solid on the MGF but not so good on the Mini. I'm sure I will get to the bottom of it, I'm just struggling to get access to his Mini to try things out.

Yes some of the Minis have MEMS2J even though they aren't VVC.

I am now just waiting for the prototype plastic box to arrive so that I can take photos/videos of the product and launch it on Kickstarter. It seems that every step of this is taking four times as long as I hoped. The electronics are working very well which is a relief, and I now have a Linux application that works with just X Windows (it doesn't need GTK or QT).

Philip

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Fri May 02, 2014 12:09 am

Philip - can you pmail me your address ref my KV6 ECU.

Ta - James
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

fatbaldingoldgit
Model of Car: MG TF LE500 #493

Post by fatbaldingoldgit » Fri May 02, 2014 12:24 pm

Hi Philip,

Count me in for one of these..especially if it is able to reset my service interval..I have a 2009 LE500 and I believe they differ slightly from the MGR TFs in a much as a T4 won't do it..It has to be a T5..so dealer dependent and a pain.

.../David
"You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons but at the very least you need a beer"
- Frank Zappa

pscan.eu

Post by pscan.eu » Fri May 02, 2014 1:48 pm

fatbaldingoldgit wrote:reset my service interval..I have a 2009 LE500
I have had no access to an LE500 and have done no testing on one. If you live anywhere near me (West London) I would love to give it a go.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Fri May 02, 2014 2:26 pm

I wonder whether we can put together a day (or morning/afternoon) where we get all the vehicle permutations together in one place to see how well Philips's kit copes with all versions of MG Rover's platforms? We could make it a bit of a social event too? :)

pscan.eu

Post by pscan.eu » Fri May 02, 2014 2:28 pm

I would be up for that.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Fri May 02, 2014 3:12 pm

I'll see whether the north London natter group are up for something - and of course, all forum members would be more than welcome to join us if we can get something together?

fatbaldingoldgit
Model of Car: MG TF LE500 #493

Post by fatbaldingoldgit » Fri May 02, 2014 4:00 pm

Yup..I'd be up for that..and Philip..if you need me to come up for a few hours in the meantime I'd be very happy to do that...
"You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons but at the very least you need a beer"
- Frank Zappa

MiniMpi
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by MiniMpi » Fri May 02, 2014 10:14 pm

This is great news! Exciting times be nice to be able to use pc to diagnose issues instead of a handheld

steveinoxford
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley

Post by steveinoxford » Sat May 03, 2014 12:45 pm

Just have one of these on the way for OBD2 code reading and engine monitoring

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Supper-Bluetoot ... omputers_0

to use with this on Android phone

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... owl.torque

Primarily for my mondeo, as the F is probably not compatible (MEMS2) but will try it anyway :)

all good fun :)
Steve
Last edited by steveinoxford on Sat May 03, 2014 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

talkingcars

Post by talkingcars » Sat May 03, 2014 1:29 pm

MEMS2 is not OBD2 compliant.
The system Philip is developing goes way beyond the standard OBD2 data.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

pscan.eu

Post by pscan.eu » Wed May 07, 2014 2:55 pm

pscan.eu wrote:His Mini also has RC5 EC5 airbag which works intermittently. This is the same protocol as Robs MGF but strangely it is rock solid on the MGF but not so good on the Mini. I'm sure I will get to the bottom of it, I'm just struggling to get access to his Mini to try things out.
Today I fixed this. It is now reliable on the Mini airbags as well. I also confirmed that yes the engine ECU is MEMS2.

Philip

MiniMpi
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by MiniMpi » Wed May 07, 2014 5:26 pm

Keep up the great work Philip cant wait to see the finished product

talkingcars

Post by talkingcars » Wed May 07, 2014 11:40 pm

My Seimans 2000 is out of the car and in a box, just need to print the pin outs and post it.

Plezier
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF 75th

Post by Plezier » Thu May 08, 2014 4:18 am

Hmmm I bet there are load of stuff recorded on "Elise's" system not least as I had her running with no seats in then one seat in so the SRS light was up then of course I broke the slip ring :oops: . Would love to get it read and cleared maybe find out if the ECU has been played with or not? She certainly spits and pops on over run especially when driving gently on light throttle but does not do it when driving spiritedly :? .

Miccon
MGF Register Region: Canada
Model of Car: MGF1.8 Mpi

Post by Miccon » Thu May 08, 2014 7:37 am

Looks like an awful lot of good work has been going on across the water. :D
Congrats Philip on your remarkable progress
Please let me know when you have a finished system up, running and on the Market.
One will be heading to Canada, that is for sure, I dare say it won't be the only one either. :sf:
It will be a nice addition to the T300
MGTD (51) MGB's 76 -81, MGF1.8i, TR4, TR7.....etc

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Thu May 08, 2014 10:42 am

It'll compliment your T300, because at the moment the only ECU Philip's system doesn't talk to is the alarm...

Personally I think it would be a good idea for this to be incorporated into the tool - for kit car owners, and those of us rebuilding cars, being able to code in new key fobs, or get an existing immobiliser to talk to the MEMS will be invaluable :)

pscan.eu

Post by pscan.eu » Thu May 08, 2014 10:47 am

Rob Bell wrote:It'll compliment your T300, because at the moment the only ECU Philip's system doesn't talk to is the alarm..
and the power steering...

All on the to do list

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Thu May 08, 2014 10:50 am

Oh yes, I forgot about the EPAS. I have an EPAS ECU you can borrow... :)