OBD Socket (and details of MGF technical day - June 15th)

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
hilly
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: Aug 96 MGF VVC Mk1

OBD Socket (and details of MGF technical day - June 15th)

Post by hilly » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:01 pm

Hi All,

Can anyone advise if there is a good aftermarket scanner / unit to use on the ODB socket to read diagnostic memory and turn warning lights off and clear memory etc???

Dave
Why do I always get out of my 'F' with a smile on my face ! ;-)

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Re: OBD Socket

Post by talkingcars » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:03 pm

If your's is a mk1 it isn't OBD2 compliant, you'd need a T4 and they cost alot.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

hilly

Post by hilly » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:07 pm

Yes, that was my fear knowing it wasn't OBD2........ funny isn't it, I have the same problem from the opposite end with my 07 plate A4 Quattro............... they are very picky on the units too!! lol

Chris Tideswell
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by Chris Tideswell » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:40 am

The T300 is known to work well with pre OBD2 F's (link is just an example) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/T300-key-prog ... 41752dda8e

More info here: http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=454351

hilly

Post by hilly » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:23 am

Thanks Chris,

Looks an option ;-)

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:45 am

Covered the t300 here too: http://mgfregister.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10113

Shows what the unit does and how easy it is to use!
I also know of someone working on a PC based reader that could prove to be a more powerful diagnostic tool... Not sure how far he's got so far - I need to drop him a line :)

hilly

Post by hilly » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:49 am

Cheers Rob,

How's the Shed?...... Every man should have one ;-)

hilly

Post by hilly » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:57 am

Thanks for those links Rob,

Found this on the site.................

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shi ... 10091.html

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:21 am

Looks like a good deal! Just check that it fully supports Rover products, as I have heard that there may be some problems with the latest 2013 version in this regard.

Shed now lives! It's done over 200 miles in the last week or so, been to the rolling road (posted a very creditable 134bhp peak power and a very decently-shaped torque curve) and I hope to be collecting a racing hardtop this coming weekend! It still needs some decent fresh rubber and a couple of items have started to appear on the snagging list (two or three failed bulbs, loss of speed signal to EPAS, but actually EPAS feels pretty surplus to requirements really - so perhaps I'll remove it all together and fit a non-EPAS steering column). Happy days :)

jonaf
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: '96 1.8i

Post by jonaf » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:26 pm

This seller offers free shipping with DHL:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2012-pro ... 54421.html
I am having intermittent starting trouble with my '86 MGF and there is no T4 facilities in my part of Norway. I think it may be a good idea to have my own code reader.
I sent the seller a question about which ECU types this T300 supports. Now I am waiting for the answer about whether it is MEMS 1.9 compliant or not.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:18 pm

Hopefully yes, but the T300 doesn't properly support live data on MEMS1.9 (manages MEMS2J just fine!)

jonaf
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: '96 1.8i

Post by jonaf » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:01 pm

hilly wrote:Thanks for those links Rob,

Found this on the site.................

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shi ... 10091.html
This is the answer I got from ZLS Tech when I asked whether it will work with MEMS 1.9:
Elyza Qu: Hello dear
Thanks for your letter.
I am sorry, the item can not support your car.
Feel free to contact me if you have any requirement.
Have a good day
Dera

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:07 pm

Earlier versions do support Rover vehicles. I wonder how well Dera knows her product?

mgrover.org were doing a promotion with these units about a year ago - might be worth a look to see whether this is still on-going?

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:14 pm

Jon, I've just dropped Philip Christian an email - he's developing an "enthusiast's" PC-based diagnostic system for MEMS1.9 and 2J. I've seen the prototype and it is working well, providing live sensor data information that the T300 simply won't.

Also, Philip has been looking for someone with a MEMS2J VVC so he can continue with his development - so if you're reading this and based in North/ Northwest London/ Herts/ Berks etc - let me know and I'll put you in contact.

hilly

Post by hilly » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:44 pm

Sounds interesting Rob!

I get all ove the UK, and live in Dorset, so Berks is only a skip away!

pscan.eu

Post by pscan.eu » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:03 pm

Rob Bell wrote:Jon, I've just dropped Philip Christian an email.
That would be me!

The software that I have is working quite well on MEMS 1.9 and MEMS 2J.

The MEMS 1.9 code has so far been tested on a Lotus Elise and on Rob's MGF.

The MEMS 2J code has so far been tested on a Lotus Elise VVC and on a Rover 200 BRM.

On both of these ECUs it can read error codes, erase error codes and view live data.

I have also had it talking to a Temic V1 airbag controller on a Rover 45, an L series diesel ECU on a Rover 45, and various Rover 75 ECUs (diesel, airbag, ABS).

Philip

Ian
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds
Model of Car: MGF VVC

Post by Ian » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:59 pm

OBD ! - that caught my eye !. :roll:

I have a W Reg VVC MGF which is MEMS 2 J. I've tried a couple of "OBDII" compliant readers on it, but none will connect. I have been a bit nerdy on this subject and spent hours researching why.............apparently cars marketed in the UK before 2001 didn't have to be OBDII compliant, but many were. Vehicles exported to the USA HAD to be OBDII compliant for emission tests / diagnosis earlier than 2001. Good old Rover slowly made the change in 2000 I think with a mixed bag of OBDII and Rover only MEMS units installed in the MGF's. Us brits got the MEMS left overs rather than the new tech exports. I understand that anything less than MEMS3 won't work on OBDII readers, because the data protocol is different ?, also the "error codes" which we are used to these days are not used other than later MEMS3 vehicles post 2000 MY. I have read that both the earlier MGF's and Landrover ECUs were read by the Rover Testbook System and this outputs very basic system codes which only the Testbook system can decypher (a kind of big insurance policy for Rover at the time). If the engine management light is on a non MEMS 3 vehicle I think you are probably in the hands of a Rover Testbook owner / garage ?. The T300 "key programmer" can read the codes I think, however you will need the Rover "POD" which plugs into it. The unit appears to come with manufacturer specific memory modules, looked pricey when I studied it last. If I'm way off the mark - let me know ! - I'll scrub this post and gently bow out :oops:

pscan.eu

Post by pscan.eu » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:39 pm

Ian wrote:I understand that anything less than MEMS3 won't work on OBDII readers, because the data protocol is different
Correct. MEMS 1.9 and 2J are not OBD complaint, but I have implemented the proprietary algorithms and so I can connect to them.
Ian wrote: I have read that both the earlier MGF's and Landrover ECUs were read by the Rover Testbook System and this outputs very basic system codes which only the Testbook system can decypher (a kind of big insurance policy for Rover at the time).
I can read and decypher the error codes on MEM 1.9 and 2J.
Ian wrote: If the engine management light is on a non MEMS 3 vehicle I think you are probably in the hands of a Rover Testbook owner / garage ?
Not for much longer.

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:49 pm

Sounds interesting Philip - when you've finished will it be avalable to us mere mortals?

James
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

pscan.eu

Post by pscan.eu » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:09 pm

talkingcars wrote:Sounds interesting Philip - when you've finished will it be avalable to us mere mortals?

James
Yes. But I am a few months away from having a marketable product yet.

Philip