Winter Modifications?

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
richandpaula
MGF Register Region: North West

Winter Modifications?

Post by richandpaula » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:53 pm

With the onset of dark nights & bad weather being forecast, winter is most certainly upon us.
For some, this brings more available garage time maybe the chance to lay up their cars on trickle charge in nice warm blankets until spring.

Not so for us unfortunately...Our TF is a daily drive.

With this in mind and being from the frozen north, I'm thinking of adding a front splitter over the next weeks, but not for the added front end stability benefits at high speeds, more of a 'Snow plow' effect.

Just wondering if anyone has done this before?

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Re: Winter Modifications?

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:41 pm

I've not seen a snow plough on an TF before Rich! :LOL:

stuart
MGF Register Region: Hertfordshire
Model of Car: TF160

Post by stuart » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:53 pm

In my opinion, the TF doesn't really need a front splitter as it's miles more sure footed at speeds than the F.

I reckon all you'd be doing is lowering the groud clearance at the front of the car and making the prospect of driving over snow even worse.

Leave it as it is- by the look of your photo/avitar it's already a great looking car!
Stuart

'02 TF 160 - an Original MG Rover Group Press Car...and still lookin' sharp!

Bilstein Shocks, Z&F Remap, B&G Coolant Alarm, Glass Rear Screen, Braided Hoses, Bling-free at the moment...but that'll probably change

colintf
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MG PA TF160 ZTV8

Post by colintf » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:20 pm

I would not bother but would fit winter tyres :thumbsu:

Colin Murrell
MGF Register International Liaison Rep
MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions
MGCC Z and V8 Registers Reps for V8 ZT'/ZTTs

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm http://www.triple-mracing.com/

richandpaula

Post by richandpaula » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:29 pm

Seeing as the TF is rear wheel drive, it could work really well as the pushing force will be behind the whole car. Therefore, I'm thinking I might need to counteract the front end drag if I get the maths wrong on the clearance required for the snow plough front splitter...has anyone ever fitted knobbly back tyres?

And with the bonus of the built up snow adding to the cooling effect of the radiator, HGF would be most certainly a thing of the past.

colintf

Post by colintf » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:42 pm

richandpaula wrote:Seeing as the TF is rear wheel drive, it could work really well as the pushing force will be behind the whole car. Therefore, I'm thinking I might need to counteract the front end drag if I get the maths wrong on the clearance required for the snow plough front splitter...has anyone ever fitted knobbly back tyres?

And with the bonus of the built up snow adding to the cooling effect of the radiator, HGF would be most certainly a thing of the past.
No, proper winter tyres like they do in Germany etc (as well as in uk) :thumbsu:

Colin Murrell

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:49 pm

richandpaula wrote:Seeing as the TF is rear wheel drive, it could work really well as the pushing force will be behind the whole car. Therefore, I'm thinking I might need to counteract the front end drag if I get the maths wrong on the clearance required for the snow plough front splitter...has anyone ever fitted knobbly back tyres?

People have fitted splitters to TF, as although the TF is better than the MGF in terms of front end lift, there is more aerodynamic front end lift than is strictly desirable. Which is why the MIRA-co-developed MG TF200HPD with the bonnet duct :)

BTW a build up of snow won't be cooling - it'll cause over-heating if it blocks the air flow through the radiator... ;)

richandpaula

Post by richandpaula » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:10 pm

I'm replacing air flow with snow flow.

snow is colder than air.

I can see that I may have to add a bonnet duct now though, to let the snow out easier.
Back to the drawing board for a while then...I've got a couple of weeks before the snow comes ;)

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:56 pm

Perhaps you should duct through the near side wing and clear the road for other road users?

Something like this perhaps? :lol:
snow-blower TF.jpg

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:19 pm

Better tyre grip on the back (if not all four), keep the battery well charged (lots of drain this time of year, lights, heater and cold all take their toll maybe you don't travel far enough to fully charge). Maybe grippy tyre socks if you don't go for winter tyres when the snow and ice is prevalent.

Many in Europe change not only their tyres but wheels also, it makes sense. Keep your good "summer" tyres on your alloys and fit four steel space saver wheels, these are narrow 14" so get winter tyres to match, this way you protect your alloys too and you can change them yourself, this saves the cost of having them changed over by a tyre fitter at £10 per wheel, twice per year. However, I'm not sure, I don't think it's been raised before "will these wheels cover AP calipers" should anybody choose this option ?

As Rob says and I agree, the TF has excellent handling leave the front end alone, it will allow more snow to build up, it could then possibly fracture leaving the front bumper damaged and you must leave the front end clear to allow the radiator to breathe. Even untouched I would recommend you regularly look at any snow build up and clear it yourself, don't wait for the snow to thaw, if you're on a long journey.

Don't be complacent, you are low to the ground after all.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

colintf

Post by colintf » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:58 pm

Might be an idea to check with your insurance company ref fitting different sized wheels / tyres. With some it's no problem others it could be a no no.
Could also be easier to find out what sizes MG Rover recommended over in Europe as the insurance company may buy into this but not some other size. I know this has been discussed on here before, probably at the start of last winter.
On my ZS for example, my winter tyres are fitted to steel wheels to save the alloys (like Adrian suggested) the size enabled much cheaper but still good Toyo winter tyres and are a standard size as fitted to the Rover 45 ( the brother of the ZS) so a non standard MG size but one that the insurance company fully bought into and the size that my local MG Dealer suggested and supplied ( the new wheels being a total bargain!)

If in doubt, check first :thumbsu:

Colin Murrell

richandpaula

Post by richandpaula » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:52 pm

Rob, I like your thinking...I will grant you 5% of my earnings from the council should they approve my TF snow Plow for use in emergency situations.

I could incorporate a length of 'Henry Hoover' ducting along underneath the passenger side of the car to route the surplus snow from the front to the side scoop, therefore making it very good news for other cars using the roads i drive down. This could be aided by the radiator fan as this will now be redundant as I will be snow cooled now...

This could work! - watch this space! :thumbsu:

Helsbyman
Model of Car: MGTF V V C

Post by Helsbyman » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:49 pm

Hi Rich I already have my airofoil fitted so { CUPPA SPORT AIROFOIL } will came and recue you from these snow drifs :lol:
The coucil paid my 5p a ml last yr :)
Bilstein dampers, 4-2-1 manifold, Head work by Sabre,stainless steel under floor pipes, MGMAINA moded alternator bracket,silicon hoses, Torque tamer, JAYLAD servo bracket, Pro race 1.2 wheels
PETROL BY SHELL :D

Geoff.F
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by Geoff.F » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:04 pm

14 in Steel wheels were used when 15 in alloys cost an arm and a leg however scrap yards are now full of alloys therefore they come cheaper than steels.
The Design Approval does not permit 4 steels but does include narrower 15in tyres which we have. It should be noted that Snow Chains cannot be fitted to the 16in Tyres. No good in Countries where carrying Chains is Mandatory..
Geoff F.

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:49 am

helsbyman wrote:Hi Rich I already have my airofoil fitted so { CUPPA SPORT AIROFOIL } will came and recue you from these snow drifs :lol:
The coucil paid my 5p a ml last yr :)
A few years ago we were on a winter run in the Midlands, during the road run Sean had his Cupra front trim ripped off by the snow so beware.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

Barred
MGF Register Region: South Midlands
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by Barred » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:54 pm

My primary modification in winter - is switching to bitter over lager when I order a pint. :thumbsu:
Do not invert, contents liable to spill.