How to fit a TRS Tow Strap

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

How to fit a TRS Tow Strap

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:09 pm

I know this is not of universal interest, but I post this in case you were thinking of fitting a tow-eye or tow-strap for your MG if you head track-side frequently. Recovering a car buried in the gravel trap is not easy when the front tow-eyes are underneath the front subframe - so are likely be to buried. Moreover, even if they are accessible, the chances are the towing cable will damage the underside of the bumper.

So I thought it would be a good idea to fit one to Project Shed.

The first question: tow-eye or tow-strap? I decided to use a TRS tow-strap: it is more pedestrian friendly if you leave the thing in place. And it weighs less. Probably. ;)

Next question: where to mount it.

If you have ever undertaken a google search, you find that the commonest way people attach these is using the bumper-bar mounting screw. I am not convinced that this is a good idea: the bolt is likely to be low tensile (6.8) steel, and at risk of failure. Plus it is also probably only M10 in size, and rather puny when you consider the loads that towing are likely to put through it.

On the MGF, using the bumper bar mount for the bumper is even less helpful, because the big bolt behind the indicator lenses is on the "wrong" side of the crash can: attempting to tow using this mounting point would most likely rip the bumper off.

Since we want to recover the car and not the just the front bumper, we need somewhere else, preferably somewhere sturdy.

Interestingly, the front subframe has a 3mm steel protrusion from its front cross member on both sides that I think should be ideal for this purpose.

So I purchased an adjustable TRS tow-strap from Demon-tweaks, a 40mm M12 high-tensile bolt and nut with washers from the bay of fleas and set to work :)

TRS adjustable tow-strap:
trs tow strap.jpg
I elected to put the strap on the off-side - which reproduces the location of the MGF Cup Car tow-eye. The front off-side was jacked up, and a pilot hole drilled 25 from its leading edge. This was progressively enlarged to over 12mm using a step drill.

Here's the hole, after painting the exposed metal with some smoothrite paint:
IMG_1176.JPG
The picture shows the front subframe mount (blue), green bodywork above, black-painted subframe - and the offside wheel arch liner in the background in the left lower corner to help orientate you. It's as if Rover intended this for a tow-eye mount? I doubt it: it's probably a left over from the subframe manufacturing process!

Now I need somewhere for the strap to pass through the bumper. A bit of measuring later, a bit of drilling and some finishing later, I have a 60x6mm slot in the front bumper :)
IMG_1177.JPG
Now I was free to fit the TRS tow strap, and adjust it to the appropriate length:
IMG_1178.JPG
Pictured above, the M12 8.8 tensile bolt: I have smeared some blue Loctite thread lock to prevent the nut going AWOL.

And here, with the TRS strap pushed through the bumper slot (that I made earlier!):
IMG_1179.JPG
Only took 30 minutes between rain showers to do :)

The only problem is for people with front fog lights fitted: the strap exit point is where your front fogs are currently fitted... :( But otherwise a very easy, straight forward job! I didn't cut off the excess strap, and instead rolled it up, and secured up out of the way using a cable tie.

Hope this is of some help to someone! :)

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Re: How to fit a TRS Tow Strap

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:23 pm

PS I am tucking this out of sight until needed: bright yellow might not be the brightest choice of colour: it'll get dirty really quickly I suspect! :(

diesel destroyer
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley
Model of Car: MGF GT

Post by diesel destroyer » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:48 am

I wanted a fixed towing eye Rob..

I've seen others bolt to the bumper carrier but think a sharp tug would bend this easily

I opted for some 6mm plate and the hot glue gun to make up a mount which is triangulated off the car around the small subframe mount.. So the tow point sits in line with the M14 bolt

Only potential problem I can see on your set up Rob is if your car is pulled in any direction other than 100% in line with the strap (even up or down) the bumper will get damaged.. That's why I went for a fixed two eye

My eye is removable with two bolts that can be removed with bumper in place

On another forum someone couldn't understand why I wanted a front tow point.. I can.. Clearly you can too lol

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:53 am

diesel destroyer wrote:I've seen others bolt to the bumper carrier but think a sharp tug would bend this easily
Using the large bolt from behind the indicator? Sadly, this would likely rip the bumper off if anyone attempted to tow you... :o
diesel destroyer wrote:I opted for some 6mm plate and the hot glue gun to make up a mount which is triangulated off the car around the small subframe mount.. So the tow point sits in line with the M14 bolt

That's an old photo now isn't Allan? :lol:

A welded plate is something I did consider - but because the car will be driven to events, I decided to go with the strap mounted from the subframe from a pedestrian safety perspective. But a strap could be mounted from your fabricated mount...
diesel destroyer wrote:Only potential problem I can see on your set up Rob is if your car is pulled in any direction other than 100% in line with the strap (even up or down) the bumper will get damaged.. That's why I went for a fixed two eye
Yes, I agree, that is a limitation - but one I've decided I can live with. There is a rear towing eye, so hopefully there won't be a need to take an extreme towing angle.
diesel destroyer wrote:On another forum someone couldn't understand why I wanted a front tow point.. I can.. Clearly you can too lol
Evidently a car built and homologated in the 1990s did not have a requirement for a front towing eye - but it is a limitation for when the car ever needs to be towed by anyone other than a Professional recovery company. And on a circuit, you do, on occassion, need to get towed out of the kitty litter. Running a rope to the subframe carries with it a real risk to the bumper if it needs towing from the front...

Hmm, I guess another solution would be to bolt a 3+mm steel plate to the mounting location I've used, to bring the strap mounting closer to the bumper?

Swampy
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1998 MGF VVC

Post by Swampy » Sun May 04, 2014 3:40 am

An answer to a question I have been pondering as I need a useful towing point on the front. The two front 'tow eyes' have both been flattened and ground away over time. Diesel destroyer, did you mount your tow eye to a similar point as Rob?
Green 1998 MGF VVC road/track car (Green machine)
Blue 1998 MGF VVC garden ornament (to be a track car - Smurfette)

diesel destroyer
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley
Model of Car: MGF GT

Post by diesel destroyer » Mon May 05, 2014 5:14 am

I used 6mm plate and box to make a triangulated mounting point

Then the tow eye bolts on once the bumper is in place

I've jacket the front of the car up on the tow point and its solid

I wanted it so that it pulled 'over' the M14 subframe mount bolt.. If that makes sense

The tow eye was sourced from Elise parts

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Thu May 15, 2014 9:27 am

I should have added to this thread: thanks to the oil leak after Snetterton, the tow loop got an impromptu real world test: it worked a treat for loading Project Shed onto the AA low loader! :lol:

No bumper damage caused Allan :)

frankedwinsson
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF VVC 1996

Post by frankedwinsson » Fri May 26, 2023 8:07 pm

Hi
Do you have a photo showing your tow eye with the bumper mounted on your car?
Did I undertstand this correctly: The tow eye on your can be mounted / taken off with 2 bolts with the bumper in place?
Would it be possible to use your solution on a LHD car?
Thank you.
Frank-in-Sweden

diesel destroyer wrote:
Mon May 05, 2014 5:14 am
I used 6mm plate and box to make a triangulated mounting point

Then the tow eye bolts on once the bumper is in place

I've jacket the front of the car up on the tow point and its solid

I wanted it so that it pulled 'over' the M14 subframe mount bolt.. If that makes sense

The tow eye was sourced from Elise parts