Locked keys in the boot of my mgf

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
frenchdave
MGF Register Region: Europe

Locked keys in the boot of my mgf

Post by frenchdave » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:21 pm

Locked my keys in the boot of the car, any ways of getting into the boot? Very stupid move i know, anyone with a solution please pm as soon as you can please. Thanks

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Re: Locked keys in the boot of my mgf

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:49 pm

Is the car locked or open Dave? If open, you can use the "Treffen method" :)

MGF74

Post by MGF74 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:44 pm

Check your local yellow pages maybe; some garages offer the service of opening your locks for you.

Because old car keys like the MGF/TF's key are a relatively simple design, a place with the right tools should be able to pick the lock in no time. And damage free.

If all else fails, you can always take a big flathead screwdriver and ram it into your lock with a good amount of force. Your lock should then open with little effort as you turn the screwdriver, although you will naturally need a new lock after that ;)

That's how thieves broke into my car while I was on holiday in Normandy. Crafty buggers... we left the car in a car park at a beach just for a 10-minute stroll... and I didn't even know they had broken into the car until half an hour down the road I realised that my camera and a wallet were missing... only then did I notice that somebody had "punched" the passenger side door lock.
'98 MGF 1.8i MPI (weekend/summer/fun car)
'99 Audi A4 1.8T saloon (daily driver)

frenchdave

Post by frenchdave » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:24 pm

Not sure if I used the right methord, but got in via engine compartment. a bit though but did it.
Thanks
Dave

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:49 pm

Yup, that's the "Treffen method" - made a lot easier if you have a 10mm ratchet spanner (a must have tool IMO! :lol:)

Glad you got in the boot okay Dave :thumbsu:

carlvk
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by carlvk » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:43 am

Right, now go to the local heel bar and get a key cut and stick it in the coin part of your wallet. A cheapy thin key is always in my wallet. It works as a totem to prevent you locking your main key in.... well it has for me :)

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:52 am

Or go to E Bay and buy an electronic boot release with a hidden switch or attach a bicycle brake cable and run it through to the cabin and hide it somewhere.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:40 pm

I'm considering an electric release with the usual ignition controlled dash switch and a constant live hidden reed swich.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:29 am

I've got a cunning idea where to hide a boot release switch: on the side of the dash board - the section that is hidden by the door trim when the door is closed... Might just work a treat! :D

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:14 pm

Have a look at my kit at MG90 Rob, see if you can find the switch, my kit is electric. I used a bicycle cable method on the F years ago when I had it.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

talkingcars

Post by talkingcars » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:58 pm

Rob Bell wrote:I've got a cunning idea where to hide a boot release switch: on the side of the dash board - the section that is hidden by the door trim when the door is closed... Might just work a treat! :D
And if you are miles from home with the car is locked and the key is in the boot............
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:59 pm

If the car is unlocked, you open the driver's door and pop the boot. Doddle.

If you've locked the car, and locked the the key in the boot, you're in for a world of hurt any way you look at it... (unless you have a spare in your pocket!) :lol:

ashleyfrazer
MGF Register Region: South Midlands
Model of Car: MGF 1.8 MK2

Post by ashleyfrazer » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:49 pm

Hi
I remember years ago when the F first came out that someone suggested you could get a flat key made that you keep in your wallet as an emergency. Of course it depends where you have the wallet! Is such a key possible? Ash

Sent using Tapatalk

carlvk
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by carlvk » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:31 am

I got my flat key from the local heel bar

diesel destroyer
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley
Model of Car: MGF GT

Post by diesel destroyer » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:35 am

Or fit one of these.. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fire-Extingui ... 19da41e2aa

And mount somewhere under the car.. lay on the floor.. reach up and pull the handle..

Or stop locking your keys in the boot? :oops:

Ive gone full keyless now.. can even place the card in the boot.. slam it shut.. and open it from the door mounted switch.. its the future.. ;)

talkingcars

Post by talkingcars » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:44 am

Rob Bell wrote:If the car is unlocked, you open the driver's door and pop the boot. Doddle.

If you've locked the car, and locked the the key in the boot, you're in for a world of hurt any way you look at it... (unless you have a spare in your pocket!) :lol:
but with a permanent live hidden reed switch that can be triggered by a magnet hidden somewhere under a plastic panel you wont need the key, just a magnet.

cavaddict
MGF Register Region: Elsewhere

Post by cavaddict » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:50 am

Just don't carry your magnet in your wallet......it'll wipe your cards lol

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:18 pm

:lol: thanks Steve... :lol:

But nice idea James - perhaps a hidden tap switch like that used by TVR behind the body work, but in this case behind the trim, to operate the release?

Loads of options :) None 100% fool proof! Well, none except not having a boot lid cover, or one that is held in place by non-locking pins... :lol:

Frank in Sweden
Model of Car: MGF VVC 1999

Post by Frank in Sweden » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:58 pm

On my old TR3 I had a spare key mounted under the left front wing. I thought this would be useful. But Murphy's Law just made me never loose the key. But, honestly, has anyone figured out a good place to mount a spare key on an MGF? And would this key have to be sealed im a way to prevent if from corrosion and water? The TR3-key was just that. A key. I assume the MGF-key has built in electronics?
Frank in Sweden, (presently in exile in Romania)
MGF VVC 1999, LHD
Austin Cooper S 1964, 1293cc, FIA App.K race car

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:45 pm

The key is just a key. The key fob, or blipper or transponder or what ever you want to call it, is the electronic part.

Given that you can enter the car with the key, and inactivate the immobiliser by entering the Emergency Key Access (EKA) code, you don't have to keep a spare fob on the vehicle. Just a key - and just like your old TR3 keep that hidden somewhere :)