Sorry guys! Common air filter question!

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Bradley7779
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Sorry guys! Common air filter question!

Post by Bradley7779 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:32 pm

Sorry everyone firstly! but I have scoured the net and this forum for a few answers I just can't seem to find! I have purchased a green cone filter and have fully read up about removing the old air filter etc but I cant seem to find out if I need a length of pipe to run from the throttle body or do I just attach the cone filter direct to the end port hole? If I need the extra hose, any idea where I can get this from as I cant find any on ebay and does anyone know what diameter I need ( if I do ) as I'm at work at the minute and can't get my spanners out! :lol:

Also do I need to remove the resonance box too? ( I don't understand this part as I'm no mechanic and just started tinkering with my new toy! )

Really appreciate any advice guys and gals! :)

Bradley.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Re: Sorry guys! Common air filter question!

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:41 pm

These pages will help you: http://mgf.ultimatemg.com/group2/air_filters/index.htm

Following rolling road tests, I found that attaching the filter directly to the throttle body REDUCED power, so I would certainly avoid that. You'll need to space it out - 4-6" is about right. 69-70mm ID silicone hose will be ideal. You'll probably need an adapter to fit between your spacer tube and the airfilter - something with a 69-70mm OD and 20mm wide.

Be careful as to how you tighten this tube to the throttle body: jubilee clips should be avoided on cars fitted with a plastic throttle body, as it will distort it and cause fast idles due to a sticking throttle butterfly valve.

One other piece of advice - make sure you feed your air filter will plenty of cold air - see the links from the above page; use some air ducts, and if you can, shield your air filter from the heat of the engine bay - that way you'll derive maximum benefit from the air filter swap :)

Bradley7779

Post by Bradley7779 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:14 pm

Hi Rob!

Thanks again for the advice and the link! would something like this work? > http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Blue-Sili ... 126wt_1173

Or am I completely looking at the info all wrong? ha ha!

Sorry to be a pain!

Bradley.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:10 pm

Silicone tube would work well :)

Bradley7779

Post by Bradley7779 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:51 pm

Cheers Rob! It took all day to get the right information out of the supplier ( Who have also buggered up the delivery! ) should of been here yesterday but now the filter wont be here till Monday now :( They said the filter fitting is 60mm so I guess I need a 70mm > 60mm elbow silicone hose piece? will I still an adapter? :/

Cheers!

Lee.

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:02 pm

Ideally one wants the filter to have a larger bore than the throttle body or it will act as a restriction.

I used a 45' elbow in silicone between the throttle body and the filter, it is the adaptor.

If you remove the resonator box you take away the nearside splash guard, I sliced mine in situ to live the outside edge, took hours.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Bradley7779

Post by Bradley7779 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:29 pm

Oh so is the filter not really the correct size for what I need? :o They did say it was for a 1.8i MGF but they have managed to bugger everything else up so far! could you suggest the correct pipe I may need? there's thousands of different sizes and angles on ebay and im really not sure what will fit? :/

Bradley.

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:09 pm

If you have a filter with a 60mm outlet I would get a 70mm to 60mm reducing elbow at 45' such as some in this link - http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksi ... &_from=R40 - personally I have had some good service from Mr Silicone. Also get 2 suitable jubilee or hose clips.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Bradley7779

Post by Bradley7779 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:22 pm

I have purchased this one for £15?? with clips included :)

Thanks for your help guys!! :)

Bradders.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:34 am

Let us know how you get on! :D

Bradley7779

Post by Bradley7779 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:41 am

Sorry Rob forgot to post the link! lol >>>> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191226147121#ht_4540wt_999

Went for this one at £15.00

Lee.

Bradley7779

Post by Bradley7779 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:29 pm

Look what Mr Posty just delivered!! That's my evening planned tonight! ha ha!

Bradley.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:57 pm

Looks good - might be a smidge too long, but easy to cut to the appropriate length :)

Bradley7779

Post by Bradley7779 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:39 pm

How far into the filter should the pipe be Rob? it's only pushed in about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch at the moment? like you say should be easy enough to cut if it can't go in anymore :)

Bradley.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:22 pm

Sounds about right Bradley - if too far, the intake air will be partially obstructed by the far end of the air filter.

Hmm, now I am wondering whether it would be a good idea to fit a bell mouth inside the air filter? Sadly there is no way of getting one inside there! :lol:

Bradley7779

Post by Bradley7779 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:29 pm

Ha Ha! no that would be some Houdini trick methinks Rob! Ah well i'll give it a try later and see what runs best :) Would it be better for the filter to be angled down or more or less kind of level as it can be without being obstructed by the inspection cover? im tempted to angle lower with about a 3 - 4" gap from the new 3" diameter intake hosing? What do you think?

Once I have a decent set up I'm happy with, I'll snap some pics ;)

Bradley.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:12 pm

I guess slightly downwards so the filter is least obstructed by engine bay clutter would be perfect Bradley :)

Bradley7779

Post by Bradley7779 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:53 pm

Hi Rob! Wow that resonator box thing was a bloody nightmare to get out! :O I started at 6pm and just finished! Sounds very beefy but not much induction noise so to speak? Is that just because of using a cone filter and not a cold air enclosed induction kit? Tick over is smoother and pulls well so not complaining! Oh yeah .. photos... one second! :)

Bradley7779

Post by Bradley7779 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:00 pm

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:07 pm

Looks good! :thumbsu: Where does your cold air feed pick up from? If the nearside air intake, it won't flow very much air sadly. Probably better if you mount it intake for that just under the subframe...