Clutch? clutch slave? or something else? :(

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Bradley7779
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Clutch? clutch slave? or something else? :(

Post by Bradley7779 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:13 pm

I'm hoping this is one of my last lil problems for a while at least! anyways .. since I first got my MGF last month it feels like the clutch is slipping? it drives fine if you drive carefully ( as I always do ;) ) but if for arguments sake I had to overtake and drop a gear and put my foot down, it sometimes will rev normally and revs go up but wont bite unless I accelerate gently?? I just hope to god its not a new clutch needed because I will be then seriously out of pocket big time :( .. Does this sound like the trait of the slave cylinder or the clutch arm sticking?

I do hope so! :(

Cheers for your advice guys! this forum has been a god send so far!! Keep up the good work and hopefully I can contribute back in the near future!!! :thumbsu:

Bradders.

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Re: Clutch? clutch slave? or something else? :(

Post by talkingcars » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:19 pm

First port of call is to make sure the clutch arm is working properly.

A true test of clutch slip is while at low speed in a high gear floor the gas, if the engine speed rises quickly the clutch is slipping, if it bogs down it is fine, it doesn't sound like yours is doing this.

If it was the slave I'd expect it to be difficult to engage gears.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Bradley7779

Post by Bradley7779 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:26 pm

hmm it engages gears fine? feels crisp and no rattles or clunking or anything? just sounds like something isnt engaging properly?

I'll try and look up on this clutch arm problem I think ;)

Any links you have would be great :)

I so would of took this car back if I didn't wierdly love it so much! ha ha!

Bradders.

Rich in Vancouver
MGF Register Region: Canada

Post by Rich in Vancouver » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:53 pm

For clutch arm operation/slave cylinder function remove the engine inspection cover and look at the movement of the slave and clutch arm while an assistant
pumps the pedal. A bleed may be helpful while you are in there. If the slave piston and the clutch arm have full movement then the fault may be in the clutch itself. One of my F's had issues with a rusty leaking clutch pipe under the car but that would show different symptoms that your issue.
(It does sound like a worn/contaminated clutch)

chrisrigby
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: MGF Abingdon LE VVC

Post by chrisrigby » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:09 pm

Its possible the clutch arm may not be fully returning I'd deffo get the cover off and look if all is good could be something within the clutch.

Bradley7779

Post by Bradley7779 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:49 pm

Cheers Chris! Im slightly feeling a little better! lol :)

Bradley7779

Post by Bradley7779 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:05 am

Hi All!

Last night whilst I had the airfilter box all out I could actually get the the clutch slave properly.. I had someone pump the clutch so I could see movement and it did look pretty gunked up and sticky.. I touched the seal and some sort of oil ( amber/yellow coloured ) came oozing out but then stopped? I 3in1'd the hell out of the part that moves in and out and the person I had pumping the clutch said it did feel like something had free'd up a little and felt smoother? Is it worth whipping it off and getting a seal repair get to sort it out properly? :/

Cheers!

Bradley.

carlvk

Post by carlvk » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:45 am

A clutch slave seal kit is one of the easiest things to do, and fairly cheap. I would do it, especially as old hydraulic fluid is amber coloured.
if you are south of Brum I could probably give you a hand/ encouragement.

Bradley7779

Post by Bradley7779 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:07 pm

Ah cheers Carl! I'm in Tamworth so not really south of Birmingham but It would be handy to keep in touch with you on here in case I struggle with it when the new seal repair kit comes :) So I guess I just need a seal repair kit and some hydraulic fuid then? Is there any particular fluid I should use and any idea how much I will need? lol I dont want to end up buying shed loads of it if I dont need it! ha ha!

Cheers for your help!

Bradley.

Bradley7779

Post by Bradley7779 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:11 pm

talkingcars wrote:First port of call is to make sure the clutch arm is working properly.

A true test of clutch slip is while at low speed in a high gear floor the gas, if the engine speed rises quickly the clutch is slipping, if it bogs down it is fine, it doesn't sound like yours is doing this.

If it was the slave I'd expect it to be difficult to engage gears.
It does do this I'm afraid! when I floor it in a high gear .. usually second or third then the revs fly up but I go no where :( If I accelerate gradually then it's not as bad and only slips between 2000 - 3000 rpm ish?

Would this need a complete new clutch or could it just be a certain component? I guess if it all has to come out then I guess a whole new clutch might just be worth taking the sting for?

Bradley.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:19 pm

I need to rebuild the clutch slave cylinder on N7, as there is tell-tale evidence of it having been leaking (but the hydraulic levels are fine!)

carlvk

Post by carlvk » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:57 am

Bradley7779 wrote:Ah cheers Carl! I'm in Tamworth so not really south of Birmingham but It would be handy to keep in touch with you on here in case I struggle with it when the new seal repair kit comes :) So I guess I just need a seal repair kit and some hydraulic fuid then? Is there any particular fluid I should use and any idea how much I will need? lol I dont want to end up buying shed loads of it if I dont need it! ha ha!

Cheers for your help!

Bradley.
Its dot 4 fluid I don't know how much, sorry, THIS would do.
Beware of its paint stripping properties especially when dirty hands are leant on paintwork. cover your body work with rags and keep a bucket of warm soapy water handy to wash off any spillages immediately.