Gasses in coolant

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
radiomarty
MGF Register Region: South Midlands
Model of Car: 1996 1.8vvc

Gasses in coolant

Post by radiomarty » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:22 pm

Had a sniffer test done as I was having an issue with air in my coolant tank - it would appear from the results I have an issue with the head gasket .

Has anyone used this guy before ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MGF-TF-ROVER- ... 233b9aeeaa

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Re: Gasses in coolant

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:13 pm

Sorry to hear that - sounds as though the gasket has failed at the fire ring. :(

Which gasket is on the engine at the moment? What ever else is decided, the cylinder head is going to need to be removed. Have a look to see whether the alloy casting has gone soft as represented by an especially deep indentation from the cylinder liners - see picture below.

If the head looks okay, check the liners for cracks and for stand proud. The should be about 2 thou proud of the block deck, but if flush, you may be able to get away with the original elasteromeric type head gasket.

Back to your original question, no I haven't had experience with the chap in the eBay listing. Apart from not knowing how to switch off the caps lock, it seems that he knows what he is doing? See whether he can supply any testimonials. The other option would be to source a replacement cylinder head if that is where the problem lies.

Keep us posted! :)

radiomarty

Post by radiomarty » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:53 pm

Many thanks Rob

I have owned the car for 18 months - the history file suggests that the head gasket was changed 30000 miles / 6 years ago for a MLS type together with a recon trophy 160 head ( its a standard P reg VVC) - Will update once the heads off and the route cause found.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:08 am

MLS gaskets have a reputation of not sealing that well on the fire rings, and need some extra liner stand proud. Standard 18K4FJ31 engines however were built to have a liner height that was practically flush with the block deck - and if this is the case, you'd be better off using the original elastomeric type head gasket.

radiomarty

Post by radiomarty » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:16 pm

Update :

Well Guy at Wow Automotive has worked his magic - Problem was down to a slight leak on number 3 cylinder due to a very poor head skim on the previous repair - you can just about see the black marking in the photo's :

Before :

After :

Head skimmed , MLS gasket fitted and back on the road

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:00 pm

Blimey! The original skim looks dreadful! It almost looks as though someone did it with 80 grit wet and dry! Reconditioned head now looks practically new! :thumbsu: