putting MkII/TF gear knob onto a sawed off gear lever

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
MGF74
MGF Register Region: Europe

putting MkII/TF gear knob onto a sawed off gear lever

Post by MGF74 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:47 am

Hello,

I am toying with the idea of retiring my blingy chrome Momo gear lever knob and putting the OEM alloy knob on the lever.

I've been aware for some time that the previous owner sawed off the tip of the gear lever when he installed the Momo knob (possibly because the Momo knob is somewhat oblong and may have made the already ridiculously long MkI gear lever even longer).

Here's a picture:

(notice my current gear knob)

But now that I am thinking about getting the OEM MkII knob, I am wondering how that knob is attached to the gear lever. Did the sawed off tip of the lever have a screw thread that the knob would have screwed onto?
'98 MGF 1.8i MPI (weekend/summer/fun car)
'99 Audi A4 1.8T saloon (daily driver)

daz
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: mg less :(

Re: putting MkII/TF gear knob onto a sawed off gear lever

Post by daz » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:23 pm

MGF74 wrote:
Did the sawed off tip of the lever have a screw thread that the knob would have screwed onto?
Yes

MGF74

Post by MGF74 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:31 pm

great... so I take it that means I am, ahem, screwed...?

Maybe I could just glue it on then, with sealing compound or similar. Although that would probably make it a pain to get back off, if ever needed.

Or perhaps with the proper tools cut a new thread in the remaining tip of my gear lever?

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:07 pm

The tube is hollow and wider below where the thread is so I doubt you'll be able to thread it.

A lot of aftermarket knobs have a grub screw at the bottom to hold them in place. Have you considered a more normal style of knob, or replacing the whole shaft?
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

MGF74

Post by MGF74 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:19 pm

well, I saw a TF last weekend at a local meet here, and I must say I really like the OEM alloy knob, having seen it for myself. More than the knob I've got now. I'm pretty set on wanting that one.

Another idea I just had, how about welding a bit of thread rod onto my sawed off lever? I've got access to a welding kit at the DIY garage where I often go. It will probably require a fair bit of skill to weld the thread rod on straight, but how about this approach? What size is the thread on the bit that the previous owner of my car sawed off? Is it M10?

cath's mg
MGF Register Region: Hertfordshire
Model of Car: MGF

Post by cath's mg » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:53 pm

I got an alloy gear knob for Cath's 1996 F, it didn't fit.
I had to drill the centre out the gear knob (the same size as the gear stick). Then took it to a machine shop, got them to drill and tap the gear knob to take a small grub screw.
Works perfect :D

Gary :thumbsu: :thumbsu:
Cath's car but Gary's plaything :-)

talkingcars

Post by talkingcars » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:57 pm

MGF74 wrote:Another idea I just had, how about welding a bit of thread rod onto my sawed off lever?
I trust you were planning to take the lever out of the car before welding it, by the time you've done that you may as well fit a second hand replacement.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

talkingcars

Post by talkingcars » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:03 pm

I guess you could get another lever and make it fit over the current stump, cut a couple of thin slices up the shaft so it can slide over the stump and hold it in place with jubilee clips or exhaust clamps, think of how an exhaust back box is attached.

MGF74

Post by MGF74 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:45 pm

talkingcars wrote:I trust you were planning to take the lever out of the car before welding it, by the time you've done that you may as well fit a second hand replacement.
right, very true. Didn't think that one through all the way. :?

I like Cath's approach... I've got a drill stand, so I could pretty much do the job myself, even the hole on the side for a grub screw. I'd just have to buy the proper milling bits for my power drill. Haven't done this kind of thing though with my good old drill, it only has 600 watts, hope that'll be enough...

cath's mg

Post by cath's mg » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:29 pm

MGF74 wrote:
talkingcars wrote:I
I like Cath's approach... I've got a drill stand, so I could pretty much do the job myself, even the hole on the side for a grub screw. I'd just have to buy the proper milling bits for my power drill. Haven't done this kind of thing though with my good old drill, it only has 600 watts, hope that'll be enough...
If I remember correctly the threaded part of the Gear Knob is plastic insert so no problem drilling that out to size :D

:rant: I want a drill Stand ......................Caaaaaath

MGF74

Post by MGF74 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:44 pm

cath's mg wrote: :rant: I want a drill Stand ......................Caaaaaath
A drill stand doesn't have to cost you an arm and a leg (although it might, if things go horribly wrong and you hurt yourself while using it :? ).

But seriously, 50 to 60 quid should buy you a solid "budget" one with which you can safely do good-quality simple jobs. Mine is a quite simple one, and it's ancient, my dad bought it at least 30 years ago and it still works.

Well then, I'll see if I can get a used OEM alloy knob somewhere in good shape. Rimmer Bros still have new ones, but 80 quid plus p&p is a tad pricey...

cath's mg

Post by cath's mg » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:33 pm

Well then, I'll see if I can get a used OEM alloy knob somewhere in good shape. Rimmer Bros still have new ones, but 80 quid plus p&p is a tad pricey...
There a few on the Bay of E :thumbsu:

Rich in Vancouver
MGF Register Region: Canada

Post by Rich in Vancouver » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:10 am

I did the same as Cath'sMg.
I cut about 20mm off the shift lever stem below the threaded portion then drilled and tapped the stem. I cut the original threaded portion off the stub and threaded it back onto the lever using Loctite and screwed the knob on.
I did it in the car without removing the lever. You do need a good set of drills and a 12x1.25 tap.
The metal isn't very hard and drilled and tapped easier than expected.
You could use a bolt with the head cut off as the threaded bit seeing as how the PO already cut yours off.

Dell
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: Trophy160 Bug Magnet

Post by Dell » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:52 am

Now that looks like a proper engineered job unlike the grub screw method :thumbsu:
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist fears that this is true.