After Market Steering wheel

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Fenton
MGF Register Region: South East

After Market Steering wheel

Post by Fenton » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:33 pm

Well my TF 160 gets delivered on Thursday.
However the one thing that I don't particular like is the steering wheel.
Are there any after market steering wheels, preferably with audio controls.

Cheers

Dell
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: Trophy160 Bug Magnet

Re: After Market Steering wheel

Post by Dell » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:43 pm

You need to take into consideration the fact that the drivers air bag is mounted in the steering wheel you may find that that you will be able to fit other Rover group steering wheels & retain the feature as I have done by fitting an F one to a ZR
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist fears that this is true.

jaydoginvasion
MGF Register Region: East Anglia

Post by jaydoginvasion » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:28 pm

If it's just the controls you need I believe the Rover 75 ones can be modified for the First wheel

jaydoginvasion
MGF Register Region: East Anglia

Post by jaydoginvasion » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:34 pm

Auto correct, meant the F wheel!

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:01 pm

I have fitted R45 controls on my F wheel so it's possible.

If you want a bigger wheel it is quite easy to fir a R45 wheel with the controls but you will need to add wiring and make an adaptor for cancelling the indicators, plenty of info on the net about fitting the F/TF wheel into the ZS/45, you just need to reverse it.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Fenton

Post by Fenton » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:55 am

If anything I'm looking for a smaller wheel.

I loved the Steering wheel in my old Elise, which didn't even have power steering

diesel destroyer
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley
Model of Car: MGF GT

Post by diesel destroyer » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:00 am

There is a common mis-conception that all new cars have to have an air bag... When this is not true

There are a fair few cars which do not have an air bag as standard

Ive removed my air bag steering wheel and replaced with a smaller after market non air bag wheel

MOT tester says as long as there is no air bag light on the dash.. he cant fail whats not there

Air bags kill as well as save.. Ive made an informed choice and am happy to go bagless

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:09 pm

If you are after an aftermarket steering wheel, then the world is your oyster: MOMO do a steering wheel boss kit (for the ZR, but it is the same for the MGF/TF) that enables you to fit any steering wheel with the standard MOMO mounting PCD - which is the majority of wheels on the market. The bad news (there's always bad news) is that the MOMO boss is not compatible with the MGF/TF rotary coupler. I had a lot of fun and games with mine. Ultimately this may not be a big deal (you won't be using the airbag after all), but you may need to give this some thought - particularly regarding the location of the horn button.

I made mention of the modification necessary to get the boss to fit over the standard rotary coupler here: http://mgf.ultimatemg.com/project_shed/part14.htm

I am not sure whether the Rover 25/ MG ZR coupler is any different?

Dell

Post by Dell » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:08 pm

Quote I am not sure whether the Rover 25/ MG ZR coupler is any different?

I can confirm that the MGF wheel will directly replace the MGZR one but if I remember correctly I had to fit the F rotary coupler so there sould be no reason why this will not work in reverse
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist fears that this is true.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:17 am

Do you have a picture of the 25/ZR coupler? If so I'll have to get one! :)

Dell

Post by Dell » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:29 pm

Rob Bell wrote:Do you have a picture of the 25/ZR coupler? If so I'll have to get one! :)

Sorry I can`t help with a pic as it was fitted about 5 years ago as the ZR wheel was too big for our liking & I do not have a scooby doo where it is it will be in the back of the garage somewhere though so will try & dig it out over the weekend. I can`t remember exactly why I had to change the coupler but there was obviously a reason.

daz
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: mg less :(

Post by daz » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:34 pm

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:47 pm

There are 2 different plugs for airbag depending upob age of the car, as long as the plug and airbag match you'll be fine as all ZS/45/ZR/25/F/TF have the same plug on the main loom.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Dell

Post by Dell » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:01 pm

talkingcars wrote:There are 2 different plugs for airbag depending upob age of the car, as long as the plug and airbag match you'll be fine as all ZS/45/ZR/25/F/TF have the same plug on the main loom.
Cheers for that you just jogged my memory :thumbsu: that was why I had to change it I knew there was a reason just could not remember what it was.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:22 am

Thanks Daz - that coupler YMC 100410 looks almost identical to YMC100300 fitted to the MGF.

Has anyone used the rotary coupler with a MOMO hub adapter? I had to cut my rotary coupler and bend the terminals to get it to fit the steering wheel connector for the horn etc... Looks as though the same problem will beset the R25/ZR item?