Aftermarket boot release?

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
c13amb
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF 135

Aftermarket boot release?

Post by c13amb » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:05 pm

Hi all was wondering how easy or difficult it is to fit the boot release kit found on the bay for £15 ?
Considering buying one but im useless at electrics, is there a "how too" thread anywhere?how long should it take to fit?
Cheers all, just thought its really handy if it works!!
My cars..MY04 '54 MGTF135 in Yas Marina Blue!!!

MY13'63 AUDI Q7 S-LINE 3Ltr. In ibis white!!!

daz
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: mg less :(

Re: Aftermarket boot release?

Post by daz » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:39 pm

It took me around an hour to fit mine, the hardest part was running the wiring from the boot to the cockpit. I earthed it where it bolts onto the bootlid & took a live from a spare in the fusebox. This was run inside the inner sill covers behind the firewall carpet & through a grommet already fitted, after removing the engine cover. Then it was just a case of feeding it through the bootlid to the solenoid. Placement of the solenoid was just a case of trial & error. I used a mgtf push to make switch (I think it is a heated rear screen switch) so it all looks OEM & it has the advantage of being hidden in plain sight :) no more worrying about locking the keys in the boot for me.
Last edited by daz on Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

c13amb
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF 135

Post by c13amb » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:54 pm

Nice one daz..like the idea of using an MGTF switch!!
My cars..MY04 '54 MGTF135 in Yas Marina Blue!!!

MY13'63 AUDI Q7 S-LINE 3Ltr. In ibis white!!!

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:15 pm

Yep me too, I found the hardest part attaching the release cable as it kept slipping. Mykel and Klaus (we were in Maria's hotel back garden in Luxembourg at the time) had a nightmare configuring something that wouldn't slip but since then it's worked faultlessly, you may have noticed at MG90 how the boot lid popped open for Russ to use during his display.

Mine too is a hidden switch that's always live.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

Plezier
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF 75th

Post by Plezier » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:45 am

This is one thing I am considering for "Blue 33". As "Elsie" already had one fitted and it's rather handy. It's wired through the ignition and is a simply push button hidden under the dash on the centre console.

Rich in Vancouver
MGF Register Region: Canada

Post by Rich in Vancouver » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:57 am

Some time ago I read a post on installing one of these where they fitted it as a push release using a rod rather than a pull release on the cable. Giving this more thought, assuming the "push" method works it could be possible to hide much of the solenoid unit inside the cavity behind the boot latch. I've had one of the units kicking around for a couple of years waiting for me to give it a go! :roll:

Uncletone
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MGF 1.8 (1999)

Post by Uncletone » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:54 pm

Hi

Fitted one to mine but using the the attachment to fir to the cable was a "No No" I shortened the rod and soldered a round eyelet to it and then looped it over the release along with the original.

Works every time. I also invested in a SAAB push button boot lid release off flea bay and fitted it where it was easy to get to but hidden
Tone
MGCC & MGF Member

It Only Breaks When I Mend It
Built By Martin Smith (MGTF Spares Somerset)