Passenger door won't unlock

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
MgfVVCGreen
MGF Register Region: South East

Passenger door won't unlock

Post by MgfVVCGreen » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:46 pm

Hi all,

Had a problem with my passenger door not unlocking for the last few months, which was fun when it was summer, but now that winter's coming....

I've tried using the key instead of the remote, unhooking the battery and rehooking it. When you pull the little fob up inside the door, it feels loose, rather than under some kind of tension like the one on the driver's door. I'd thought that this might be because it had become disconnected from something inside the door so I've removed the door card so that I can see if anything obvious is wrong behind it, which there isn't. Originally, it stopped working for one day and then worked again for a week or so before stopping completely. This makes me think that it isn't anything to do with the mechanism inside the actual lock breaking, as I've heard can happen. Currently I'm now thinking it could be an electrical problem, but don't really know where to start with it.

Does it sound like I'm along the right lines? Has anyone got any advice as to where to start with looking at electrical problems with the lock ? Have I missed anything glaringly obvious?

Thanks for reading, any advice would be greatly appreciated

Richard

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Re: Passenger door won't unlock

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:45 pm

Hi Richard, welcome to the forum!

It is usually the driver's door lock that plays up, but it can effect the passenger lock too. The commonest problem is a failing, or gummed up micro switch in the mechanism that is causing it to stay locked.

Unfortunately there is no easy access to the lock once the door is locked shut (probably obvious security reasons for that! :lol:) but if you are lucky, and can get the door open, the easiest option is usually to replace the lock itself - which on the passenger side is relatively straight forward.

Hmm - thinking aloud a moment - you have a door key lock on the passenger side? Have you got a 1.6 MGF?

1.6MGFs don't have remote central locking, so it may point to a mechanical problem such as a jamming rod somewhere...?

Here's some instructions on how to replace the driver's door lock which may come in use: http://mgf.ultimatemg.com/group2/DIY/do ... /index.htm

MgfVVCGreen

Post by MgfVVCGreen » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:57 pm

Hi Rob, thanks!

Ah, that's what I'd read from other bits on the internet. Have you got any ideas as to how I would go about getting it open if it's stuck shut?

Sorry no, I've got a 1.8 VVC, what I meant is that I'd tried unlocking the driver's door with the key and seeing if it would unlock the passenger door.

Thanks for the instructions, they're really good.

Richard

Paulfoster43
MGF Register Region: Central Region

Post by Paulfoster43 » Sat May 06, 2023 5:03 pm

I have a passenger door lock which appears jammed. The door is locked shut so I have had to destroy the door card to gain access. I still can’t free the lock. People have suggested breaking the lock with a chisel. Anybody got any specific instructions as to how to do this. This is a most frustrating problem

Reckless Rat
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Post by Reckless Rat » Sun May 07, 2023 9:16 am

I would try a slice of spam.