Which Polish ??

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Bazza
MGF Register Region: North Wales
Model of Car: MGF VVC'98

Which Polish ??

Post by Bazza » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:52 pm

What is the best polish please for a great shine?
Very many thanks.

David Dixon
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF 135

Re: Which Polish ??

Post by David Dixon » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:37 pm

I like Autoglym's High Definition Wax. Be wary of buying cheap online auction site prices though, I have heard about vendors removing applicators, polishing cloth and even skimming top surface of wax off from the complete package. If you want slightly abrasive polish to remove top surface of paint and contamination Autoglym Super Resin. If money no object any of the Swissvax products but were talking hundreds of pounds (high carnauba wax content). Detailing forum here http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/ for lots of info'. Other forums available just google 'detailing valeting'

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Post by nigelandjo » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:50 pm

What colour is the car?
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

Plezier
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF 75th

Post by Plezier » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:53 am

As I understand itt he shine is only really as good as the paint underneath so first one has to get the paint surface clean and smooth. I was very surprised just how well "Elsie's" British Racing Green (HAM) paint came up with an application of clay. I bought a pre cleaner and washed her with that then clayed the paint then used the polish I had on hand then applied Turtle Wax High Gloss to her. made a huge difference it ddi.

Did the same to "Blue 33" and it really brought the Blue Tahiti paint out. :thumbsu:

There are betetr products but these are what I had so that's what i use until there gone then I might buy better.

mimo
MGF Register Region: East Midlands

Post by mimo » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:00 am

I like zymol polish.
Best way to a great shine is wash,clay bar,polish, wax.
I use bilt-hambler clay bar, zymol polish then a couple of coats of chemical guys 3x wax.

ashleyfrazer
MGF Register Region: South Midlands
Model of Car: MGF 1.8 MK2

Post by ashleyfrazer » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:01 am

After the autoglym polish I use blue velvet wax. Polish makes it look nice and wax protects the paint. Ash

yorkie
MGF Register Region: Europe

Post by yorkie » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:22 am

Autoglym for me.
As the water here is very hard and dries patchy, I use Aquawax to dry the car with and it keeps the shine going and avoids the streaks.

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:43 am

As Plezier has said, don't even waste your time and effort (and money) until you have the base paint clean and greasefree, you must start with a Clay Bar, then work your way through preliminary waxes that should include carnauba then on to the top finishes (the shiny ones).

To be honest I've tried many over as many years as I care to remember (even going back as far as the days when there were no car polishes so you had to use Simoniz furniture wax, that was hard work), now I stick to just one Meguiars, it has everything I need and the results are the best I've ever seen.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

jaydoginvasion
MGF Register Region: East Anglia

Post by jaydoginvasion » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:52 am

I like Meguiar's products.
I used the clay bar, polish and wax and was very surprised how well it cleaned up the original paint on my 96 F.
Not cheap but worth the money in my opinion.

David Dixon
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF 135

Post by David Dixon » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:06 pm

After washing the vehicle first & before a clay bar makeover, I suggest spraying tar remover, leaving it on a short while before wiping off, doing half a panel at a time. After the clay bar the paint is vulnerable to all attacks so you should ensure a coat of wax is applied, which then performs as a protective layer, as well as enhancing the shine.

Bazza

Post by Bazza » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:44 pm

Bosworthian wrote:I like Autoglym's High Definition Wax. Be wary of buying cheap online auction site prices though, I have heard about vendors removing applicators, polishing cloth and even skimming top surface of wax off from the complete package. If you want slightly abrasive polish to remove top surface of paint and contamination Autoglym Super Resin. If money no object any of the Swissvax products but were talking hundreds of pounds (high carnauba wax content). Detailing forum here http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/ for lots of info'. Other forums available just google 'detailing valeting'
That's great,thanks very much.

Bazza

Post by Bazza » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:47 pm

nigelandjo wrote:What colour is the car?
Hi...it's Anthracite grey.....many thanks.

Bazza

Post by Bazza » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:19 pm

Bosworthian wrote:After washing the vehicle first & before a clay bar makeover, I suggest spraying tar remover, leaving it on a short while before wiping off, doing half a panel at a time. After the clay bar the paint is vulnerable to all attacks so you should ensure a coat of wax is applied, which then performs as a protective layer, as well as enhancing the shine.
Cheers for that

Bazza

Post by Bazza » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:22 pm

jaydoginvasion wrote:I like Meguiar's products.
I used the clay bar, polish and wax and was very surprised how well it cleaned up the original paint on my 96 F.
Not cheap but worth the money in my opinion.
Great,thanks very much.