HELP/ADVICE REQ.

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
toomey73
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: 1.8i Mk2

HELP/ADVICE REQ.

Post by toomey73 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:05 pm

Hi everyone I need your help,

A few weeks ago when I was driving my X Reg MGF I went round a roundabout and an siren sounded from underneath the steering wheel for a second or two and then disappeared. My first thought was it was something on the radio station I was listening to. After about a week the siren sound went off again and then again. Now it comes on about 50% of the time when I'm driving the car. It can happen when I'm cornering or going straight. When you leave your lights on and switch the engine off and open the door a continuous siren goes off, the siren I'm experiencing is more like an alarm sound but it's coming from the same area (underneath the steering wheel area)? I've got an OBD reader and no fault codes are showing up when I test it and no warning lights are showing up on my dash. The car is driving perfectly normal apart from this annoying siren/alarm going off!! Has anybody experienced this problem or have heard of this before?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Andy.

jaydoginvasion
MGF Register Region: East Anglia

Re: HELP/ADVICE REQ.

Post by jaydoginvasion » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:11 pm

Low level coolant alarm?

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:54 pm

Is it the same as when you've used the car, switched off and come back to start it a few minutes later?
I don't know if the mk2 does this?

Either way I bet it is a loose connection.
Does it happen regardless of the lights being on or off?
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

toomey73

Post by toomey73 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:55 pm

Hi, just checked the coolant and everything is fine. Are there any other warning alarms you can think of? Cheers

toomey73

Post by toomey73 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:57 pm

Yeah it happens when lights are on or off. It doesnt immediately go off when I start the car, usually after a few minutes.

toomey73

Post by toomey73 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:29 pm

Right then I've just took the car for a quick drive, the first time in a couple of days. No warning siren sounded for the first 5-10mins. Only happened a couple of times after that. Pulled over turned off the car and started the car back up and the warning siren was going off quite a lot for the 5 mins back home. Lights off and on and even when the car static and the engine still running.

toomey73

Post by toomey73 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:07 pm

I've just googled low level coolant alarm. Perhaps a faulty one as the coolant level is fine. Hmmm?

Geoff.F

Post by Geoff.F » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:37 pm

If you have a B&G Coolant level alarm then it should be powered from the Cigar Lighter circuit This is supplied from Fuse2 in the Passenger Compartment FuseBox. Try pulling this fuse' when the "Alarm" is going.
Geoff F.

John SS
Model of Car: 2000 MGF VVC

Post by John SS » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:39 pm

If you have a low coolant alarm there will be wires leading from the coolant reservoir through the off side of the engine bay toward the passenger cabin.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:32 am

A B&G alarm should have a test "beep" when you turn the ignition on. There should also be a warning light - although many may not actually fit it. On my car, I use the redundant "catalyst overheat" warning light for this purpose.

What does the alarm sound like? Is it the same as the immobiliser warning?

toomey73

Post by toomey73 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:31 pm

Ok guys. Got home from work tonight and had a look and it doesnt appear to have a low level coolant alarm fitted. Exactly the same happens as mentioned before drive it for 5-10 mins then the alarm starts sounded (alarm/siren sound) intermittently. Turn the engine off and start her up again and the alarm is sounding on/off from the start. I decided to leave the car for half an hour and take it out for a drive with the heater turned to cold. I drove the car for 30 mins and the alarm hasn't sounded! Any clues?

jaydoginvasion
MGF Register Region: East Anglia

Post by jaydoginvasion » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:33 pm

Sounds like a dodgy circuit somewhere. Heat possibly causing expansion breaking the circuit. As to where not sure where it might be.