Exhaust note adjustment

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Re: Exhaust note adjustment

Post by talkingcars » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:53 am

Ant132 wrote:Thank you!

I'll have a good look underneath - if theres no cat, what is the gap filled with? Or is it just easy to omit.
There maybe a sports cat or more likely a straight pipe with the flanges at the end.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Ant132
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by Ant132 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:55 am

Ah ok - that would make sense. So guessing that even i swapped the silencer, if the cat was missing id need a cat aswell or problem would persist :)

jaydoginvasion
MGF Register Region: East Anglia

Post by jaydoginvasion » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:15 pm

To a degree yes.
A cat may make it more bearable if one isn't installed.

Ant132

Post by Ant132 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:08 pm

It has a cat - so im guessing its just obnoxiously loud.

One thing i did notice is that is appears to have a cone-type air filter on it, like K&N style. Surely this will contribute to the noise, anything that can be done with the air filter?

jaydoginvasion

Post by jaydoginvasion » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:13 pm

Could put in a closed induction filter such as a Vadar a standard air box or one from a TF.
I have a standard one you can have if you like but a closed induction or a Tf one are better

jaydoginvasion

Post by jaydoginvasion » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:17 pm

Whereabouts are you by the way?

Plezier
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF 75th

Post by Plezier » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:23 pm

Ant132 wrote:It has a cat - so im guessing its just obnoxiously loud.

One thing i did notice is that is appears to have a cone-type air filter on it, like K&N style. Surely this will contribute to the noise, anything that can be done with the air filter?
My VVC "Elsie" has a K&N 57i fitted, was on it when she arrived here, and that is the open cone one. There is "supposed" to be induction roar from such a filter however I am still looking for this fabled induction roar. One can hear it very slightly when it's cold and I believe I heard it once when booting the throttle wide opne besides a high stone wall but that was it in some 4,000 miles of driving her.

So I doubt you will notice any difference in noise if you fit the standard air box back.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:32 pm

Looking at the pictures, this is an X-Power aftermarket exhaust (for the TF), and yes, there is a catalyst fitted as you can see it in some of the pictures.

You should be able to re-sell this system, as it is an official MG part, and there is a market for systems like this. One persons' "too loud" is someone else's "sports car exhaust note"! :lol:

Ant132

Post by Ant132 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:13 pm

Thanks everyone.

I made a further discovery today, I by chance happened to notice there was no pressure coming out of the silencers, nothing at all. So I though maybe there's a massive hole I'm missing or something.

So I jacked the car up and found out that there is a pipe that seems to connect the cost to the manifold, that has come away and there is no seal at all.

:o :o

It's sort of like a coil/spring section is the best way I can describe it. Anyone familiar?

Best way to repair? New section, weld, etc?

Ant

Geoff.F

Post by Geoff.F » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:34 pm

Presumably you refer to the flexible pipe between the manifold and the cat. You will need to remove it to examine it and then decide the location and extent of damage before considering repair. They have been repaired with replacement flexible section or flange however the economics may well require a replacement.
There are so many cars in Scrappies and bought to strip for spares that finding one should not be difficult.
Geoff F.

talkingcars

Post by talkingcars » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:40 am

Ant132 wrote:..........It's sort of like a coil/spring section is the best way I can describe it. Anyone familiar?

Best way to repair? New section, weld, etc?

Ant
It is part of the down pipe. Personally I would replace the whole downpipe, possibly with a stainless steel one from ebay but you maybe able to get a repair made by someone such as powerflow of longlife.

If sourcing a replacement early cars have a four bolt flange at the top, later cars have 6.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

talkingcars

Post by talkingcars » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:44 am

Rob Bell wrote:Looking at the pictures, this is an X-Power aftermarket exhaust (for the TF), and yes, there is a catalyst fitted as you can see it in some of the pictures.
The pictures with the cat in are Jaydoginvasions pictures, the last 2 on the previous page are Ants and you can only see the tail pipe.

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:12 am

Did you buy from a dealer or private ?, this is a fault, not a loud exhaust, take it back and get them to repair or replace it if you can.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

Ant132

Post by Ant132 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:44 pm

I bought it privately, very cheaply so if thats the only thing wrong then i've been very lucky i think.

Rather naively i missed the leak and believed the sellers excuse of a 'loud aftermarket system' :lol:

So ive order a flexipipe and i will attempt to fit it myself. Are the any guides on this, i am hopeing its fairly simple as long as the bolts come off easy enough!

Thanks chaps.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:19 pm

The flexipipe is part of the down pipe. This is bolted to the exhaust manifold flange.

Note that there are two versions of this: a four-stud and a six-stud - the latter for later MEMS3 cars (post catalyst lambda sensor).

James, thanks - I hadn't realised that all the pictures weren't of Ant's car; Ant, best confirm (1) you have a catalyst fitted and (2) that it is still intact! Hopefully the matrix is still in one piece. :)

Ant132

Post by Ant132 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:04 pm

Rob Bell wrote:The flexipipe is part of the down pipe. This is bolted to the exhaust manifold flange.

Note that there are two versions of this: a four-stud and a six-stud - the latter for later MEMS3 cars (post catalyst lambda sensor).

James, thanks - I hadn't realised that all the pictures weren't of Ant's car; Ant, best confirm (1) you have a catalyst fitted and (2) that it is still intact! Hopefully the matrix is still in one piece. :)
Mine is an early 2000 so has the four studs - thanks for pointing this out though. Im sure i could have easily ordered the wrong one.

1) yes it does have a catalyst fitted and seems in good order! 2) from what i can see, yes. But its not even in use at the moment due to the clear break at the flexi pipe. :oops:

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:10 pm

Great stuff :)

Flexipipe replacement is one of those jobs that ought to be straightforward, but more often than not complicated by corrosion, stuck nuts and the ever prevailing fear of sheared flange studs! If you have access to oxyacetyline, heating everything up to cherry red is probably the best route to a simple job :)

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:52 pm

Rob Bell wrote:Great stuff :)

Flexipipe replacement is one of those jobs that ought to be straightforward, but more often than not complicated by corrosion, stuck nuts and the ever prevailing fear of sheared flange studs! If you have access to oxyacetyline, heating everything up to cherry red is probably the best route to a simple job :)
So take it to an exhaust place near you :D Seriously, they are hard to remove, the studs will probably snap but if you're inclined to do it your self get new nuts/bolts ready for the replacement. You can buy cat saver nuts that are closed ended and are easier to remove later.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

talkingcars

Post by talkingcars » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:00 pm

Have you ordered the complete downpipe or just a flexi section?