Tyres and the MoT !

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Geoff.F
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Re: Tyres and the MoT !

Post by Geoff.F » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:43 am

There is the OEM "50" (MPH) yellow label for the spare wheel.
Geoff.F

Neil Rushton
MGF Register Region: Lancashire
Model of Car: TF135

Post by Neil Rushton » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:29 pm

I've only once used the spare on our 2010 TF after a Goodyear blew out on the M65 on the way to Oulton Park a few years ago, trouble is the spare is bright yellow so I thought I'd best stick to the 50mph limit but it's a bit disconcerting with huge trucks up your backside wondering why your doing 50 on the motorway!!
Thinking about it as the tyre on the spare is at least 8yrs old I should bin it & get a Falken to match the rest?
Kawasaki KLX250
Skoda Citigo 75hp!!!
A share in an English Electric Lightning F6 fighter!!!!

Mikeadman
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MGTF 135 2005

Post by Mikeadman » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:25 pm

Needs binning & get Falken.

Cheers

Mike

Humpy 51
MGF Register Region: South Coast

Post by Humpy 51 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:19 am

RobboMC wrote:The objective of the MoT is to stop the absolute nurds from driving dangerous cars. If you are 'car centric' enough to be on this forum then you should appreciate the need for having safe tyres in good condition. You wouldn't drive your car with faulty brakes, so why discuss driving with faulty tyres.

And why even consider driving with a spare that may let you down when you need it most. It s a lot like Chelsea having an injured player on the bench - just doesn't happen.

We all know tyres go hard with age. In my opinion if your tyres are over about 8 years old you should get new ones, including he spare which should have been rotated anyway.
How can you "rotate" the spare on an F? It`s only 14 " compared to the rest being 15`s or 16`s. :sf:

Charless
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 96 Mpi, 99 VVC

Post by Charless » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:43 am

How can you "rotate" the spare on an F? It`s only 14 " compared to the rest being 15`s or 16`s.
For some models yes.
But many people have by now bought an extra wheel of whatever style they have on, and keep a front size on it as a permanent spare instead of the small steelie. Later models went to 215x40x16 all round, so it isn't such an odd suggestion.

YMGF
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley

Post by YMGF » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:19 pm

Apologies in advance for re-opening this topic, but I'd be interested in your thoughts on a slightly different angle to the tyre age debate. The tyres on my F (Proxes T1R) are coming up to 9 years old. They have plenty of tread and no crazing evident. Although as far as I can establish, no age limit for the MOT has come in, having researched in various places it seems there is some limited consensus around 7 years being a safe maximum age for car tyres. (And 6 for caravans). This is due to the ageing process as discussed above, which leads to hardening of the compound and reduced levels of grip, and starts from the point of manufacture and not the time at which the tyre is fitted to a vehicle. In cars such as our which are likely to be driven enthusiastically, I would personally now be prepared to accept this maximum as being a sensible limit.
However, it also seems that the tyre industry in this country have, based on the advice of the German tyre association, (BRV) decided that a tyre up to five years from the date of manufacture can be retailed as brand new. Black circles make this clear on their website.
So we are left in the annoying position where we could conceivably purchase a tyre from Black Circles and find that it is five years old. We would have no ability to return the tyre on this basis. (I'm using Black Circles as an example to make the point, based on information on their website, but I don't doubt that a similar approach would be found to be adopted by other tyre retailers).
We would then have two years of remaining life if we follow the industry guidance, a situation which I feel is unacceptable.
Has anyone found a supplier who will guarantee to provide tyres with a recent manufacture date, or some other way around this problem? I'd be keen to find a solution before I take the risk of buying new tyres.
Michael

RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Post by RobboMC » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:50 am

No apology needed mate, you make some great points.

The method I use is to get my MG tyres from a small tyre fitting shop that does not carry stock ( not difficult down under and no-one carries stock for MGF tyre sizes ) and so forcing them to get the stock in from the warehouse.

You can't control how long the stock is in the warehouse, but hopefully it's only a few months old.

I do read the build date off my new tyres when they're fitted and usually find a few months of age which is annoying but unavoidable.

This is an important discussion to have for low mileage cars, perhaps get out and have more fun and wear out your tyres faster. :lol: :lol: :D :D

YMGF
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley

Post by YMGF » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:22 pm

That's the answer!! :D

Just as a further thought, I contacted a leading tyre fitting company in the UK (beginning with K). Their policy as stated on their website is that tyres policy should be regularly inspected from five years old due to the ageing process. Their policy is also that they can supply tyres up to five years old.

I emailed them to question this, asking if it is correct that they could supply five year old tyres, and the day after fitting, we should consider regular inspections due to the ageing process. The response? Yes, that is correct.

Perhaps something that should be made more clear and transparent in my opinion.

NigelOBB
MGF Register Region: North East

Post by NigelOBB » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:17 am

talkingcars wrote:
Plezier wrote:Well I had to use the spare on "Blue 33" as the N/S/R blew out on the way home from collecting her. Have an MOT booked for 10:00 am tomorrow so we shall see about tyres and whatever they have changed since last year.
I had an advisory last week on my ZS for tyre profiles as the front and rears are slightly different.
I bet they flag up the size difference on the F.
That’s ignorance on the testers side or he’s being a bit of a .......... . Rules are that the same size and profile must fitted to the same axle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:46 pm

NigelOBB wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:17 am
talkingcars wrote:
Plezier wrote:Well I had to use the spare on "Blue 33" as the N/S/R blew out on the way home from collecting her. Have an MOT booked for 10:00 am tomorrow so we shall see about tyres and whatever they have changed since last year.
I had an advisory last week on my ZS for tyre profiles as the front and rears are slightly different.
That’s ignorance on the testers side or he’s being a bit of a .......... . Rules are that the same size and profile must fitted to the same axle.
Gosh, that was 5 years ago.............
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

NigelOBB
MGF Register Region: North East

Post by NigelOBB » Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:06 pm

talkingcars wrote:
NigelOBB wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:17 am
talkingcars wrote: I had an advisory last week on my ZS for tyre profiles as the front and rears are slightly different.
Gosh, that was 5 years ago.............
Lol it pipes up in my feed Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk