ZR seats in a TF?

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
ajcarobson
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: TF LE500

ZR seats in a TF?

Post by ajcarobson » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:40 pm

I recently had a drive in a ZR and thought that the seats were better than my TFs in terms of side bolster support in both the squab and the backrest. I was wondering if any Register members had fitted ZR seats to their TFs and, if so, what advice they might care to offer. Thanks in advance.

jaydoginvasion
MGF Register Region: East Anglia

Re: ZR seats in a TF?

Post by jaydoginvasion » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:05 pm

I might have a pic of one, let me check.

jaydoginvasion

Post by jaydoginvasion » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:10 pm

It was rally ZR ones.

jaydoginvasion

Post by jaydoginvasion » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:10 pm

Look really nice though.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:08 am

Those are re-trimmed Sparcos or perhaps Cobra's I think - and I agree they do look great. I'm not sure whether anyone has attempted to put ZR seats in the MGF/TF. The main problem will be the dimensions - the cockpit is quite narrow (if you want to be able to still open the centre cubby boxes), and the height is an issue: the standard seats have a surprisingly low build height. You'd need to ensure that the seating position is no higher with the replacement seats, so look very carefully at the squab design and whether it can be grafted onto the MGF/TF seat fixing mounts.

Some dimensions relevant for aftermarket seats can be found here: http://mgf.ultimatemg.com/group2/DIY/in ... _seats.htm

Plezier
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF 75th

Post by Plezier » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:17 am

Have you considered velcro??

It would certainly stop you bum sliding about :P

ajcarobson
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: TF LE500

Post by ajcarobson » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:21 pm

Thanks to everyone for their replies so far (velcro - hmm....). I might have guessed Rob would have some ideas. If ZR seats won't bolt in directly, I guess an alternative could be a re-trim with enhanced support. I'll keep researching. Thanks again, guys.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:42 pm

Depends on your budget and what you want from the seats. The runners on the ZR will need modification to fit in an MGF/TF, but that is true of any non-MGF/TF seat! My personal preference is towards a Cobra seat - but Corbeau, Sparco, etc etc offer perfectly acceptable recliners. They're not cheap new (especially if you get them re-trimmed!), but you never know what crops up on ebay if you're lucky.

Other seats? I've heard of Audi and Mazda RX-7 seats being fitted (Allan, are you there? :)) - even seats from the Hyundai Coupe. Perhaps a trim down the scrap yard with a tape measure will reveal something to your liking?

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:44 pm

I'm sure any competent automotive trimmer will be able to fabricate that style of seat from the original then trim to suit. Much cheaper than buying new and much easier than trying to find something that fits :D
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:16 pm

I wouldn't recomend ZR seats in an F as they are wider and the frames are much higher.

Then you have the problem of the runners being different.

I would look at other MGF/TF seats, the alcantara are much more supportive and have deeper side bolsters than the standard fabric or leather versions, the same applies to the ZS and ZR.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Plezier
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF 75th

Post by Plezier » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:20 pm

ajcarobson wrote:Thanks to everyone for their replies so far (velcro - hmm....). I might have guessed Rob would have some ideas. If ZR seats won't bolt in directly, I guess an alternative could be a re-trim with enhanced support. I'll keep researching. Thanks again, guys.
:lol: Yep velcro ........................... a pad of it on the sqab and some on the seat of your pants/touser and you won't be slipping anywhere. When not needed a cloth pad velcroed over the seat squab :P .

I must admit to not noticing my bottom sliding about in the MGF's............................ may be my build of course as it fills the seat :oops: . The problem DD found with the RX8 seats was that they interfeared witht eh sealt belts run from the T-bar as i recall he mentioned. He has bought two new seats which he is having retrimmed to his specifications............................. unless his plans have changed that is what I read in one of his update posts.
Last edited by Plezier on Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:41 pm

IIRC Alan (aka DD) bought some aftermarket seats.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com