Which tyres to buy?

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Christhurso
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Which tyres to buy?

Post by Christhurso » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:45 pm

Hi all,

Hope your well.

I've been researching into what tyres to buy for the F to go on the rear (15 inch alloys).

I found a spreadsheet which had tests and reviews from F/TF owners on what tyres they found to be good/naff.

It's a little outdated, however did seem to like Toyos T1Rs.

By today's standards they don't seem to be top of the table, however for the same money they have Uniroyal Rain sport 3s (rated excellent in wet although allegedly sidewalls are a bit soft so may impact cornering), or the other is Vredestien Sportrac 5s (which are rated extremely well).

I was wondering if anyone had experience with any of these tyres, or would be able to advise on other potential tyres which have been highly rated?

Many thanks!

Neil Rushton
MGF Register Region: Lancashire
Model of Car: TF135

Re: Which tyres to buy?

Post by Neil Rushton » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:54 pm

I've always used Toyo T1Rs but always on TFs with 16" wheels, if you go for Toyos I've read that they are now manufactured in Malaysia not Japan & due to changes in compound they are not compatible so make sure you get 4 Jap or 4 Malayan produced tyres with XL rated for the rear of course.
Kawasaki KLX250
Skoda Citigo 75hp!!!
A share in an English Electric Lightning F6 fighter!!!!

fatbaldingoldgit
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MG TF LE500 #493

Post by fatbaldingoldgit » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:08 pm

Neil Rushton wrote:I've always used Toyo T1Rs but always on TFs with 16" wheels, if you go for Toyos I've read that they are now manufactured in Malaysia not Japan & due to changes in compound they are not compatible so make sure you get 4 Jap or 4 Malayan produced tyres with XL rated for the rear of course.
Mixing them is fine so long as the rears are Japanese.. :D
"You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons but at the very least you need a beer"
- Frank Zappa

malcolm64
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGF1.8i

Post by malcolm64 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:17 pm

Im getting to the stage where i need to replace all four on my F but was considering Falken ZE 912/4. Any advice would be gratefully received as I believe it's down to personal preference between Toyo and Falken.

fatbaldingoldgit

Post by fatbaldingoldgit » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:39 pm

Certainly simpler to get the Falkens...less faffing around ensuring that you get the right Toyo country of manufacture...they are officially recommended and a number of members have reported they are satisfied with Falkens...
"You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons but at the very least you need a beer"
- Frank Zappa

Christhurso

Post by Christhurso » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:50 pm

Cheers for the info!

Who would thought simply changing manufacturer locations would result in compatibility problems between axles.

How well do they handle with just 2 Toyo's on the back? There are nearly new vredesteins on the front (on when bought car) so wouldn't really want to take them off if it could be helped.

Cheers

fatbaldingoldgit

Post by fatbaldingoldgit » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:20 pm

I can't speak to that exact configuration but when I had new Toyos on the rear and old GSD2s on the front it was awful...always best to have the same all round but you may be lucky..the Vredesteins may play well with the Toyos but it's likely they may not IMO...
- Frank Zappa

malcolm64
Model of Car: MGF1.8i

Post by malcolm64 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:23 pm

Thanks for the advice on the tyres and i knkw its a personal choice but as you stated getting the right Toyo pairing may be made harder by a tyre supplier not bothering to check properly. I will probably go with Falkens.

Mykel
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Post by Mykel » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:59 pm

I’ve had the Falken 912 on the TF (in 16") for two years now, for me they are the perfect choice. Really good grip from the first mile, no problems in the wet. These are not available anymore, but I have been told (by a tyre fitter and fellow MGF owner) that the 914’s are even better.
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org

Pete & Lin
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: 2001 1.8i

Post by Pete & Lin » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:14 pm

Fitted Falken 912's to our 'F' (replacements for Toyo's) can't fault them, good in all weathers & excellent tyre wear.

As Mykel says they are no longer available, I now have 914's on the car & also on my son's TF 135 - highly recommend them.
MGF Register Regional Rep. for Devon & Cornwall

MGF MK2 1.8i - Old English White
MGZS SUV - Dynamic Red

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MGFDandC

Christhurso

Post by Christhurso » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:21 pm

Pete & Lin wrote:Fitted Falken 912's to our 'F' (replacements for Toyo's) can't fault them, good in all weathers & excellent tyre wear.

As Mykel says they are no longer available, I now have 914's on the car & also on my son's TF 135 - highly recommend them.
Do you think the falkens would be more forgiving when having different tyres fitted to the front?

Mykel
Regional Rep
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Post by Mykel » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:36 am

Christhurso wrote:Do you think the falkens would be more forgiving when having different tyres fitted to the front?
I wouldn’t dare to try, Chris. About two years ago, a friend bought a TF with 15" alloys and put some new tyres on the rear axle, correct size and pressure -- but not the same brand as on the front. Even in the dry this car was un-driveable at speeds above 50 mph. If I hadn’t tried it myself I wouldn’t have believed it. We took it out on some bendy country lanes on a dry day and that car was all over the place. We then swapped his wheels for mine and everything was fine.

If the Vredesteins on the front are still very good, just put them on the bay of e. 185/55R15 is a very common size for many older cars from the late nineties (Golf 3, Mercedes A class, Ford Fiesta, Astra F, Corsa C to name a few). Vredestein is a reputable brand, so they will be off your hands for at least the price of one of the new Falkens.
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:39 am

I went from Pirelli P6000's to Toyo T1R's and the car went from horrible to superb.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Christhurso

Post by Christhurso » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:23 am

Superb, many thanks for the advice!

I think I'll be ordering 4 matching asap.

I must admit I did think it was a bit poo doing emergency brakes in the wet (back end tried to go out when I tested the brakes even at 30mph); and that's with mixed tyres on the rear axle (again not my doing Lol).

I did think it handled quite well in the dry, now I can't wait to compare it to the a matching set!

The falkens I can get for the same price as I would Toyo's, and have better fuel and wet handling ratings on their standard tests, I'm surprised Toyo's don't rate so highly on those standard tests.

Neil Rushton
MGF Register Region: Lancashire
Model of Car: TF135

Post by Neil Rushton » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:38 am

After a rear GSD2 blew out I ran with Toyos on the rear GSD2s on the front for a year or so with no problems at all.
Kawasaki KLX250
Skoda Citigo 75hp!!!
A share in an English Electric Lightning F6 fighter!!!!

adrianclifford
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:31 pm

Malcolm, speak to Dave at X Spurt tyres, he's gives us great service and a group discount.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

Plezier
Model of Car: MGF 75th

Post by Plezier » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:38 pm

Well it looks like I will have to replace the Pirelli P6000's on the front of "Blue 33" soon. A worn drivers (O/S/F) lower ball joint has worn the inner edge ad that the date on the tyres is 2007 and well now have to find some new tryes for the Mk1 5 spoke VVC wheels she is wearing.

Now I have to smile at the posts of dangerous handling MGF's with mixed tyres as so far I have never driven one on matching tyres. "Blue 33" currently has the pair of P6000's on the front and a Nexan CP641 on the O/S/R and a Hankook Ventus Prime on the N/S/R. She was tramlining abit on the M25 but that is probably due to the worn ball joint. New one should be here Tuesday :thumbsu: . As the mismatched rears ahve in excess of 5mm tread depth they will remain.

As neither are XL rated have found that increasing the tyre pressue by 2lbs helps the cornering.