Super Unleaded?

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Mr Teddy Bear
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset

Super Unleaded?

Post by Mr Teddy Bear » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:16 pm

Sorry if I appear to be asking obveious questions, but I dont have a owners handbook.
Does the VVC like V Power etc, or will Unleaded do?
Cheers
Teddy Bear :thumbsu:

James Curgenven
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: MG ZT 260 SE #455

Re: Super Unleaded?

Post by James Curgenven » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:12 pm

Other than helping to keep the engine clean all V power does is lighten your wallet, normal 95 RON is it's usual tipple :)
---
Loud & Proud!

Scarlet Fever
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: 1996 MPi F

Post by Scarlet Fever » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:50 pm

Agreed, the 1.8 K series engine doesn't have a knock sensor so can't make use of the additional power the fuel can give. However there are some benefits to using Super occasionally as it does help to clean the engine.
Andrew Phillips

David Clelland
MGF Register Region: Scotland
Model of Car: 2001 MGF Steptronic

Post by David Clelland » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:56 pm

Andy,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does a knock sensor not just alter the timing to stop the engine pinking - if lower grade fuel is used. If higher grade fuel is used then even with a knock sensor the timing cannot be altered beyond that set on the engine's map. Either way higher grade fuel does not make any difference to an F or TF except for the cleaning properties mentioned above.

Debs
MGF Register Region: East Anglia
Model of Car: MGTF 275
Location: Cambs and Hants, and regularly driving between. Not to mention all the Race Meetings...

Post by Debs » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:01 pm

Scarlet Fever wrote:Agreed, the 1.8 K series engine doesn't have a knock sensor so can't make use of the additional power the fuel can give.
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!

Yet again the myth surrounding knock sensors and high octane fuels is repeated!

Whether a knock sensor is fitted is irrelevant and is a myth that gets posted around on a regular basis. A knock sensor senses knock (detonation) and signals the ECU to retard the ignition during periods of detonation (such as when running on too low an Octane fuel). When the detonation stops the ECU will advance the ignition back to factory setting. The system will not advance past its mapped setting. Thus if you are mapped for 95RON you cannot take advantage of higher octane fuels whether you have a knock sensor or not.

For further information, see:

http://mgfregister.org/forum/viewtopic. ... b90#p15498
NOSCAR driver (Nitrous Injected TF160)
13.851secs @ 106.71mph Standing Quarter

Priestess Race Engines: pr.engines@tiscali.co.uk

Scarlet Fever
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: 1996 MPi F

Post by Scarlet Fever » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:52 pm

Well, you learn something new every day as the saying goes, and i've learned something today. Excellent posting Debs, really first class.

"I promise not to repeat the myth any more" :)
Andrew Phillips