Will using higher RON or Super Unleaded fuel help my car?

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Camarillo Brillo
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF Abingdon 1.8 MPI

Re: Will using higher RON or Super Unleaded fuel help my car?

Post by Camarillo Brillo » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:35 pm

But I can still use super unleaded if I want - it won't cause any harm - will it?

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:19 pm

It won't do any harm.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Camarillo Brillo

Post by Camarillo Brillo » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:36 pm

So, I will need to fill up within the next month - do I go for BP Ultimate or Shell V Power nitro +

Or something else....

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:01 pm

Either, try Tesco Momentum 99, it's cheaper. I'm happy with it.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

Camarillo Brillo

Post by Camarillo Brillo » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:27 pm

Sadly, the nearest Tesco PFS is not near to me...!

Sainsburys? Asda?

talkingcars

Post by talkingcars » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:11 pm

Camarillo Brillo wrote:So, I will need to fill up within the next month....
So you don't do many miles - I'd go for the highest octane fuel you can get so it's still usable as you get to the bottom of the tank.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

Camarillo Brillo

Post by Camarillo Brillo » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:25 pm

talkingcars wrote:
Camarillo Brillo wrote:So, I will need to fill up within the next month....
So you don't do many miles - I'd go for the highest octane fuel you can get so it's still usable as you get to the bottom of the tank.
Thanks - it's a fine weather/weekend car.

What would you recommend as the 'best' for my needs?

scimitargtc
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire

Post by scimitargtc » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:10 pm

I've used BP and Shell and supermarket 'extra' fuels both petrol and diesel (the latter not in Madge, of course!!!!!!) and whilst the stuff comes out of the same relative holes in the ground I'd expect experts explain that relative oil viscosity, air pressure, locality, etc etc etc all make a difference albeit minuscule for engines designed to work worldwide. BUT for a personally owned car my personal pref is to use BP premium (or whatever they now call it) gives ME better pickup, better MPG (which TBH with low miles per annum are/should we be really 'bothered') with the cost differential making it a nil cost comparison... so my suggestion is trial different fuels to find what works 'best' for your car,,,, it'll take a few tankfuls to average out (now that is a reason to go for extended drives!)

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:23 am

Our eldest son delivers fuel for Hoyer, you may see their tankers all over Europe. Their contract is for Esso, BP and Shell.

The premium fuels are all different, they don't all come out of the same pipe at the refinery (Purfleet in Essex).

As far as diesel is concerned he tells me Esso is the clearest.

But, as it's been said, try a few and see what you think.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

Camarillo Brillo

Post by Camarillo Brillo » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:54 pm

and unleaded Adrian....?

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:04 pm

All look the same when he's loading but they come from seperate tanks, they are not all the same as some may believe.

Andrew Regens
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: TF160LE80th #15/1600

Post by Andrew Regens » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:23 am

I use super Shell, two reasons the first the petrol station is only 250 Metres from home and our premium is only 94Ron.
Piper 4-2-1 Manifold, Daytona Back Box, Stage two Remap, Bilstein Shocks, thicker anti roll bars, PG 1 gearbox Caged bearing with type B Ltd Slip Diff. Large rear brake Kit, Toyo R888R Track/road tyres. Half Roll Cage, 4Point Harness.

ErikB
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF PTP RT-Sport 165

Post by ErikB » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:44 pm

Such an old thread, but something has changed or is changing at the moment, which might change the answer on the initial question.
I haven't checked other countries, but Belgium has introduced (or better switched over to) E10 fuel... so fuel with 10% ethanol. Since January 1st 2017 it is the standard and has replaced every RON95 fuel. If you don't want to fill up with E10, you need to use RON98.
Several sites mention that the K-series (and auxiliaries) isn't suited to use E10, so at least in Belgium you'd better fill up with the more expensive RON98.

colintf
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MG PA TF160 ZTV8

Post by colintf » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:53 pm

ErikB wrote:Such an old thread, but something has changed or is changing at the moment, which might change the answer on the initial question.
I haven't checked other countries, but Belgium has introduced (or better switched over to) E10 fuel... so fuel with 10% ethanol. Since January 1st 2017 it is the standard and has replaced every RON95 fuel. If you don't want to fill up with E10, you need to use RON98.
Several sites mention that the K-series (and auxiliaries) isn't suited to use E10, so at least in Belgium you'd better fill up with the more expensive RON98.
Thankyou for the advice and information Erik :thumbsu:

Colin Murrell
MGF Register International Liaison Rep
MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions
MGCC Z and V8 Registers Reps for V8 ZT'/ZTTs

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm http://www.triple-mracing.com/

talkingcars

Post by talkingcars » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:24 pm

Thanks Erik, that has been the case in France for several years so I stick to "super" when your side of the channel, regardless to country.

I haven't noticed any improvement in running or fuel consumption over the several thousand miles we do every year on the wrong side of the road.

mowog73
MGF Register Region: Canada

Post by mowog73 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:28 pm

My 1995 MGF has been on an E-10 diet (using RON 93 fuel) since June, 2011, which is when I started driving the F here in Canada. In the past 5+ years and around 44,000 miles, I have noticed no issues with driveability or fuel hose failure due to the K-series engine and it's fuel system being exposed to in excess of 1,000 gallons of E-10 petrol.
Mark

Reckless Rat
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Post by Reckless Rat » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:29 pm

Normal 95 octane unleaded (SP95) is still available in France, generally at Supermarket outlets - on the motorway networks it's generally only E-10 95 that's available, so use 'super' SP98

Just be aware that normal unleaded in France (SP95) can contain up to 5% ethanol.

Debs
MGF Register Region: East Anglia
Model of Car: MGTF 275
Location: Cambs and Hants, and regularly driving between. Not to mention all the Race Meetings...

Post by Debs » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:30 pm

ErikB wrote: Several sites mention that the K-series (and auxiliaries) isn't suited to use E10, so at least in Belgium you'd better fill up with the more expensive RON98.
I'm sorry but that's just wrong.

The RON is a marker of the level of Detonation resistance of the fuel. If E10 is RON 95 then it's perfectly fine.

The idea that E10 fuel causes problems comes from the Classic Car sites - E10 is a 10% Ethanol based fuel. Ethanol in fuels can cause problems with seals in older (carburettored) cars and with reactions to the older aluminium alloy fuel lines or aluminium alloy carburettor float chambers.

98 RON fuel is, guess what, a high Ethanol concentration fuel - that's how you get the high Octane Number these days without using Tetra-Ethyl Lead or Benzine.

I've been using Ethanol enhanced 98 RON in the NOSCAR for the last 10 years with no ill effect.
NOSCAR driver (Nitrous Injected TF160)
13.851secs @ 106.71mph Standing Quarter

Priestess Race Engines: pr.engines@tiscali.co.uk

talkingcars

Post by talkingcars » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:14 pm

What sort of mileage are you doing in the NOSCAR?

My personal experience over several thousand miles in Europe, mostly France, using 95RON E10, says that the mk1 MGF does not like such fuel, having completed several similar trips since using 98RON E5 suggests the car is happier with this.

James

ErikB
Regional Rep
Model of Car: MGF PTP RT-Sport 165

Post by ErikB » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:31 pm

Debs wrote:
ErikB wrote: Several sites mention that the K-series (and auxiliaries) isn't suited to use E10, so at least in Belgium you'd better fill up with the more expensive RON98.
I'm sorry but that's just wrong.

....The RON is a marker of the level of Detonation resistance of the fuel. If E10 is RON 95 then it's perfectly fine.

The idea that E10 fuel causes problems comes from the Classic Car sites - E10 is a 10% Ethanol based fuel. Ethanol in fuels can cause problems with seals in older (carburettored) cars and with reactions to the older aluminium alloy fuel lines or aluminium alloy carburettor float chambers.
The advise to use regular 98 instead of the 95 (now all E10 95) is not coming from me, but from websites that should know and checked their stuff. MG, rover, Lotus, Land Rover ... some cross checks make sense.
Debs wrote: 98 RON fuel is, guess what, a high Ethanol concentration fuel - that's how you get the high Octane Number these days without using Tetra-Ethyl Lead or Benzine.
Like any other (except E10) it'll be up to 5% ethanol ... not 10% or more. Just like there is a rule that E10 can contain up to 10% (at least valid in Belgium and probably a good part of Europe).