Will using higher RON or Super Unleaded fuel help my car?

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
hilly
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: Aug 96 MGF VVC Mk1

Re: Will using higher RON or Super Unleaded fuel help my car?

Post by hilly » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:43 am

Shame its Ethenol...... and not Methanol.......... mmmmmmmmmmmmm Make my car smell like a Speedway bike!

Have slip a couple of caps of Castrol R40 in the tank instead ;-)
Why do I always get out of my 'F' with a smile on my face ! ;-)

Larry Nicoll
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MG TF

Post by Larry Nicoll » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:30 pm

I had my 135 TF remapped and the advice was to use the higher octane if the car is driven hard.
MGTF : 2005; 15" wheels; 280mm discs all round; servo brace; Mike Satur gear change; Mike Satur 4:2:1 manifold; sports cat; Daytona silencer; KMaps remap

AK5 81
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire

Post by AK5 81 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:12 am

Likewise ^
I had my trophy mapped and was told to use high octane , my reply was “ I use it anyway” lol

zaph2
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire

Post by zaph2 » Mon May 11, 2020 11:28 am

I see that we have a few posters ignoring the initial post and claiming that there car feels better with the higher octane fuel, so they will continue to use it.

Well lets put that to the test. Run the car till it is low on fuel and then get a friend to fill it up for you. They will randomly pick normal or higher octane fuel. You then have to workout which fuel it is, a blind trial.

We will have to do this multiple time, with multiple cars to get the result but I bet it will average out to drivers being right 50% of the time. No better than guess work.

Simple rule for any tuning mod, unless it is tested on a properly calibrated rolling road, there is noway to know if it has worked.

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Wed May 13, 2020 11:09 pm

With the recent drop in petrol prices I am mixing it up.
I paid 99.9p per litre today for 95ron.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Bazzajay
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: Wedgwood SE 1800i

Post by Bazzajay » Thu May 14, 2020 1:02 am

I run two 'hobby' cars, the Wedgwood SE MGF, and the S Type Jaguar, 4ltr V8. The MG has the 1.8 MPI engine, which I run on Standard Unleaded. It runs smoothly and responds well, so I can't see any reason to change. However, I run the Jaguar on Super Unleaded, the engine is smoother, more responsive and more economical than it was when I ran it on Standard Unleaded. I changed when my local petrol station started selling Super Unleaded a few months ago. I live on the Isle of Wight, where petrol stations are few and far between, and the nearest ones to me are Supermarket run.
Barrie

2000 MGF Wedgwood SE 1800i
2002 Peugeot Partner Quiksilver

RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Post by RobboMC » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:35 am

So in normal driving with the roof down or back window unzipped I can smell that my F has a different odour to my Holden that runs 95 Octane exclusively.

I run the F almost exclusively on 98 Octane fuel as I don't use the car a lot.

Could the 98 Octane fuel be creating the different smell?

Crash Dummy
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia

Post by Crash Dummy » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:02 am

I remember getting half a tank for £1 ($2 Australian) in a 1965 Holden.