Satur Slick Shift??

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
c13amb
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF 135

Satur Slick Shift??

Post by c13amb » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:14 pm

Got myself booked in at Mike Satur on the 7th April to have his mark iv Slickshift fitted to my TF.Just wanted to know if anyone has one?do you rate it?in general your thoughts about it!
Cheers all !!
My cars..MY04 '54 MGTF135 in Yas Marina Blue!!!

MY13'63 AUDI Q7 S-LINE 3Ltr. In ibis white!!!

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Re: Satur Slick Shift??

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:18 pm

They are generally very well regarded - you'll certainly notice quite a change in the gear shift quality: it becomes nicely mechanical - look forward to hearing your thoughts though! The design has evolved and improved over the years :)

c13amb

Post by c13amb » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:11 pm

Cheers Rob,your thoughts are very much appreciated with your wealth of experiance.Have you driven many of these "slickshifts" yourself?
Anyone using one on their car? more thoughts/opinions if anyone has any!!

fatbaldingoldgit
Model of Car: MG TF LE500 #493

Post by fatbaldingoldgit » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:25 pm

A vast improvement over my original LE500 shift..you may decide to cut an inch or so off the stick though to improve it still further...works better than fine...more like a flex of the wrist type change rather than the whole arm movement...and feels much more precise...one of the must have improvements IMO... :-)
"You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons but at the very least you need a beer"
- Frank Zappa

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:05 am

I had the Mk4 on the F, but that was over 6 years ago, it was fine, much better than before as you would expect. I too had a shorter lever, that helped the feel too. You get the added benefit of his excellent rose joints which are far more reliable.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

fatbaldingoldgit

Post by fatbaldingoldgit » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:40 am

You do need to Loctite the rose joints though....don't want them working lose!....
"You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons but at the very least you need a beer"
- Frank Zappa

c13amb

Post by c13amb » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:00 pm

I hope Mr Satur will glue it all together...im going to his base so he can fit it.If he cant fit it right no one can!! Plus you get the lifetime guarantee on parts too!!

cavaddict
MGF Register Region: Elsewhere

Post by cavaddict » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:19 pm

Hmmmm might have to fit mine.....has been sat in the garage on a shelf for 2 years lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:26 pm

cavaddict wrote:Hmmmm might have to fit mine.....has been sat in the garage on a shelf for 2 years lol.
You know it makes sense Steve ;)

c13amb

Post by c13amb » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:32 pm

Further to the reduction in lever length to lessen the throw...have contacted Mike Satur and he assures me that the assembley is at its optimum and with a "shortened" lever!!

fatbaldingoldgit

Post by fatbaldingoldgit » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:33 pm

Well fortunately it's a matter of opinion...try it as is and make your own mind up...coz it's easy to shorten it yourself...
- Frank Zappa

c13amb

Post by c13amb » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:43 am

Yep ill have to suck it and see...they are his words afterall,and what suits him may not be my ideal!! Time will tell,but aslong as it improves the feel of engaging gears then im happy!!! ;)

jonbaker

Post by jonbaker » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:27 am

I had an ssk4 fitted at Mike's. Rose joint snapped. New one refitted by MG dealer. Had another snap refitted by local garage. After last snap did it myself.

c13amb

Post by c13amb » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:42 pm

jonbaker wrote:I had an ssk4 fitted at Mike's. Rose joint snapped. New one refitted by MG dealer. Had another snap refitted by local garage. After last snap did it myself.
After the experiance i had on the way home...and the cost to put it right after fitting this doesnt fill me with confidence m8!!!

Helsbyman
Model of Car: MGTF V V C

Post by Helsbyman » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:54 pm

Did not think TFs need this mod as it feels ok to me on my 2004 TF
Bilstein dampers, 4-2-1 manifold, Head work by Sabre,stainless steel under floor pipes, MGMAINA moded alternator bracket,silicon hoses, Torque tamer, JAYLAD servo bracket, Pro race 1.2 wheels
PETROL BY SHELL :D

c13amb

Post by c13amb » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:58 pm

Helsbyman wrote:Did not think TFs need this mod as it feels ok to me on my 2004 TF

Having driven my 54 plate TF before and after there is a definate improvement in shift distance and feel.
I would recommend it,if you are handy with a spanner id fit it yourself at your convieniance.I waited 6 hours at Saturs,no cups of tea,biscuits or even a waiting room.Definately a home job if you can!!

diesel destroyer
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley
Model of Car: MGF GT

Post by diesel destroyer » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:16 am

I have one.. And made a few tweaks to it..

When selecting first the alloy block hits the bolt head.. So put a radius on one side of the bolt head

I also shimmed up the pivot points..

But as above.. Way way better than the 'spoon in a bowl' standard kit

Plezier
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF 75th

Post by Plezier » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:45 am

This always puzzles me as the gear changes on both "Blue" and "Elsie" is good. "Elsie's" is perhaps a bit more positive as she it seems has a Satur bell crank fitted. Now her original gear change was dreadful but I nicked the change mech out of the Donor VVC (1999) and fitted that and tightened it up in the process and it's not very positive.

"Blue's" is standard but is no way sloppy.

Helsbyman
Model of Car: MGTF V V C

Post by Helsbyman » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:21 am

HI c13amb I will have to have a go in yours some day to see the difference as I am just down the road from you. perhaps see you at next N/W meet at the hinderton arms, Neston 4th Friday of the month
Bilstein dampers, 4-2-1 manifold, Head work by Sabre,stainless steel under floor pipes, MGMAINA moded alternator bracket,silicon hoses, Torque tamer, JAYLAD servo bracket, Pro race 1.2 wheels
PETROL BY SHELL :D

c13amb

Post by c13amb » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:39 am

If i can make it your more than welcome...normally my shifts fall wrong so i cant go :(