Compliance Washers or Poly bushes

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Phil_B
MGF Register Region: East Midlands
Model of Car: Fixie & MGF VVC

Compliance Washers or Poly bushes

Post by Phil_B » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:05 am

Hi Folks,

I'm in the process of sorting out the handling on the F. Have finally lowered it, fitted adjustable shocks and had the spheres re-charged. Am now looking at the tie bar before I take her off for a 4 wheel alignment.

What are peoples thoughts on the better option, compliance washers or poly bushes? There is a price difference but the poly bushes are still quite reasonable at ~£30 so I'm happy to pay that. Given that the car is 15 years old now would it just make most sense to replace the old bushes with Poly and have done with it?

Thanks in advance

Phil
Phil Brindley

Plezier
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF 75th

Re: Compliance Washers or Poly bushes

Post by Plezier » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:53 pm

Actually I found the Polybushes to be cheaper than the std Rover bushes. Replaced all the bushes on the lower arms on "Elsie" for the MOT last September.

One thing to remember though is the sub frame end is an eye bush and I beleive there is only one source of replacements for this which is a poly type bush from Duraflex

diesel destroyer
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley
Model of Car: MGF GT

Post by diesel destroyer » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:08 am

How far in 'sorting the handling' do you want to go?

Solid subframe mounts all round
Polybush the entire car (front subframe will require lowering to do wish bones)
Fit new TREs and ball joints
Fit the 3 bar TF brace kit
Replace needle bearings in all 4 top arms
Replace all bolts on suspension components to ensure there are no wear/play on them

That'll sharpen the handling up..

Then of course you can still do:

Drop links replaced with Rose joints
Anti roll bars replaced with thicker bars
Top shock mounts braced/strengthened

Phil_B

Post by Phil_B » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:48 am

Over time I guess I will do most or all of the above Alan, and whenever I replace something I do tend to replace the bolts etc. But for now it's just the tie bar bushes.; -)
Phil Brindley

Plezier

Post by Plezier » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:39 am

Now I have not driven the 75th as yet but all except teh ARM bushes have been replaced with Polyurethene from Duraflex due to the cost. The complete rear set was far less than from anywhere else and costs have become an issue with this restoration due to it needing far more then originally thought or suspected. The level of neglect is staggering :o .

Now this is the eye bush on the compliance tie bar:-

When undoing the nut the bar was twisting rather a lot so the rubber was very soft. This is the Duraflex bushes fitted:-

When doing up the nut the tie bar does not twist sideways at all now far more supported :thumbsu: which I am assuming is good.

When ordering I chose stainless inserts and this it seems caused aissue with my order. It also seems that their machinist is frightened of machining stainless and or does not know how to mcahine it.

Very poor finish due to poorly sharpened and set tooling :roll:

The compliance bushes them selves require a lot of compression by tightening the nut however the bushes are quite easy to fit unlike Polybushes which I had fitted to "Elsie's" lower arm.

The ARB bushes seem too small and are not split ............................. when queried the chap said that people like to split their own :shutup: :roll: :-

Plus need a lot of moulding flash trimmed off so in all honesty I cannot say that I am impressed witht eh Duraflex bushes and have told them so. In their defence they did offer a full refund however time is now a factor and we need this 75th done as there are other cars awaiting maintenance. My order took 8 days to arrive so allow a lot more time than their web site says. This of course may not be typical but it has been my experience in buying from them.

It will be interesting to see how they feel on the road and how well they last.

Phil_B

Post by Phil_B » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:45 pm

Thanks Plezier, what a fab reply :thumbsu:

Was thinking about just biting the bullet and getting this kit from Rimmers...

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-RGB100540PK

...which looks like it covers both ends of the tie bar.

If I'm gonna be undoing all of this I might as well replace the lot at the same time.
Phil Brindley

Plezier

Post by Plezier » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:22 pm

Be aware that getting the original bush out of the Eye end is a bit of a mare ................ :thumbsd: the only way i could get the steel outer out is spliting it in two places with a hack saw. I sheared the rubber out of the middle using two sockets and a 6" bench vice. From my experience of fitting the Polybushes to "Elsie" I have this feeling that pressing that eye bush in is going to be real fun.

Plezier

Post by Plezier » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:00 pm

Ahhh Superflex also offer the eye bush it seems things are improving on the supply side it seems.