Hard to select any gear at first

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Plezier
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF 75th

Hard to select any gear at first

Post by Plezier » Sun May 17, 2015 10:55 am

The 75th has this issue that it baulks on selcting 1st or any gear really when first started. I am rather hopig it's a lack of use issue but this is the first time that i ahve come across this issue. once runnign and a gear selected the box works fine no nasty noises. Have to admit that we have not checked the oil level as yet and that is on the to do list. I have a litre of the correct oil the problem is gettign her level to check it.

The clutch release arm was seized but is not free and the clutch operates smoothly and lightly I swapped out the slave cylinder and she has new fluid in the system. It's just shut her down and restart and we have this baulkign at going in problem :?

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Re: Hard to select any gear at first

Post by talkingcars » Sun May 17, 2015 9:14 pm

With the level of work you are doing I would have thought a complete oil change wouldn't be excesive.

And I bet when you drain the treacle out it will only be half the volume it should be.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Plezier

Post by Plezier » Sun May 17, 2015 9:52 pm

Firstly let's check the level of the oil and check for leaks. As I had to rebuild the gear shift mechanism to get rid of the dreaful porridge stirring sensation when gear changing I did wonder if the cable adjustment was really poor however it goes into reverse well.

Was just wondering if this baukling was a sign of other problems????

RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Post by RobboMC » Mon May 18, 2015 1:28 am

I would drain the existing oil into a CLEAN dish. Why waste good new oil topping up if what's in there now is treacle?

If what comes out is good, re use it and fill, otherwise chuck it and fill with new.

Always remember that when you run the engine to ''warm it up' from a cold start you are still left with cold gearbox oil.
A few of my previous cars did not like cold gearbox oil.

Plezier

Post by Plezier » Mon May 18, 2015 10:20 am

Well it's Monday Morn here, 10:19 actually, so have to sort out collection from the garage. Looks like we may have to take out an insurance policy for her :roll: the idea was to swap "Blue's" over once she is sold but as we need to be to take people out on test drives :roll: ....................................................... Will phone the broker and see what they can do. Best have quoted £111 on thier club Abingdon Policy. Also checked out soem short term policies but it's just daft what they are asking £80 for 7 days cover :o or £31 for a days cover....................... Otherwise it's wait until the chap up the road is free to collect her.

As I have not obviously driven her on the road properly I simply don't know who good the change is once warmed up only having been moving her on our property and of course it's raining today ..................... very wet outside. OK the garden needs it but I don't as I cannot work under her in the wet and mud that comes up through the stone and shingle on the drive :rant: .

Edit:- Have just priced up 5 ltr of MTF 94 oil as bearign in mind the bodges and lack of care in the past on her am now wonderign if she has the correct oil in her box???? :? .

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon May 18, 2015 2:20 pm

More likely the oil has never been touched... or even checked!!! As James says, you might find that there is next to no oil in there at all!

The other issue is adjustment of the gear selector cables, and the condition of the gear change mechanism itself - but I think you've looked at the latter already haven't you?

stevolew
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by stevolew » Mon May 18, 2015 4:57 pm

Had a similar problem on a different car many years ago that turned out to be a build up of dust,bit of rust and general crap on the splines where the friction plate moves, if the car was started in gear when cold it was all good as once warm there were no problems.

Plezier

Post by Plezier » Mon May 18, 2015 8:27 pm

Rob Bell wrote:More likely the oil has never been touched... or even checked!!! As James says, you might find that there is next to no oil in there at all!

The other issue is adjustment of the gear selector cables, and the condition of the gear change mechanism itself - but I think you've looked at the latter already haven't you?

Yes Rob have rebuilt the gear stick mechanism and had to adjust the cables and fit one new rubber boot. The odd thing is that reverse is almost easy to engage. Now I drove her home first time on the road from the garage and the gear change is sort of freeing up. She has not exactly done a lot of miles at 65,500 so will have to get her up as level as I can and undo the level plug and see what the oil level is. I think I will order 5l of MTF 94 and do a change for peace of mind. Will keep you all informed on what I find.