5AS tool progress and Pektron wanted.

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
pscan.eu
MGF Register Region: South East

5AS tool progress and Pektron wanted.

Post by pscan.eu » Sun May 31, 2015 6:30 pm

First, a shameless plug for the pscan.eu diagnostic tool: we have now released 5AS code for the tool so that people can read and write EMS, read EKA and code in immobiliser fobs 8-)

5AS live data will be available soon.

People are now asking about Pektron. Does anyone have a spare Pektron ECU lying around that they would like to lend or donate?

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Re: 5AS tool progress and Pektron wanted.

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:13 pm

Great - I'll get on and update my firm ware :D

Sadly no Pektrons on my car - although the in-laws have a now rather scabby looking Mk2 ZS120 with the Pektron BCU...

May be worth chatting to Paul (technozen) - he really knows these systems back to front. He is also able to code/programme the BCU, although I doubt that he'll want to give that facility away! :lol:

pscan.eu

Post by pscan.eu » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:19 pm

The protocol for engine ECU to "learn" the 5AS, and to report on the status of the 5AS looks simple too, at least for the MEMS1.6, 1.9, 2J and 3.
Rob I know that you wanted to try a non 5AS MEMS3 on a 5AS. Soon you will be able to wire one up to 5AS and try it and the tool will tell you whether it works or not.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:57 pm

The turbo MEMS3 I had was originally from a Rover 75, so I suspect that it will need re-writing to accept the 5AS code - as the immobiliser system on these cars appears to be somewhat more sophisticated than other Rovers (although whether all the light switch/ instrument pack coding impacts upon the ECU I am not sure - will have to look that up...). Hopefully I am wrong!

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:52 pm

Great news Phil, I can now sort out the 2nd fob for the F and a master emergency fob for all the 5AS cars.

Sorry, I can't lend you the Pektron unit from my mk2 ZS as it is a daily driver but I guess I may be able to pop up at some point so you can test it (and I can collet the 2 ECUs). I could combine it with a visit to my dad in Milton Keynes.

James
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

pscan.eu

Post by pscan.eu » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:57 pm

talkingcars wrote:Great news Phil, I can now sort out the 2nd fob for the F and a master emergency fob for all the 5AS cars.

Sorry, I can't lend you the Pektron unit from my mk2 ZS as it is a daily driver but I guess I may be able to pop up at some point so you can test it (and I can collet the 2 ECUs). I could combine it with a visit to my dad in Milton Keynes.

James
Any chance that you can make a youtube video of the process of adding keys?

I have a customer asking for a tutorial here http://rovertech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=144&t=149644

pscan.eu

Post by pscan.eu » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:08 pm

Also you don't have to visit to get your two ECUs back. I can post them. That said, to get your pektron car on a T4 it would have to be in Milton Keynes anyway because that is where I can get access to a tame T4 owner.

talkingcars

Post by talkingcars » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:13 pm

It would have to be a weekend, ideally a Saturday close to the 12th of July if that is any good.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

Kameleon

Post by Kameleon » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:19 pm

Not sure if the location suits you Mr. Pscan.eu however my Pektron 05 TF is garaged up at the in-laws in Kingswood, Surrey, minus it's front subframe having all manner of new parts / upgrades added to it. You're welcome in the garage any time for as long as you need to work stuff out; unfortunately it also means that it can't be moved so I presume would require a T4 laptop :(

technozen

Post by technozen » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:22 pm

Phil, if you need a loan SCU send me a PM.

pscan.eu

Post by pscan.eu » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:17 pm

This week we released an update with some more functionality.

The pscan.eu unit can now do the following:-
Read EKA
Read and write EMS
View live data inputs (things like door switches)

With the MEMS1.6 / 1.9 / 2J and MEMS3 you can also now put these ECUs into learning mode that the engine ECU can be matched to a different 5AS.

In theory if you have multiple cars you could set them to all the same EMS, and then learn this EMS on all the engine ECUs and you would then be able to swap ECUs between cars without reprogramming each time.

We have not actually tested this learning mode on a car, just on the test bench, so I would advise folks to use it with caution until we have had some feedback to verify that it works well. If people have spare ECUs it would be worth fitting to the car and attempting to learn the 5AS EMS code as nothing is lost if it doesn't work. If you have a car that already works and it's your daily driver I wouldn't mess with it if I were you.

Screenshots and more info here http://www.pscan.eu/features/5as.html

talkingcars

Post by talkingcars » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:45 pm

talkingcars wrote:It would have to be a weekend, ideally a Saturday close to the 12th of July if that is any good.
Sorry Phil, this isn't going to happen this month with work and family commitments.
If you could post my ECU's back that would be good.

James

fatbaldingoldgit
Model of Car: MG TF LE500 #493

Post by fatbaldingoldgit » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:32 pm

Just a quick plea, Philip, not to forget the service indicator reset facility for those of us with more modern TFs..I know it's not easy but....

.../David
"You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons but at the very least you need a beer"
- Frank Zappa

pscan.eu

Post by pscan.eu » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:49 pm

talkingcars wrote:
talkingcars wrote:It would have to be a weekend, ideally a Saturday close to the 12th of July if that is any good.
Sorry Phil, this isn't going to happen this month with work and family commitments.
If you could post my ECU's back that would be good.

James
I will get them in the post this week. Thanks for lending them, it has been incredibly useful.
fatbaldingoldgit wrote:Just a quick plea, Philip, not to forget the service indicator reset facility for those of us with more modern TFs..I know it's not easy but....

.../David
Plan A failed. Plan B failed. I have to try plan C next. I haven't given up.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:29 am

I really need to spend some time and show the features on here in the same way I did with the T300+ - the ability to recode the 5AS to suit any ECU is unique and incredibly useful! :D

pscan.eu

Post by pscan.eu » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:10 pm

I had the following nice feedback from a customer on our support forum:-
http://rovertech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=144&t=149765 wrote:I have tried the "immobiliser learn" on 11 different ECU's (mixture of MEMS 1.9, 2J and 3) without any issues.
Rob, I think that you should hook up that MEMS3 that you have off of a 75 to your car and see if it will learn the 5AS. You will only need 0V, 12V, K line and the serial line to the 5AS to test it.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:45 pm

Good idea Phil... worth a shot! :)

technozen

Post by technozen » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:14 pm

The EWS immobiliser data stream on the 75/ZT is totally different to the relatively simple stream from the 5AS (or 10AS, 27VT or Pektron SCU which are the same), the EWS enabled MEMS3 ECU won't learn the 16 bit 5AS code.

talkingcars

Post by talkingcars » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:24 pm

Is it possible to switch off EWS.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:56 pm

I'm hoping that Mark at Z&F can reprogram to accept 5AS - but someone was offering on eBay a remap suitable for converting the ECU for use in ZR's etc. so presumably it is possible to switch off the EWS?