Rear bulb upgrade??

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
c13amb
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF 135

Rear bulb upgrade??

Post by c13amb » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:48 pm

Hi all..looking to upgrade the rear bulbs on my TF and was wondering what other people are using...any links would be useful too.
Im changing over to tinted rear lenses soon the type that B&G sell..so there quite dark.It was suggested to put brighter bulbs in because of the weather and the time of year..thanks in advance.
My cars..MY04 '54 MGTF135 in Yas Marina Blue!!!

MY13'63 AUDI Q7 S-LINE 3Ltr. In ibis white!!!

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Re: Rear bulb upgrade??

Post by talkingcars » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:50 pm

Regular or LED?
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

c13amb

Post by c13amb » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:23 pm

talkingcars wrote:Regular or LED?
possibly LED as i believe its a better,brighter light for less power! But it could come down to just a more powerful light in the end so would appreciate any better options!!

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:15 am

If I'm correct, from many years ago when I sat the DoT inspectors course for work, the maximum wattage on tail lights should not exceed 10w (2 X 5 ). The same rule for tail lights too but 42w (2 X 21 ). In those days 3rd or high level brake lights didn't exist and no you didn't need a man walking in front with a red flag, I'm not quite that ancient :lol:

I had the B&G black set on the F, I loved them and kept standard bulbs so why don't you look at them on your car in the dark and then make your decision.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

fatbaldingoldgit
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MG TF LE500 #493

Post by fatbaldingoldgit » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:54 am

"You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons but at the very least you need a beer"
- Frank Zappa

c13amb

Post by c13amb » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:32 pm

Thanks for the link... :thumbsu:

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:32 pm

I took this in 2008 of Pascal's car in Luxembourg, it will give you an idea of what led's look like, initially they were so bright he removed some.

Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.