Steering fault light

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Nickxk150
MGF Register Region: Hertfordshire

Steering fault light

Post by Nickxk150 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:50 pm

Hi all ,my name is Nick and was wondering if someone can help me,I have used the power steering set up on a classic car with the help of some friends.
When I start the car the steering goes to the left which I know this can be adjusted but the fault light is on so have I got an electrical problem also or does the light come on with the steering pulling one way or another.
Regards

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Re: Steering fault light

Post by talkingcars » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:22 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum

The pulling to the left doesn't register as a fault.
What are you using for a speed signal?

A guide to curing the pulling left - http://www.the-t-bar.com/21-david-aiket ... to-cure-it

James
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Nickxk150

Post by Nickxk150 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:48 am

James many thanks for getting back to me, I've tapped and drilled the angle speed drive then added an extension that turn in sequence to the speedo ,my friend made a mini interface that reads the signal.
I don't how to post a picture but I will try to adjust the pulling and report back.
Nick

talkingcars

Post by talkingcars » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:55 pm

Nick - I don't suppose you could share details of the interface. James
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

Nickxk150

Post by Nickxk150 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:23 pm

James what is it you need to know,I'm sure I can get the info for you ,I've adjusted the steering so it doesn't pull to the left on start up but the fault light is still on,can someone confirm that the fault light switch is earthed via the ecu.
Nick

talkingcars

Post by talkingcars » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:20 pm

Wiring diagrams and workshop manuals can be found at http://www.the-t-bar.com/community/downloads

I am interested in fitting a MGF steering column to one of my other cars so how you've adapted it to work on you car would be great.

Nickxk150

Post by Nickxk150 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:27 am

Hi Rod shears is the engineer who has adapted the column you can get the article on line,very helpful guy
Nick

talkingcars

Post by talkingcars » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:15 am

Ok, thanks, I'm yet to find it but I shall keep looking.

Nickxk150

Post by Nickxk150 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:13 pm

Hi again ,sorry I've not been on here for a while ,you can find the articles in the xkclub forum.
Would someone be able to tell me how to dismantle the steering column,I need to take the outer tube from the motor.
Nick

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:26 pm

Re-setting the steering column potentiometers covered here: http://mgf.ultimatemg.com/group2/common ... /index.htm

James is right: EPAS faults are not logged via the engine management system - so is not available to the vast majority (all?) generic EOBD readers. Incorrect EPAS alignment data can however be obtained from Testbook (MG Rover's own diagnostic equipment). Currently I don't believe this is possible on the pscan.eu, but I know that Phil is working on it! :)

pscan.eu

Post by pscan.eu » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:01 am

I am long overdue with the Epas protocol; in fact I am starting to feel guilty as it is a broken promise. I am pretty sure that it will be possible to make amends by releasing the software for it by the end of this week.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:15 pm

Nice one Philip - thanks!

BTW, has anyone requested access to the Stepspeed gearbox ECU? Unfortunately, I don't have access to one of these cars myself - but it is probably one of the last ECUs on the car with no accessibility other than through Testbook (other than the conundrum that is the Pektron SCU).

pscan.eu

Post by pscan.eu » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:43 pm

The EPAS protocol is done, I am just struggling to test it on an actual car. I could go over to Rob's place but that will cost me at least 2 hours which I just don't have this weekend.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:05 am

I didn't get home until after 10 on Friday! But should be back at a reasonable time one evening this week Philip, if you wanted to pop round on your way back from work?

pscan.eu

Post by pscan.eu » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:50 pm

I managed to test the EPAS protocol and it seems to work well.

I did the thing of revving the engine for 30 seconds to make the warning light come on.
Interestingly erasing the code would not make it go away, I had to actually drive the car to make it go away. I tried with the real T4 and it was the same with that so I don't think that there is anything I can do about that.

talkingcars

Post by talkingcars » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:06 pm

TBH Philip, the fault is still there until you drive the car.
Pleased you are making progress on this.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:18 pm

It's interesting that the EPAS fault light and the diagnostic system are separate!

What is the difference between "Main torque" and "Sub torque"? I presume that this is giving us data on the torque sensor positions (clockwise versus counter clockwise positions). If in the straight ahead position, I'd imagine that they'd both be equal values?

pscan.eu

Post by pscan.eu » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:06 pm

If you have a pscan.eu unit you can upgrade the software now and try it out.

talkingcars

Post by talkingcars » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:16 pm

pscan.eu wrote:If you have a pscan.eu unit you can upgrade the software now and try it out.
Thanks, will try it at the next opportunity.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:17 pm

Will do! :)