steptronic gear shift

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Pmill52
MGF Register Region: North West

steptronic gear shift

Post by Pmill52 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:21 pm

Hello yet again guys.

Regarding my Steptronic, i have changed the Lamda Sensors due to rough idle issue, that sorted, i have pumped up the suspension, that sorted, it started not shifting up in Auto mode, so i changed the CVT fluid, that sorted that, or so i thought.
Just been out in it to settle the suspension after pumping it up and its started its old non shift issue "again"
What have i got to do to make this bloody car happy????
Does anyone know why its still that unhappy it will not shift up gear in Auto Mode??

Regards :x

Reckless Rat
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Re: steptronic gear shift

Post by Reckless Rat » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:30 pm

Have you shouted "Change up you Bastard" at it very loudly?
Failing that are all the connections good?

Pmill52

Post by Pmill52 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:43 pm

Hi.

Lol, yes i have shouted at it very loudly, and the sob still won't do as i ask.
Can you please explain what connections i have to check??
I know very little about these cars but have done loads on classic cars, any advise and pointers would be appreciated!!

Geoff.F
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by Geoff.F » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:06 pm

"Not shifting up" is not enough info to diagnose a fault. Do the gear lever rainbow lights show correctly ?? What is the Speedo head indicator showing ?? have you checked/cleaned the gearbox sensor connections ?? Is the car driving in default mode ?? Is the gearbox controller fuse in the boot OK and clean ??. and more.
Geoff F.

Reckless Rat
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Post by Reckless Rat » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:06 am

what he said...

Pmill52

Post by Pmill52 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:51 pm

ok here goes, the lights that come on red on the right side of the shifter work "Intermitently" there are no codes when scanned, so i assume that the car is working in standard mode, and not Limp home mode, don't know why the light on the left that tell u what gear you are in work intermitently, they just do, would this make a difference to the shifting up operation??.
I thought they were for display purposes only.

Regards

Geoff.F

Post by Geoff.F » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:42 pm

Pmill52 wrote:ok here goes, the lights that come on red on the right side of the shifter work "Intermitently" I thought they were for display purposes only.

Regards
No , they show the selected gear which then controls the gearbox.
Failed Gear Selector Rainbow Switch UGD100010 £182.51 from Rimmer Bros. and a pain to change.
In 2005 when MG went Bankrupt, a Dealer put a complete gear control leaver assembly on E-Bay with a starting price of £50 , nobody else wanted it so it is in my loft.
Geoff F.

Pmill52

Post by Pmill52 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:30 pm

Ok, have stripped out the mechanism to check it over and got my hands on a good selector rainbow.
How the bloody hell do you uncouple the gear stick from that small plastic peice under it??
Got everything else out for checking.

Geoff.F

Post by Geoff.F » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:45 am

I do not know how you are aattacking it.
Give the gear knob a sharp pull and it will come off.
Prise the ring of the boot from the tunnel and remove.
The switch is on top.
To remove the front screw, remove the lower dash.
To remove the rear screw, cut a small "V" in the rear of the tunnel aperture.
Geoff F

Pmill52

Post by Pmill52 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:41 pm

I have got everything out, just need to get the bottom of the gear stick off that little alloy bit that connects the stick to the cable.
It's some kind of rivet that has a collar on it, no thread to unwind it, just riveted through, how does that come appart??

Geoff.F

Post by Geoff.F » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:21 am

My best suggestion would be to put it all back together and then use my method.
T replaced the switch, cleaned the old one and carry it as a spare. I am now able to change it in half an hour in some desolate part of Europe by the roadside.
I did not go any further however the assembly in the loft includes the cable so I will investigate later today and let you know.

Pmill52

Post by Pmill52 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:52 pm

Yeh ok thanks, looking at it the only way i can see it will come apart is to either drill the pin out, or tap it out with a punch.
To be honest i would rather just replace the whole shift unit, i have a replacement one on its way, the way its been connected to the cable clearly has not thought out in terms of repair or replacement, silly bloody rivet through the link from the stick to the cable, you would be well screwed if you had to changed the whole shift mechanism out on a limb. They should of used some sort of spring clip set up.

Regards.

Geoff.F

Post by Geoff.F » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:51 pm

Pmill52 wrote:t. They should of used some sort of spring clip set up.

Regards.
That is exactly what they did. On the RH side there is an arm with a clip that goes around the cable end rod.
Looking from the RH side, rotate it 90 Deg anticlockwise to dis-engage the clip and pull it out.
Geoff F.

Pmill52

Post by Pmill52 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:50 pm

Decided to put all the mechanical bits back together and just change all the electrical switches and components around the shifter.
It's just too problematic trying to change the lot. Even trying to reassemble the mechanical's is proving a nightmare. why the bloody hell did they not put a captive nut under the three shifter mixing points??
One drops out you have zero chance of getting the bolt back under that mounting section, as has happened with the top one on mine. i never ever want to work on this part of the vehicle again!!!