Dampers on 160

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Alan D.
MGF Register Region: Scotland
Model of Car: TF160, TF135, MGF, +

Dampers on 160

Post by Alan D. » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:11 am

I have VHS kit with OE springs on my current 160

I want the same quality ride for my new one.

Do I go for the more expensive VHS Bilstein again (not only costlier to buy but need to be fitted professionally so more cost plus I need it done before Highlander on 13th May and the car is in getting painted at the moment so I'll potentially have very little window for this).
Also it would be going with 12 year old springs which may not be a good plan.
Or are the LE500 comfort kits on offer from several eBay suppliers just about as good?
The big advantage apart from cost is the fact they come as a kit for a straight swap (as far as I can see but I am as technically capable as a slice of toast). Hopefully this means with some help it could be a DIY job).
There was a brown & Gammons comfort kit that apparently was the MY05 set up so I'm presuming it's just the same as these LE500 sets which are apparently new but old factory stock.

I want to order today so although I've spoken to a couple of owners already any further input would be helpful.

Thanks
Alan
One can never have too many MG's :sf:

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Re: Dampers on 160

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:24 am

What comes with the kit Alan? MY2005 spec suspension also comes with different anti-roll bars as well as springs (and dampers?)

I don't know if anyone has undertaken a back-to-back comparison, but that would be an interesting test to undertake.

I am not sure whether you'll get an answer in the time frame you have, so it may be a case of closing your eyes and diving in!

For what it is worth, I have Bilsteins on both my MGFs (Tech-Speed spec), and they've been brilliant. The VHS kit uses Bilsteins (albeit rated for MGF suspension) which makes the standard suspension ride and function the way that Andy, Alan and Wayne wanted it to in the first place. On that basis I'd go for the VHS dampers rather than the My2005 which was really designed to offset the impact of the cheap dampers had on the original design. i.e. it's a design fix to overcome a flawed component... But it is a solution that appears to work?

Over to you Alan! ;)

Alan D.

Post by Alan D. » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:45 am

Thanks Rob

I don't know what an anti roll bar is. (I would have thought hoops type of thing behind seats)
Is this something that might be done after? Is it an easy task even if needs done at the same time?

Alan

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:29 pm

The anti roll bar, known in America as a sway bar, helps eliminate body yaw and keeps or maintains rigidity. Too thick then it can be unforgiving, too thin it will not be of any use.

It sits unseen underneath the car rather than behind the seats or dashboard.

I can only compare my TF on standard springs and Bilsteins shocks to an 85LE I have been driving recently and a 2010 TF of a friend which I have been riding in.

My TF is superb, nothing bad to say, it does everything I throw at it or where I go with it, I'm so confident of this car it's always available for others to try as a guide to what to buy. Hard cornering, fast driving, nothing concerns me and Dawn too, she's happy to push it hard. Bilstein's are on the middle setting so 10mm lower with the standard Sports Pack.

The 85LE is hard as a rock and not comfortable at all, although it should be, maybe it's never been greased or tyre pressures wrong (I run 28F/34R by the way). It's still on it's original GSD2's.

The 2010 TF is lovely, a nice comfortable ride in fact even better now it's on Falken 914's. Completely standard suspension and same tyre pressures as me.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:49 pm

Hi Alan, as Adrian rightly says, it is a suspension component that prevents the car from "rolling" (or rather leaning) when cornering. The MY2005 suspension uses softer springs, so will resist roll less well, so these cars are fitted with thicker antiroll bars to counter act this. The MY2010 kits being sold would need to include the antiroll bar along with the springs.

Changing the 'bars would not be a huge amount more work than changing the springs, so the labour cost probably won't be massively different when compared to say just changing the dampers. But yes, you should fit them along with the springs at the same time.

Adrian - which would you recommend: Bilsteins and standard pre-MY2005 suspension, or the MY2010 set up? You're uniquely placed to compare side by side :)

Alan D.

Post by Alan D. » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:04 pm

The Aurora came on GSD2's (always my preferred tyre choice) and with a brand new set as spare.
Is it safe to assume the 2010 cars are using the same kit as the LE500's?

Alan

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:32 pm

Yes - they'll be the same. The 85LE had more changes, but that isn't what you'll be buying :)

Alan D.

Post by Alan D. » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:41 pm

Thanks again

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:45 pm

Rob Bell wrote: Adrian - which would you recommend: Bilsteins and standard pre-MY2005 suspension, or the MY2010 set up? You're uniquely placed to compare side by side :)
Rob, I cannot comment on other shock absorber brands but I am happy to write about standard springs as fitted to the car in standard Sports pack configuration and then fitting the Bilstein's. It's not all about the damping effect as many people believe, that is very good and the car feels very sure footed, even better when I fit the Falkens later in the year but the main perceived and actual effect is on the car's handling especially when you push it hard into a corner this has to be admired.

People will say how well their car corners, mine did before but it's even better now. You have so much confidence and faith you're happy to push hard to find the breakaway point where you can do so of course. It just goes around corners like it was on rails, the outside corner just does not dip and full stability remains until you power up. In fact the weak spot are the tyres, they can only do so much of course but the enjoyment is in the drive and the driveability.

With standard springs I have a very comfortable car on long journeys but one that really can cut it given the opportunity and with 167.4 bhp available driving it keeps a smile on my face especially with the Daytona, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Vader, cylinder head mods and the re-map.

The MY2010 set up is comfortable but I have not been in a position to try it hard as it's not my car. Riding as passenger I can tell you there's a noticeable difference between the GSD2's and the Falkens, they are much better and quieter. I'll ask Michael for a ride while we're in Germany in August so I can form an opinion on this.

The pre MY2005, as is standard on the 80th anniversary, rides quite firm but not uncomfortable as such but the main difference is when the shock absorber has to work hard for example controlling a corner. I know the spring takes the weight but the nose dips and control does not feel comfortable, with the Bilsteins I often corner with one hand as the other is on the gear lever or holding the bottom of the seat to maintain my stability, especially when cornering hard to the right as you have no door to lean on.

We don't really have the roads in the UK to do this but in Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Norway and Luxembourg as experience you can (I know, maybe you shouldn't, don't tell me off).
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

Alan D.

Post by Alan D. » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:09 am

My main thing is that I want it to feel like every other car ie smooth and not bouncy ride.
The VHS kit sorted it so hopefully the LE500 dampers/springs I just bought will do the same job. I just don't understand how anyone could live with the standard dampers. I see TFs driving along the motorway in front of me and I can see them bouncing up and down.

As for the anti roll bar. I can't see this item on eBay, Gammons, etc. I see lots of parts like 'drop links or bushes' whatever they are. I thought I'd be just looking for a long metal bar that would be an easily swapped item but do I need a load of ancillary bits too?

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:58 pm

Alan, the ARB is a shaped metal bar that connects both sides of the car. It sits in bushes where it attaches to the car. It's easily removable as the bushes wear and need replacing over the years.

The drop links you refer to are more suspension related than ARB, they too can wear but if you are going to convert to 85LE spec the drop link (known as and looks like a dog bone) is different to other cars. Here's a picture of the front of an 85LE in the factory, you can see the Bilstein in place and bottom left of centre the dog bone between the lower and upper suspension brackets :

Look on the Rimmer Bros on-line catalogue and you will see more of what I mean.